What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

METAL!!!!

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
willostat said:
why dont you like justice? a jason newstead thing? no cliff burton?
Im a pre black guy I guess. Love justice.

I asked myself the same thing! haha. To each their own - I myself appreciate black album for what it was but cant stand much after it.

soulfly22583

Veteran
haha yeah i can see that but i still held out faith for Justice and Black album, haha. Lars though lost all of my respect A LONG LONG time ago. To me James seems like he keeps doing this cause its his job, not cause he loves it anymore.

Has anyone picked up the new Lamb Of God DVD called "Walk with me in Hell"? Im planning on getting it soon but was curious if anyone had a review on it yet =)

G

Slayer, Metallica (pre Bob Rock), Pantera, those three are about all the 80s and 90s metal I care for. Saw Slayer 3 times, Metallica once, Pantera twice, got the scars! lol Saw Machinehead twice too.

Black Sabbath, no-one mentioned them yet!

Recently I've been listening to a load of proto-metal - Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Humble Pie, it's all good!

This is one of my all-time top tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSKxQmnYtc&feature=related

Slayer's version of 'In-a-gadda-da-vida' baby

But let's remember where it all began - the Church Bell at the beginning of this track marks the beginning of heavy metal, four lads from Bum who just wanted to scare the shit out of people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yntdJ1kDI4

Last edited:
Ganja you are right, how could I forget the beginning? Black Sabbath is the shit! But yeah the whole Metallica thing, I could almost see it fall apart after Burton died.

FiveLeggedGoat

I'm not a real goat.™
Veteran
Metallica
Testament (new album "Formation of Damnation" kicks ass)
Pantera
Slayer
Acid Bath
God Forbid
Sepultura
Black Label Society
Exodus
Trivium
Down
Crowbar
Iced Eath

Just to name a few.....didnt realise there are so many metalheads here.

Is anyone lookin forward to "Death Magnetic" from MetallicA? I read on blabbermouth that it is supposed to be closer to their older work.....solos are back and songs are like 8-9 mins long. Gonna be released in Sept.

EDIT: Dang, how could I forget Megadeth....

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
cant believe i saw not one, but two people hittin on pissing razors!!! fuckin rockin!!!! i did see cannibal corpse, but no 6 feet under? give it up for his newest show!! i noticed the comments bout post black metallica, gotta agree the music wasnt as hard, but those boys broke the final metal barrier down, so they get the respect even today! i mean, slayer are the only metal MULTI millionaires that managed to stay just as pissed off today as they were the day they got started!!! dont forget ronnie james dio. how bout pro pain? shit i could go on forever......if you live in portland or. or anchorage ak. and you know hyperthermia-give me a shout!!!!!

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Real Metallica
Pantera
Testament
Helmet
Rob Zombie and/or White Zombie
Korn, for their pioneering early sound
Ozzy/Sabbath
Yngwie!
Willie Nelson

CC said Yngwie ... Remember when he added the "J" like another Yngwie Malmsteen was going to try and pose ... Too funny ... Talkin Guitar hmmm That guitar piece "Beginning of the end" by Testament was Sweeeeeet too ... I saw Mega Deth Testament and Annhilator at the U of Md. back in the day. Most Vicious pit? 3 Way TIE Lollapalooza 2 Ministry broke out Supernaut and the shit broke loose ... nothing quite like the taste of weed dirt blood and sweat ... Pantera, Skeleton and Hangman at the Bayou DC people were coming off the stacks and balconies Danzig I think Prong and Nudeswirl Hammerjacks Baltimore Md. Same as Pantera people were diving Everywhere and the whole joint was a pit.

thatguy

Anyone else think the Ozzfest isn't even worth it this year?

I'm jealous of you Europeans. You guys get all the fun during the summer, leaving us Americans with crap!

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Anyone else think the Ozzfest isn't even worth it this year?

I'm jealous of you Europeans. You guys get all the fun during the summer, leaving us Americans with crap!

I have been to 4 - my first being in 2001. Each year has gotten a little worse. I am happy to see them pretty much laying down their fight with one last show in Texas. Go out and let the new breed of tours do the rounds.

I too am very envious of the European festival circuit. I have spoke to many people that have told me its like a time where you see families taking vacations and going to these musical festivals. I would love to do that!

Anyone seen any good shows lately? Last show I saw was Hemlock/Meshugga/Ministry at House of Blues New Orleans - great fucking time!

thatguy

I started going to the Ozzfest in 99. In my opinion, 01 was the worst year i went. Too many radio-friendly bands.

However, as the years went by, I got a little sick of seeing BLS every year. Zack's great and all, but why the hell couldn't they rotate that spot some over 5 years, for Chrissake?

Soulfly, I'm jealous. My mother lives in the Marinie, just bought a house :D and I visited for new year, and no goddamn shows! Made me sad, man. Did Katrina take all the metalheads with her, too?

I saw Chimaira, Soilent Green(!!!!!N'Awlins!!!!!!), and Dethklok a couple of weeks ago. Damn good show. Puffed with the bassist from Chimaira after the show.

I was a little pissed, though, that Soilent Green wasn't around NOLA when I was there, but now, halfway across the country, is when I get to see them.

All the best,
TG

FiveLeggedGoat

I'm not a real goat.™
Veteran
Chimara is fuggin' awesome. The solo in Salvation off their self-titled cd is bad ass....

Good to see a fellow loosianian thatguy.

thatguy

Actually,5LG, I'm only half. I live up in New England. But NOLA has a special place in my heart. Nowhere even remotely like it. Great food, killer beer (Abita's the shit!), beautiful landscape, and some really nice people. Although the Quarter can be a dangerous ass place when you're drunk as hell at 3AM.

Have to admit, I've fallen off Chimaira's stuff in the last several years. I really loved Pass Out of Existence. When their 2nd album didn't sound the same, I kind of stopped listening to them. By the time I really gave them another real listen, I'd already gone off on my metalcore trip.

So now my favorite bands either hail from NOLA or New England, for the most part.

Last edited:

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy - haha, im actually over near the Mobile area. My friends band (hemlock) was opening for ministry so thats why I went over. HOB NOLA gets some good shows for metal at times, just got to keep an eye on their webpage.

Chimaira in my opinion is slowly progressing as musicians. There live show is still fucking awesome though - no way to argue that one.

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
i remember seeing chimaira opening up for slayer in 01 or 02 cant really remember, but their guitarist about got his ass beat by some huge security fella that warned him not to spit on his head, he spit on him again and all hell broke loose.
Chimaira - Pure Hatred

Last edited:

soulfly22583

Veteran
buckeye-leaf said:
i remember seeing chimaira opening up for slayer in 01 or 02 cant really remember, but their guitarist about got his ass beat by some huge security fella that warned him not to spit on his head, he spit on him again and all hell broke loose.
Chimaira - Pure Hatred
haha - i remember those tours! They actually did a tour with Slayer in 02 and 03. Ive seen Chimaira and Lamb of God tour a BUNCH! Aww those are some damn good memories \m/