What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Antiques

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Cool thread!
I´ve been living in the UK for 6years now an without a doubt Antiques Roadshow is a all time favourite.
Back in Portugal i got a couple of sheds/barns full of interesting antiques gathered by my familly while working their fields during the last 100years. Sadly the antiques market is just starting to go mainstream and is quite hard&expensive to evaluate your items.
Because of that i´m still waiting for better days while collecting the most that i can.
Thought about grabing myself a metal-detector in the uk but give up on the idea when i knew that i need to buy a license for that :)
Keep those pics coming because i like it

U

Unseeded

Once I think about it,it makes sense since you can find something say in the water and you give it up and get the value of said Treasure.
Thanks for letting me know.

Superhoops

Hi White Rabbit,

I have always found antiques currious and always find myself watching any TV programmes related to antiques. I like ciggerette cases perticually ones made of tortoiseshell.

Buddle

Veteran
My favorite Antiques Roadshow story was the lady who bought a coffee table at a garage sale in the 70's. She paid 25.00 for it. AR appraised it on the show for 250,000 and it ended up selling at a Sotheby's auction for like 400,000+. It was the first big find on the show. The other great episode(there are so many), was the one where a mother and daughter brought in an Inuit indian mask...it was given to her great grandfather who was a surveyor I believe in Alaska..The crazy part was I think it was less than 200 yrs old..
Anyway its priceless and now in a museum..
I LOVE collecting antiques especially furniture made of chestnut, old radios, mantles, windows. I love estate jewelry and rugs too. I also love clothing and hats :)