What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Antiques

White Rabbit

Digging in the garden
ICMag Donor
Hello fellow ICmagers,

Is anyone here into antiques? I happen to interested in the Art Nouveau Arts and Crafts and Art Deco furniture, just for fun. Antiques to me, seem to have character. history and human development through the rise and rise of the industrial era has taken on many 'art' movements as a universal trend or personality marking certain eras in the Western world.

It just adds to the mix of life.... variety intrigue and mystery. Also can teach one many things of nature if you care to study the actual wood and timber used in the manufacture of said pieces.

Nothing more interesting in rolling a fatty and doing the antique route every now and again.Interting people along the way too.

Please feel free to "chime" in and share, even pic's. Oh yes... speak about collecting, any lepidopterists on IC?

Greets,
WR

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
High WR

I love collecting!!! I've never really pinpointed what i liked the most to collect.This as worked out well in the yr's.
The wife and i have a good range of collectible's,My self i was allways into Coins, models,stamps,relics,and the guy stuff,
The wife being more into Art, home decor,graft's and toy's.

We love the antique route,thats a blast .I like to call it the "Buzz-n-Browse route" :joint:

We'll get sum pics up later.

INH

Rockster

I collect old coins and artefacts by metal detecting in the UK and I also buy stuff.

I've got a small collection of Roman oil lamps,lots of rings,brooches,etc.

These lamps are nearly 2k old.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 37

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Cool Rockster love to metal detect what kind do you have?

Heres mine it's a Whites Classic 3 with a 950 loop

Rockster

Hi I N Nail,

I used to have A Fisher,or is it Fischer?

Made by the guy that brought up the Atocha,salvaged a fabulous treasure.

I usually use my brothers machines and have used a Whites before,A Spectrum was it?

A few bits from my bottom draw.

The bronze circle is a Celtic arm torque.

It was worn by a guy with a hefty bicep,it falls off me!

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 36
    91.8 KB · Views: 54
C

cellardweller

OK, I'll admit it..
I watch Antiques Roadshow all the time.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread Rabbit..like those lamps rockster..i ran a business on EBay where I would travel to peoples homes and photograph thier antiques etc. and sell them on Ebay for them. I was very surprised the number of really neat goodies people had in thier sheds and old bans around my area. One of my first biggies was a cork screw we listed for 5 bucks no reserve..after 10 days the marked 1886 piece sold for $2400.00..I don't do this anymore but miss it tremenduously..nice people and rooting through thier stuff was an absolute blast. I'll get some pix up here soon of a few items.DD

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As a kid my mom and I used to go antiquing, it seemed like there were more of them around then there are now. We would get some awesome cut glass crystal glasses and flow blue plates and bowls...I have some old coins and an old tapestry that is from my grandparents.

D

Denial N Error

Worlds oldest condom:

629482.jpg

Imagine using that thing! You got like a 50/50 shot I bet..

:/

White Rabbit

Digging in the garden
ICMag Donor
Hey guys...thank for turning this thread into an interesting read... DD... dude, that is such an interesting story..
The antiques roadshow is awesome! Lol @ the condom....man, whats that thing made of? I have my suspicions :-/

...I collect butterflies, moths, spiders and beetles...amongst other even more interesting stuff. :)

The pictures are very special and interesting. Very informative!?!

keep it rolling...

Rabbit

AtomicBetty

I collect antique stained glass kites! I'll shoot some pictures of them and post them up. vintage glass is so so sweet. *sigh*

N

NOYB

OK, I'll admit it..
I watch Antiques Roadshow all the time.
One of my all time favorite shows. Still remember lots of the pieces, and stories behind em, from the earlier years.

My ex girlfriend got me into old US composition dolls like Kewpie, Scootles and Effanbee. I bought her a bunch of em. Got her a super nice original 'black' Kewpie...very rare. She got me a Buddy Lee doll from the very early 30's. He rocked...I'd tell peeps Buddy was the original pimp daddy. But seriously Buddy rocked...think he had a thing for that black momma in the collection...LOL.

N

NOYB

Million $ Antiques Roadshow appraisal

Million $ Antiques Roadshow appraisal

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A woman who inherited some Chinese carved jade from her father has scored the first $1 million (601,557 pounds) appraisal from experts on the U.S. television program "Antiques Roadshow," the producers said on Monday.
In a record for the show, four pieces of Chinese carved jade and celadon from the Chien Lung Dynasty (1736-1795), including a large bowl crafted for the Emperor, were given a conservative auction estimate of up to $1.07 million.
"For 13 years, we've been hoping to feature a million-dollar appraisal on 'Antiques Roadshow;' it's been our 'Great White Whale,'" executive producer Marsha Bemko said.
"We're thrilled that, despite this year's slow economy, 'Roadshow' finally captured this elusive trophy," she said in a statement released by Boston-based production company WGBH, which licensed the format from the British show of the same name produced by the BBC.
On both shows, members of the public bring in items to be appraised by professionals in the hope of discovering that junk from the attic is actually a valuable treasure.
A spokeswoman said the appraisal was a record for the U.S. show, which is not affiliated with the BBC original. According to British media, the BBC's version had its first million pound appraisal ($1.655 million) last November -- a scale model of Anthony Gormley's artwork, "The Angel of the North."
The statement said the owner of the jade inherited the collection from her father, who bought the objects in the 1930s and 1940s, while stationed in China as a military liaison.
She brought them to an "Antiques Roadshow" event in Raleigh, North Carolina on Saturday.
Asian arts appraiser James Callahan said the fine quality of the pieces indicated they were not made for tourists.
"He was rewarded by finding a mark on the bottom of the jade bowl that translates as 'by Imperial order,'" the statement said.
The previous highest appraisal on the show was a 1937 painting by American Abstract Expressionist artist Clyfford Still, found in Palm Springs, California, in 2008. The painting had been given a retail estimate of $500,000.
The appraisal of the jade items will be shown in the next series of "Antiques Roadshow" starting January 4 on PBS, the producers said.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOYB thanks for posting that tid bit ^^ I enjoy the show often and even took some items for appraisal when they were in a city close to me. It was a great time standing in line visiting, seeing all the unique items people had brought. A rare book was discovered and that was featured on the TV, ..yup..I'm in the background in the broadcast! I'm sorry I can't remember the author but it appraised for over 50 grand..the lady bout fainted. One of my items was a wooden stage coach marker for the Butterfield Stage line my father found in the desert, 1960s, ..they had never seen one so could only appraise it at 2 hundred. Great stories friends..keep um comming..DD

N

NOYB

I remember the guy in San Fran who brought in a chair that his roomate gave him cause he couldn't pay rent...turned out to be a $15,000 Chippendale. The appraiser was commenting on the cat hair all over the chair...LOL. I think the guy said he was still gonna use it as his computer chair.

Took me a few years watching to learn some things...then there was this couple that brought in this very old Connecticut made highboy. It had a beautiful bright finish and looked pristine. The appraiser asked if it was in that condition when they bought it way back and said no...it had this black, crackled finish and I just groaned. Sure enough they stripped off the original finish and the $50,000 piece would have been worth about $250,000 if they didn't touch it...OUCH!

Or the guy that had a rare Confederate made sword he found in the house he moved into as a kid and used it to chop watermelons in half...among other things. Think the thing was worth something like $25,000.

Haven't had cable in years and one of the few shows on TV worth watching IMO.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
Love the roadshow also, actually been to a tapeing of one and took some items down.

We collect lots of stuff, some rare and some not. Could rattle off a list, but then next thing ya know, getting PM's, can we see. etc etc.

Have saw some pretty cool collections in my years.

Was in a museum the other day and found an error, they had an old speciman of a cannbis plant, was a male, but labled female flower of cannabis, etc. LOL, thought that think is no where close to a flower.. was going to make a donation as soon as some regulations change, or maybe an anonomys donation would be approiate, probably would never hit the floor, only get hit in the pipe by the workers......cya

Spanishfly

Oldest thing I have is a Roman cup, 1st or 2nd century.

romancup.jpg

Glass is full of air bubbles, and I still have an occasional whisky out of it.

Leafmold

Antiques

Hi,
I have a small collection of interesting bits n bobs. Nothing extensive some Japanese vases and carvings, some native american bits, and a few knives most of which I have sold now.
Like to hear what others collect.
I used to help with an antiques fair in Alexandra palace, north London, for over 18 years,untill it stopped a few years ago.
Have been buying n selling for years.
Health n Peace

U

Unseeded

I wish I could be in Europe to metal detect!Love the stories from you guys across the pond.Got lucky at a couple of garage sales in the US.Never would go to them but I love garage sales now!
To dig something out of the ground that has been in there for a long time is really cool!
Stay safe:jawdrop: