What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

xp to unbuntu

Gry

Well, when motherboard went about the same time as XP expired, I figured it was time to try unbuntu on an old backup machine. I am real impressed with what I see so far but - I cannot get the video or audio players working. Other than that, I have got to say , it seems pretty swift.
When think about how much I have contributed to the Gates empire, I find myself wondering why I never tried something else once I caught onto the option of multiboot. Oh well, I guess better late than never. Now if only I can figure out the flash workaround !

axxess

use VLC to play movies and audio and download adobe flash player get them both from the ubuntu software center tab

Gry

12.04 LTS is what is current at the moment. Should have done it long ago.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go 14.04 lts, use xfce desktop. Then apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree && apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras. Welcome to linux, you'll hate windows soon. Any questions pm me. For sound check your drivers. Sometimes they can be a pain but with any buntu it's all simple.

Hi Gry and Kaotic. Welcome to the linux world Gry. It will seem challenging at first but worth the effort. If you want to run win programs don't forget that many work with WINE on linux. For those that don't there are many virtual machine options like virtualbox. I use crunchbang which is debian with openbox window manager. Minimalistic and good. I even have the wife using it now which has greatly reduced my time spent "fixing" her computer. More gardening time :D

Gry

Thank you each. I have to say I am liking the feel of it more and more with the passage of time. Running an old 32 bit machine with a gig of ram in it, but it feels quick. One more slowly recovering windows user.
I wish I had done it back when I was first introduced to multiboot options.

MIway

Veteran
You could check out pureos... And one of their new computers. Seems about the best for privacy/security that we can expect anymore. They have a stripped down and open os, plus hardware that supports it, even open bios...

https://puri.sm/philosophy/

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I boot Fedora from a thumbdrive on a tiny notebook.
Gotta say, I'm very impressed with it.

Aloha,
Weeze

amanda88

Well, when motherboard went about the same time as XP expired, I figured it was time to try unbuntu on an old backup machine. I am real impressed with what I see so far but - I cannot get the video or audio players working. Other than that, I have got to say , it seems pretty swift.
When think about how much I have contributed to the Gates empire, I find myself wondering why I never tried something else once I caught onto the option of multiboot. Oh well, I guess better late than never. Now if only I can figure out the flash workaround !

if you are rocking now with Ubuntu,

consider loading Kubuntu, built for machines at the XP level

cheers/