What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vinyl

T

themoonismyfrnd

Most people tell me it's a dead format, but I LOVE it. Something about it sounds so much better. The little bit of static and scratch of the needle gives it this lovely quality and I've definitely heard things on vinyl that I never did digitally. I collect old folk/rock, new underground indie/punk/hardcore, and jazz/jazz-influenced post-rock. Recently I received some original Beatles and Beach Boys 45's. I have a few really nice ones, but those are great and second only to a first pressing Bright Eyes 7" signed by Conor Oberst. That's a good one.

Anyone else out there enjoy records still?

My Vinyl is considered one of my most coveted possessions. Jazz,Funk,Hip Hop,Classic Rock. I always stop at all the thrift stores around my area and come-up on some great music.

Vinyl sales grew last year and many people are buying up all the records they can get their hands on, The New York times had a piece on the resiliency of the vinyl medium.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I enjoy records a whole bunch,the click and pop does have a happy nostalgic value.
My first record was Beach Boys greatest hits ,a gift from mom for 13th birthday,then my brother got me Dep Leppard "pyromania" for Christmas around then.I was always amazed at the strength of the sound ,when records are turned up really loud.

I used to go hunting on ebay for records, a friend metioned about gemm.com which links together the "for sale" collections of thousands of record vendors around the world.Great if your looking for something difficult to find.Then theirs also Discogs.com ,which people will trade/sell albums from their collection.

It sure is a fun hobby thats very habit forming.......

D

DJXXPLATINUM

vinyl rocks.....i am a dj for over 25 years and still djing....i have over 22,000 pieces of vinyl even though i use my computer now.....peace dj

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My vinyl mostly just collects dust in my attic and garage now.

Thanks Serato!

mayorofthdesert

I have less than 200 CDs & right around 2500 records. I don't argue that they sound better (although I do prefer the sound) but I do argue that they are more fun. I also dig old hi-fi gear - tube amps & such...

My #1 genre is punk & that's the main reason I didn't make the switch to CDs in the late 80s - everything I was interested in stayed more readily available on vinyl than CD for at least another ten years. If there's a new release that I'm interested in chances are that it's available on vinyl & If it's not a new release, then it's available on vinyl used. I also have lots of jazz, blues, oldies, classic rock, garage, surf, country, soul, whatever...

mayorofthdesert

Anyone seen my Social D "1945" ep? Sold it for beer money around 91 or so. You can tell it was mine by the 4 signatures on it. I'll give you TWICE the beer if I can have it back.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven't seen your social d.But i did see a copy of Fear "more beer" test pressing sell for like 7-$800 bucks on ebay,back in the late 90's .It was a single 7 inch tiny record.

I have a ok grip of punk stuff,but a small group of them i really treasure ...Here's one from that group. ....I was only 5 ,when it came out in 1977.....

Attachments

• x-ray-spex.jpg
    x-ray-spex.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 42

streetvibes

love plastic

love plastic

cool thread been a dj for 20yrs and love it i must admit cdjs are wicked but the sound through vinyl is wicked and you cant beat a good vinyl cover for the artwork and rolling your smokes got everything from frank zappa to phystrane/ kate bush /fsol/rock/techno and not forgetting grandmasterflash and all the electro pioneers captain rock kraftwork used to love body poppin and electro shocking

Attachments

• picture vinyl.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 45
  • frank zappa.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 71
  • mooonstomp.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 61

streetvibes

some more

some more

some more deep purple and all the 7inchs on the left are david bowie

Attachments

• plastic2.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 7inch2.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 7inch.bmp
    37.1 KB · Views: 57

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see Ian Dury's "New boots and panties" in their ,thas some real top shelf shit..Nice collection..thats a hella lotta bowie

Attachments

• X.jpg
    X.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 41
  • X1.jpg
    X1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 41

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Haven't seen your social d.But i did see a copy of Fear "more beer" test pressing sell for like 7-$800 bucks on ebay,back in the late 90's .It was a single 7 inch tiny record.

I have a ok grip of punk stuff,but a small group of them i really treasure ...Here's one from that group. ....I was only 5 ,when it came out in 1977.....

Wow, Germ Free Adolescents, one of my all time fave albums..... truly unique and special, way ahead of its time.

I lost everything on my travels, but did manage to pick up the 3 classic KLF singles on 12" vinyl for 1E each the other day.

D

DJSHADOW

3000 plus in my collection...used to run a record shop...
here is some music that just sounds better on record
TOM WAITS add strong booze of choice
IGGY POP add strong drug of choice
NICK CAVE add any breakup you had

all hip hop should be played on record only, as this would also keep 99% of the shit they make today dubbed hip hop out of my ears.

theclearspot

The old second hand vinyl shops in england in the 70s and 80s, maybe just being nostalgic but the smells, the vibe, the choice , the feeling of oneness with the freaks in the shop...dunno...cant stand these virgin, hmv places..totally soulless...