No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Collect Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you would like to shit joy from evey oriface read this book.

I'm unsure if I'm prepared for that much joy! I will put it on my ''To read'' list though. I'm a huge fan of I Ching which is another incredible book.
    Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Comment

i seen a copy at the store when i went ,and flipped through and at a glance it looks like a huge version of the dao.

Originally posted by jack Haze View Post
      if you would like to shit joy from evey oriface read this book.

I'm unsure if I'm prepared for that much joy! I will put it on my ''To read'' list though. I'm a huge fan of I Ching which is another incredible book.

its seriously awsome, it has somthing great to add to the everyday experience.youll be amazed by how much in life, just flies by unoticed.its not that expensive either.

Comment

I collect Cannabis books & Video Game Books.

Comment

I'm an avid sci-fi and fantasy reader. My first notable collections were of Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Crichton. I've also loved Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson, Orson Scott Card, Lois McMaster Bujold, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson... I used to read a lot of non-fiction, but I really get plenty of non-fiction in my life just from a career in engineering.
          professional amateur hippie shaman geek. I don't believe in long signatures. If you do, that's cool. peace!

Comment

Do comic books count?

I'm no bibliophile. My den does has four large bookshelves, filled to overflowing. I've read and reread them all and am always looking to add to the mess. Probably need to get more bookcases soon . . .
            Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
            Removes the colours from our sight,
            Red is gray and yellow white,
            But we decide which is right . . .

And which is an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlazer View Post
              Do comic books count?

I'm no bibliophile. My den does has four large bookshelves, filled to overflowing. I've read and reread them all and am always looking to add to the mess. Probably need to get more bookcases soon . . .
              If They do , I have a TON! & good ones too. I even have an early issue of HULK. Here are my Canna-Books.

Comment

^ nice -i was intrested in getting bogs book sometime ago have you read it?

heres my 2 latest

Comment

Bibliophile Watch

I have collected books since 1966 when I'd take the train into Chicago and scour the antiquarian bookstores.

Some notables:

- First Edition of Bret Harte's Luck of the Roaring Camp (SOLD)
                  - Parson's On The Creed - my oldest book, 1668, printed with old, hand-set type and
                  handmade leather binding, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in Bath, England in 1969
                  - H.G.Wells, 1st Edition of First Men On The Moon, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in
                  Bath, England in 1969 (SOLD)
                  - Thomas Merton, Seven Storey Mountain, 1st Edition
                  - Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Aldous Huxley's Essays Old and New
                  - Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Carlos Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming

and a few more.

I have about 2,000 volumes in my library: 6 or 7 rare martial arts books from a pen pal in Hong Kong that I traded a copy of Mas Oyama's This Is Karate in 1967 in exchange for the martial arts booklets/books; comics that I bought new, first editions that I found in Chicago in the 1960's, and many, many reference books that I have accumulated in my quest for information, knowledge, and wisdom at my fingertips, pre-internet!

My spiritual collection is my favorite, with a few odd volumes from India published by individual monasteries in the 1940's and 1950's. My cannabis collection and entheogen books rank right up there as well.

When I was about 10 years old, a professional butterfly collector in our neighborhood invited me and two friends into his home to see his butterfly collection. While there we walked through a room, his library, with four walls of floor-to-ceiling books. Ever since that day I have sought to have one myself. Now I do.

I'd be interested in selling a few of my martial arts books and a 30 page booklet from Hong Kong in Chinese (some English translation written in pencil to help understand the moves) on lesser-known Mantis moves. Private message me if you're interested. I sold one on eBay for $90 a few years ago. It was on Northern Praying Mantis.

Comment

Gung Fu Rarities

Gung Fu booklets/books:

Comment

More:

Comment

and more:

And of course, the first issue of Black Belt magazine:

Comment

very cool,i wish i understood mandarin,id love to learn whats in the 5 animal shaolin book, how old is it? do you think its anything original? or modern performance wushu? so many questions.........

Comment

Originally posted by Madjag View Post
                            I have collected books since 1966 when I'd take the train into Chicago and scour the antiquarian bookstores.

Some notables:

- First Edition of Bret Harte's Luck of the Roaring Camp (SOLD)
                            - Parson's On The Creed - my oldest book, 1668, printed with old, hand-set type and
                            handmade leather binding, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in Bath, England in 1969
                            - H.G.Wells, 1st Edition of First Men On The Moon, purchased at Bayntun & Brothers in
                            Bath, England in 1969 (SOLD)
                            - Thomas Merton, Seven Storey Mountain, 1st Edition
                            - Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Aldous Huxley's Essays Old and New
                            - Signed and numbered 1st Edition of Carlos Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming

and a few more.

I have about 2,000 volumes in my library: 6 or 7 rare martial arts books from a pen pal in Hong Kong that I traded a copy of Mas Oyama's This Is Karate in 1967 in exchange for the martial arts booklets/books; comics that I bought new, first editions that I found in Chicago in the 1960's, and many, many reference books that I have accumulated in my quest for information, knowledge, and wisdom at my fingertips, pre-internet!

My spiritual collection is my favorite, with a few odd volumes from India published by individual monasteries in the 1940's and 1950's. My cannabis collection and entheogen books rank right up there as well.

When I was about 10 years old, a professional butterfly collector in our neighborhood invited me and two friends into his home to see his butterfly collection. While there we walked through a room, his library, with four walls of floor-to-ceiling books. Ever since that day I have sought to have one myself. Now I do.

I'd be interested in selling a few of my martial arts books and a 30 page booklet from Hong Kong in Chinese (some English translation written in pencil to help understand the moves) on lesser-known Mantis moves. Private message me if you're interested. I sold one on eBay for $90 a few years ago. It was on Northern Praying Mantis.
                            Beautiful piece. I never knew books where a 'hobby' really I just love to get lost in second hand/antique bookshops and can spend hours never knowing what to buy. fascinated by the idea of collecting First Editions..Im really into biographies of Philosophers and History books,.....

Comment

I'm a lowride, computer and cannibis magazine collector
                              sigpic

PC Case Growers Club
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....543#post953543

Comment

Yes, I have been collecting books for years. Not so much now, but hopefully again in the future.

Nice thread!
                                "We're just a weed in the universe" Karl P.

"The problem with know it all's, is that they don't know, what they don't know." R.Fortune

"Deflect & Redirect. Attack preemptively, if trouble is coming your way." from Goldman Sachs, SOP

Comment

Working...
                                X