What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Else Collect Books?

C

CANNATOPIA

Do comic books count? :rolleyes:

I'm no bibliophile. My den does has four large bookshelves, filled to overflowing. I've read and reread them all and am always looking to add to the mess. Probably need to get more bookcases soon . . .
If They do , I have a TON! & good ones too. I even have an early issue of HULK. :) Here are my Canna-Books.
:wave:
picture.php

Madjag

Veteran
Bibliophile Watch

Bibliophile Watch

I have collected books since 1966 when I'd take the train into Chicago and scour the antiquarian bookstores.

Some notables:

- First Edition of Bret Harte's Luck of the Roaring Camp (SOLD)
- Parson's On The Creed - my oldest book, 1668, printed with old, hand-set type and
handmade leather binding, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in Bath, England in 1969
- H.G.Wells, 1st Edition of First Men On The Moon, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in
Bath, England in 1969 (SOLD)
- Thomas Merton, Seven Storey Mountain, 1st Edition
- Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Aldous Huxley's Essays Old and New
- Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Carlos Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming

and a few more.

I have about 2,000 volumes in my library: 6 or 7 rare martial arts books from a pen pal in Hong Kong that I traded a copy of Mas Oyama's This Is Karate in 1967 in exchange for the martial arts booklets/books; comics that I bought new, first editions that I found in Chicago in the 1960's, and many, many reference books that I have accumulated in my quest for information, knowledge, and wisdom at my fingertips, pre-internet!

My spiritual collection is my favorite, with a few odd volumes from India published by individual monasteries in the 1940's and 1950's. My cannabis collection and entheogen books rank right up there as well.

When I was about 10 years old, a professional butterfly collector in our neighborhood invited me and two friends into his home to see his butterfly collection. While there we walked through a room, his library, with four walls of floor-to-ceiling books. Ever since that day I have sought to have one myself. Now I do.

I'd be interested in selling a few of my martial arts books and a 30 page booklet from Hong Kong in Chinese (some English translation written in pencil to help understand the moves) on lesser-known Mantis moves. Private message me if you're interested. I sold one on eBay for $90 a few years ago. It was on Northern Praying Mantis.

bentom187

Veteran
very cool,i wish i understood mandarin,id love to learn whats in the 5 animal shaolin book, how old is it? do you think its anything original? or modern performance wushu? so many questions.........

theclearspot

I have collected books since 1966 when I'd take the train into Chicago and scour the antiquarian bookstores.

Some notables:

- First Edition of Bret Harte's Luck of the Roaring Camp (SOLD)
- Parson's On The Creed - my oldest book, 1668, printed with old, hand-set type and
handmade leather binding, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in Bath, England in 1969
- H.G.Wells, 1st Edition of First Men On The Moon, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in
Bath, England in 1969 (SOLD)
- Thomas Merton, Seven Storey Mountain, 1st Edition
- Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Aldous Huxley's Essays Old and New
- Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Carlos Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming

and a few more.

I have about 2,000 volumes in my library: 6 or 7 rare martial arts books from a pen pal in Hong Kong that I traded a copy of Mas Oyama's This Is Karate in 1967 in exchange for the martial arts booklets/books; comics that I bought new, first editions that I found in Chicago in the 1960's, and many, many reference books that I have accumulated in my quest for information, knowledge, and wisdom at my fingertips, pre-internet!

My spiritual collection is my favorite, with a few odd volumes from India published by individual monasteries in the 1940's and 1950's. My cannabis collection and entheogen books rank right up there as well.

When I was about 10 years old, a professional butterfly collector in our neighborhood invited me and two friends into his home to see his butterfly collection. While there we walked through a room, his library, with four walls of floor-to-ceiling books. Ever since that day I have sought to have one myself. Now I do.

I'd be interested in selling a few of my martial arts books and a 30 page booklet from Hong Kong in Chinese (some English translation written in pencil to help understand the moves) on lesser-known Mantis moves. Private message me if you're interested. I sold one on eBay for $90 a few years ago. It was on Northern Praying Mantis.

Beautiful piece. I never knew books where a 'hobby' really I just love to get lost in second hand/antique bookshops and can spend hours never knowing what to buy. fascinated by the idea of collecting First Editions..Im really into biographies of Philosophers and History books,.....:blowbubbles: