What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old wood working tools and hand planes.

M.R.GT

Veteran
love and cherish old wood working tools.
collect and use them every day.

hammers
saws
planes
wrenches
draw knives
spoke shaves
chisels

you name it. Been picking them up here and there for some time. mostly turn of the century American, English and German. Only high quality.

Early Stanley, Sargent, Swann, Disston.....

when they say they don't make them like they used to they mean it.

Anyone else like old sharp things?

intotheunknown

Veteran
I can respect your love for tools.
I dont collect old woodworking tools, mostly all automotive tools as I use them daily.

My grandfather had a nice collection of old planes, etc. I wish I would have acquired them when he passed.

M.R.GT

Veteran
should have got those. some are pretty valuable. its not always the value but the skill of the craftsman that created it.

Using these tools feels as if I inherited just a bit of the skill possessed by those true artisans. These will all pass to my son. Hopefully he will get the same felling.

Take care
Gt

M.R.GT

Veteran
I agree 100%

It amazes me how many people who cant sharpen a blade. Every piece I have came with the most god awful attempt at sharpening. usually takes hour with jig just to get the bevel back 25 degrees on planer irons. Draw knives are even worse. Almost always been burned on a grinder. Just right to ruin a fine temper on a high quality blade.

The very thing my father would have skint me up over.

nothing beats a high quality carbon steel blade and true translucent hard Arkansas stone.

Oh forgot. I collect sharpening stones. Cant have one without the other.

Latest posts

Latest posts