What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VPN

dddaver

Veteran
A little background first, I live in a rural area (not WAY 0UT, but very private, I do wanna be left alone by most of these hicks 'round here). I used dial-up for years because that was all that was available out here, no cable, no DSL, and I don't want satellite because it's not only expensive but cumulus clouds can block the signal, and I get a lot of those here, so broadband was out. I really used to love hearing AT&T's excuses that their lines weren't meant to carry computer data. I would think, "Yeah and? Get with that reality program or get the fuck off the pot, jerks" So finally I went wifi when that became available here so I could get broadband, but that meant using a mobile wifi device, or hotspot. From what I've read those things are insecure and you really need to button down your connection as best you can. So I learned how to not broadcast my SSDI, and connect only my computers to the router using MAC addresses, and password protect everything, and whatever else I could think of.

MY latest adventure has me using a free VPN. It is also called "tunneling". From what I gather, your browsing requests are all filtered through one server. They advertize that not even your ISP can see where you have surfed. I'm impressed. It might be a tad slower but not much. My IP address is hidden. I'm sure a hacker could get it but it wouldn't be easy. I'm using one of the most popular ones right now (15 mil.users) and the free version is ad supported by a bar at the top of your screen but you can shut that bar off if you're reading, for example, and it bothers you. I recommend anyone concerned about privacy at all should do this.

So, I just set this up yesterday so I'm new to this. So far I'm impressed. Any suggestions on anything about VPN?

S

SeaMaiden

Who or what are you tunneling through? I've only ever set up and used a virtual private network going specifically from one computer to another (remotely located from each other). It's been a LONG time since I've set up a VPN, for any reason, including ftping reasons.

dddaver

Veteran
Who or what are you tunneling through? I've only ever set up and used a virtual private network going specifically from one computer to another (remotely located from each other). It's been a LONG time since I've set up a VPN, for any reason, including ftping reasons.

They are called Hotspot Shield by Anchor Free, based in San Jose, CA. There are quite a few of these outfits. That's the one I'm using at the moment, but that may change as I learn more about it. I had heard of this before but never tried it. It is amazingly simple now. I just noticed I don't think it works on https connections, like how I connect to ICMAG.

Actually, when using them, you are putting a fair amount of trust with them. I don't see the gotchya's, yet anyway. I think the data I have protected already is not accessible by them but I'm sure the people there are VERY computer literate though and could hack it if they wanted. I'm not any big law breaking person though anyway, other than growing a little weed, so it doesn't really matter that much. It WOULD suck if they got account numbers though.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I simply use https

Nothing is going to protect you if someone is actively interested in what you're doing... spent too many years in computers and tech to believe differently.

https is simply brown paper packages from icmag... the isp knows I'm going there but they are unable to open the package (again... unless they really want to) and read what's inside.

When I lived in a non-medical state I used programs that found public proxies and jumped to a different proxy server with each page refresh or new page request. I'd imagine it's more difficult to do these days, not sure.

TOR is definitely an option, though slower than regular traffic.. depending.

Best would be to set up a VPN (More brown boxes) with a friend in a medical state... their ISP doesn't care if they're hanging out on icmag or whatnot and they still only see brown paper packages. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

dddaver

Veteran
you heard of TOR?

I think maybe you meant have I ever tried TOR, or maybe you DID mean have I ever heard of it. OF COURSE. I think most people at this site have. But in answer, yes on both counts. I have just found it way to slow on my connection and use it only for very private things and very sparingly. Not for everyday surfing.

I have had trouble with https in that some sites won't allow it in or don't transmit their data using it. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I've found it very limiting.

In 15 years I've never seen someone report a problem. Theoretically they could track you but unless you're a commercial grower pulling lots of juice, why would they bother? You probably just make yourself look suspicous by going through proxies and all this here high-tech shit.

S

SeaMaiden

Since I do everything online, including my banking, I see the need for security. But, not *from* my ISP. From others hacking the signal.

Ddd, we have a friend who's in a location in NorCal that's remote enough that they cannot get any type of inet service, I believe that dial-up is going the way of the do-do. So they got one of those hotspot dealios. Gotta say they're not terribly happy with it, it's about as good and reliable as satellite inet service. Hopefully the quality improves.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
In 15 years I've never seen someone report a problem. Theoretically they could track you but unless you're a commercial grower pulling lots of juice, why would they bother? You probably just make yourself look suspicous by going through proxies and all this here high-tech shit.

Quote from a local officer in non-medical, do 3 years for a seed on the floor of a rental car, Nevada... (Hell of a slip of the lip)

"Oh yeah... you're the one that surfs in that black hole."

Apparently the local isp and po-po have been in bed together for years. Luckily I was using proxy jumping to reach CW and OG.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

dddaver

Veteran

See, I know that to be true, but I think that suspicious thing is really a bogus way to operate and has absolutely no practical application. I think maybe it's mostly people from my generation that value their privacy way more than this generation and will make efforts to protect that, just for general purposes. I have no idea why any American would think that by sharing his personal information he would have anything to gain by it. I feel the inroads to that dangerous in the long term. But my opinions seem to differ from the majority. Like I really don't understand paying for an expensive shirt that has the NIKE logo or swoosh on it. They should pay me for the free advertizing.

Instead of just agreeing and taking everything that is offered, people might want to be a little more discerning and cautious. But again, that is just MY opinion and I really don't care what anyone else does unless it really effects me or mine. That shit does.