What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Selling baseball cards online?

dustin27

Veteran
Anyone do this? Is it worth it? I have a huge box of cards, not just baseball, but also football, basketball, pokemon, ect. I'd rather get them out in the world, instead of letting them rot in a corner.

Do people have interest in purchasing these things online? Are there really hardcore collectors out there?

What do you think?

Put some on EBay n see what happens? I have in the past. Made maybe $20 after a half dozen sales. Old sealed packs of topps from the 80's. Watch out 4 fraud tho.

go on ebay and sports collectible sites an check out what cards other people are selling whats popular and how much the are going for. then make your decision

MrDanky

the only sports cards worth trying to sell are old cards that have been professionally graded... grab a price guide (tuffstuff or beckett) and get an initial look at your cards' value... then if you think they are worth re-selling, then send them into a professional grading company...

it will cost you to have them graded, but if they are already worth something, having them graded will make them much more valuable and easier to sell...

http://www.psacard.com/

www.beckett.com/grading/

http://gmagrading.com/

dustin27

Veteran
Thanks for the replies everyone. Soon as i find free time ill have to look into this stuff. I have heard of grading cards before; totally forgot that. It seems like a bit of hassle to get them graded ect, but im sure if the card is worth it, the grading is also.

I dont have anything that old, so i think im out of luck here. Alot of cards from the nineties and eighties i think. Early two thousands also. I think i had a few priced in beckett, only a few bucks worth though.

Neptune

tons of card shops throughout the internet, most cards are worthless.
only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

Sour Deez

I dont have anything that old, so i think im out of luck here. Alot of cards from the nineties and eighties i think. Early two thousands also. I think i had a few priced in beckett, only a few bucks worth though.

unfortunetly your right, for the most part. Almost everything from the 80s and 90s are a bust. They mass produced the shit out of them, EVERYBODY has the same cards. Only things anyone will be interested in is the rookie cards, and only big name guys. And only if they are in good condition, which is where grading cards come into play.(Some grading companies are better then others) Shit from the early seventies and older still can fetch good money(Thats the stuff you should be looking for). In the 2000-up era they started making these jersey cards and autograph cards. If you got any of the auto ones, check them out, esp if its a rookie.

BigDawg

yeah rookie cards is where it's at.. and you still won't get that much, unless it's extremely rare. I have michael jordans rookie baseball card. funny. The classics like babe ruth, micky mantle, etc are the ones worth a lot. You may get a couple hundred at most for some rookie cards in the 60-90's and they must be in mint condition.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
your cards need to be like Gem Mint 10's to be worth anything of value...
Unless your sitting on some older cards... or rookies dating back from the Nolan Ryan era back to the old school bowman cards from the 50's. Anything from Nolan Ryans rookie year and up arent worth shit today...

Remember Diamond Kings? Mark Mcgwire olympic rookie card...The upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr Rookie cards lol or even the Billy Ripken "Fuck You' Baseball bat... aww the good old days...

T

TribalSeeds

I was selling prospect cards on Ebay for a couple of years. The fees have gone up each year and they have made other changes that have made it alot harder for sellers.
Its probably not worth the work to sell a few cards. If you decide to donate them you can claim "book value", otherwise expect 25 percent.
Im going to sell off the rest of my stash during spring training while spring fever is kicking in

BigDawg

hell yeah.. 89 griffey Jr upper deck i think it was. Always wanted that card but never got it. My friend bought nolan ryans rookie card in the 90's for $50.. it's going for around $200-300 on ebay i think. Not worth selling in my opinion.

Lisdexik

ugggg this is killing me too....

My great uncle gave me the most ridiculous collection of baseball cards when I was younger.... I have every rookie card made from 84-92, sealed complete sets from every major card distributor from the mid 80's..... No joke a closet full of cards.....

I was told I couldn't sell them for ten years.

It's been ten years and holy shit these things are worthless now...

I guess I'll have to sell them as a lot to a shop or something?????

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

it's actually the internet that's brought the value of collectible cards way down, many other collectible items have plummeted in price also once it's made known how many are really still out there and having the market flooded as opposed to the old supply and demand of the pre-digital age.

T

TribalSeeds

All the money is in the new products at release. Its easy to double your cash on baseball cards.

I used to collect cards but it seems I always have the shittiest luck......I always got the crappy cards even when I bought expensive packs lol

dustin27

Veteran
It's funny that I started this thread 4 years ago and I still haven't gotten around to going through my collection and seeing if there is any hidden gems in there... My guess is: probably not.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I still have about 100 Topps baseball cards in the back of the closet...All from 1964..
None of them are "mint" but most are in pretty good condition..
I know there's a Roger Maris card in there... Another one called American League Bombers...Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris are on it....
23 years ago a kid bought the Carl Yastrzemski card from me.. Lucky for me it was almost mint....Kid's mother wrote me a check for $200 bucks.... I said "SOLD!"