What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

watches?

rogerw

Dose anyone here collect watches? Reason is that I am going to buy a rolex to wear and to maybe use as an investment. I am looking at a date just with the orginial bracelet . The only one's I will even consider are certified by rolex and have the offical papers and numbers to match. I have always wanted 1 and figure why not ? they have taken a hit just like everything else has from houses to lane. so what once went for 4k is not about 2k . Any advice on these ? any one on here own 1 or collect them? Any advise would be helpful .

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'd be interested to see how you do, will you at least look in high end pawn shops? if certified by Rolex does that infer also being retailed by an authorized dealer? those guys aren't cheap and they do not bargain, they set the prices usually.

the 'daily wear' type of Rolex you're shopping for will certainly be found for less in this market.......

rogerw

Thanks ,
as far as the rolex dealer goes no it's their service shops . Times are tough and it seems to be reflecting on their prices also . Or it could be the rich are just upgrading lol. I will let you know if I luck out on my quest.

I'd be interested to see how you do, will you at least look in high end pawn shops? if certified by Rolex does that infer also being retailed by an authorized dealer? those guys aren't cheap and they do not bargain, they set the prices usually.

the 'daily wear' type of Rolex you're shopping for will certainly be found for less in this market.......

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wife bought me a new president for my b'day this year
yay2.gif

For pre-owned vintage watches Heritage in dallas has got a regular auction schedule, ha.com

shithawk420

Veteran
What makes Rolex so good anyways?the gold and diamonds?I've got a swiss army victorinox that's great and a fraction of the price.made in Swizz where the best are made

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
Marketing

Marketing

What makes Rolex so good anyways?the gold and diamonds?I've got a swiss army victorinox that's great and a fraction of the price.made in Swizz where the best are made

Backed up with a very reliable product.

Rolex does cast it's own gold. But diamonds do not increase the quality of any watch, only it's cost and it's desire to be stolen. :biggrin:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dose anyone here collect watches? Reason is that I am going to buy a rolex to wear and to maybe use as an investment. I am looking at a date just with the orginial bracelet . The only one's I will even consider are certified by rolex and have the offical papers and numbers to match. I have always wanted 1 and figure why not ? they have taken a hit just like everything else has from houses to lane. so what once went for 4k is not about 2k . Any advice on these ? any one on here own 1 or collect them? Any advise would be helpful .

hiya roger,,
best of luck with your purchase but please be very careful,,,,
papers and books are fine but like a high end car its important to check the service history,,if in doubt then take the back off and check for rolex components,,last service and who by and if something looks to good to be true then walk away,,,in my experience older rolex of any sort tend to go up in price rather then down,,,,all the best,,944s2

rik78

Veteran
Trichomefarmer knows what he si saying, watch collector like watch of their machinery nor for the gold or the diamonds

Brands like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Breguet or Omega do their own machinery, and are the real deal

brands Rolex does design the watch and get other to do it.

ROLEX is the budget collectors watch... amatuer style.. there are many amazing timepieces out there.. its all about the action.. the movement.. do some research and youll find the real people to get one from.

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
er thanks I think

er thanks I think

Trichomefarmer knows what he si saying, watch collector like watch of their machinery nor for the gold or the diamonds

Brands like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Breguet or Omega do their own machinery, and are the real deal

brands Rolex does design the watch and get other to do it.

While I am not a fan of Rolex, they do everything themselves. They bought their suppliers and brought them in house. They certainly make a quality product.
Their ubiquitousnous and conservative/basic design don't appeal to me.

Breguet and Omega are both owned by the Swatch group and share some components ex. hairsprings

Jaeger-LeCoutre is part of the Richemont group.

Rolex is Rolex that owns Tudor.

shithawk420

Veteran
i recently looked at my friends rolex,15,000$ he said.it was nice but i was not very impressed for the money.i liked his Fossil watches more.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like Omega much more then Rolex.. I would agree there not good as an investment. Most take losses when there resold. I took a lose when I sold my Omega.

idiit

Veteran
friend of mine is a master level watch repair guy; certified. yes, their is a ranking system for watch repair ppl. there are only 4/5 in a 4 state area around where I live.

he said that the counterfeit biz has gotten so good that it is now possible to make high quality counterfeit rolex's that can not be detected as counterfeit.

getting an older/vintage watch properly repaired nowadays is getting very difficult to do as there are no new up and coming watch craftsmen. thing of the past. he's almost 60 yrs. old and he's a dinosaur.

I don't think that a rolex denotes social status anymore personally.

if you like the aesthetics and most importantly, can get it properly maintained then go for the pleasure it brings you.

as an investment silver is the way to go; physical silver.

^ my 2cents.

shithawk420

Veteran
Wow,great post idiit.I've actually been thinking about fixing watches but like you said its becoming a lost art and I don't where to begin to actually be an apprentice or what.swiss mechanics is fascinating to me

Green Squall

friend of mine is a master level watch repair guy; certified. yes, their is a ranking system for watch repair ppl. there are only 4/5 in a 4 state area around where I live.

he said that the counterfeit biz has gotten so good that it is now possible to make high quality counterfeit rolex's that can not be detected as counterfeit.

getting an older/vintage watch properly repaired nowadays is getting very difficult to do as there are no new up and coming watch craftsmen. thing of the past. he's almost 60 yrs. old and he's a dinosaur.

I don't think that a rolex denotes social status anymore personally.

if you like the aesthetics and most importantly, can get it properly maintained then go for the pleasure it brings you.

as an investment silver is the way to go; physical silver.

^ my 2cents.

Your right about finding someone to repair old watches is getting more difficult. Here is my grandfather Illinois pocket watch that I would like to get repaired. It needs a new glass face and an arm, but other than that it runs like a champ and is surprisingly accurate. Do me a solid would ya and ask your friend to ballpark a repair cost.

Latest posts

Latest posts