What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Critical: Read this if you use Tor Browser

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
That is great for you, but many people are not so lucky as to live in a med state, or able to stay within their recommendation.

That said, it's not not a good idea to suggest people should not protect their anonymity. What if someone got busted because they took your advise? What I mean is, why not err on the side of caution? At least you have a sound point; folks like Stress_test spreading FUD about Tor are a real danger to folks who need/want anonymity.

WHOA there... I never suggested that people shouldn't protect their anonymity.

What I said was that I don't believe that TOR will do it for the average user.

I also said that I believe TOR has too many documented leaks, backdoors, and holes to be considered secure.

And I do consider that on the cautious side, opposed to the documented security leaks in the TOR system.

spurr

Veteran
Dude your funny I'm not going to be baited into a argument about this stupid shit.

I am not trying to argue with you, there is nothing to argue about. You don't think you need to be anonymous, and that's great, but many other people do think they should be anonymous, which is also great. I was honest when I wrote it's great you don't think you need to worry. The questions I asked were rhetorical.

ICMAG IS EXTREMLY SECURE THE MODS WE HAVE HERE MAKE SURE OF THAT.

I for one try not to trust my security in the hands of anyone besides myself. ICmag is not secure in terms of IP addresses being recorded on their way to ICmag. And I do not know if ICmag keeps IP logs or not, if it does, then the admins should not be doing so.

Icmag offers little security if a user is not using HTTPS; and how do I know the passphrases used by admins are strong enough, and rotated often enough? Also, I for one would never trust using PMs as being 'secure'; admins can read PMs I am pretty sure. I use GPG for passing personal info when it's appropriate. Those are security issues.

Security and anonymity are not the same thing. :ying:

spurr

Veteran
spurr said:
folks like Stress_test spreading FUD about Tor are a real danger to folks who need/want anonymity.

WHOA there... I never suggested that people shouldn't protect their anonymity.

And I never claimed you suggested such a thing. I wrote you are spreading FUD, and that's a fact, you are.

What I said was that I don't believe that TOR will do it for the average user.

Which is patently false, that is an instance of FUD. Tor is geared for average and advanced users a like. Tor is very simple to use, especially if using Tor Browser for web-surfing and IRC.

The only major caveates people need to know about in terms of using Tor correctly are: (1) use HTTPS whenever possible; (2) use TorButton with Firefox (comes default with TorBrowser); (3) only use Firefox with Tor at this time (comes default with TorBrowser); (4) JavaScript can allow attacks against anonymity and security, thus disabling JS whenever possible is wise; (5) do not use a website that knows your real identity at the same time as using a website that knows your pseudonym, unless you use different routes for both sites via. New Nym (i.e., New Identity button in Vidalia); (6) cookies can break your anonymity, thus make sure to clear cookies from anonymous surfing before surfing when your identity is known.

Number 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are valid for ANY proxy people use, not just Tor.

I also said that I believe TOR has too many documented leaks, backdoors, and holes to be considered secure.

More FUD. Documented leaks and holes? What is that supposed to mean? Any bugs in code that "leaks" personal info is fixed before it's made public; and there have been zero leaks in terms of fully breaking anonymity.

There are no backdoors in Tor, that is your worst FUD yet; unless you can prove otherwise. And if you can prove there is a backdoor to Tor, you would be instantly famous because there are countless computer scientists the world over who have reviewed Tor code (as well as U.S. gov. and military) and tried to attack Tor looking for weaknesses.

And I do consider that on the cautious side, opposed to the documented security leaks in the TOR system.

Stop spreading FUD, or prove your claims. And don't cite the info about the guy running a rouge exit node on HTTP as a "leak"; it is no such thing. For ages Tor has told people to use HTTPS whenever possible. Anyone using any proxy, and no proxy at all, should strive to use HTTPS whenever possible. Your ISP has access to much more info than the guy running the rouge exit node, your ISP not only sees all traffic on HTTP links, but also your IP address and DNS quarries!

DasFox

this post is coming from someone who doesnt know much about browers and all that configuration stuff...

from the title, it sounded like Tor Browser is a program itself, but reading on thru ur post it sounds like Tor Browser is an addon for firefox? can someone please clarify this for me
Tech here...

Tor is added to Firefox in the Tor browser bundle with Vidalia...Tor is a program that uses multiple computers to hide your IP address, Vidalia is a program and Firefox is a browser...

THANKS

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I as not going to reply but you sure do like to argue with everyone you encounter. Maybe this site is not for you. Most of us here are about peace and love. You on the other hand have some issues. Stop worry about what other people are doing makes you look like a troll. This will be my last response here have fun people.

spurr

Veteran
@ Hammerhead,

I am not sure if that was to me, or not. I do think it was, but in any case: ummm, OK, thanks for clearing that up for us.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Stop worry about what other people are doing makes you look like a troll.

Gotta agree with that statement.

And did you have to create an entirely new thread to let people know about the fact that TOR has issues and that they need to update stuff? Couldn't of just added it to one of your other multiple TOR threads?

Very few people use it and as you can see from the response, nobody really cares either so creating multiple threads (especially one where your "super important and required" resource is faulty and needs fixing/constant checking of a blog to look for updates) is sort of annoying.

How about people who want to know more about TOR can message you, and you stop creating so many useless threads.

DasFox

I as not going to reply but you sure do like to argue with everyone you encounter. Maybe this site is not for you. Most of us here are about peace and love. You on the other hand have some issues. Stop worry about what other people are doing makes you look like a troll. This will be my last response here have fun people.
WHAT...?

I have 15 posts to date...NO ARGUMENTS...!!

Don't appreciate being lied at...:moon:

THANKS

spurr

Veteran
WHAT...?

I have 15 posts to date...NO ARGUMENTS...!!

Don't appreciate being lied at...:moon:

THANKS

Don't sweat it, I think he/she was refereeing to me anyway. Just try to ignore the naysayers, if they don't want to be anonymous that's fine. That said, they should not try to convince other people to not be anonymous.

Every person has their own "threat model" for online/offline anonymity and security. Ex., a person in the US, say in Tennessee, would have a higher threat model for posting about growing cannabis and posting pics, than a med grower in California.

:tiphat:

Green Phoenix

Spurr : Thanks for the info

Spurr : Thanks for the info

...I for one appreciate all the instruction and information given by Spurr in this and other threads. I have taken some time and followed the instructions given and I definitely feel alot safer. Anyways.. just wanted to say thanks.:bongsmi: