SOS I did something stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moose eater View Post
    They're just not stoned enough over there. Offer them a canna butter brownie with walnuts, wait an hour, and then ask 'em. Probably be a whole different experience.. for all of you..

So you didn't put the washer fluid directly into the radiator, but rather into the reservoir, correct?

If that's the case, then there's been much less mixing between the two; some, but much less. The radiator fluids expand with the engine heating up, and the extra goes into the reservoir. When the engine cools down, it's supposed to suck it back into the engine. Expansion and contraction of a sealed or semi-sealed system.

If your reservoir has been changing levels (not from hot to cold, or vice versa, but hot-to-hot or cold-to-cold comparisons) then you (may/likely) have a breech some place.

The overflow hose/tube that leads from immediately below your radiator cap on most vehicles, over to the reservoir, can develop leaks. In that case, it may expel fluids under pressure, and suck air when trying to re-establish level on cooling.

Hopefully if you're loosing liquid, it's a minor issue. But in my experience, if your coolant is nearly a gallon low, there's at least some sort of 'trouble in River City.'

The nice part of anti-freeze is that it has an indistinguishable odor. And you can locate a leak with a black light some times. (*Plus the added joy of playing with black lights!! )

******!!!!!! If you -do- have a leak, sufficient to cause any pooling/puddles near your vehicle, make sure to keep any pets (yours or others) away from it. If you're using traditional ethylene glycol for coolant (as opposed to the purportedly safer more environmentally sound newer blends), it can shut down their kidneys and lead quickly to death. And it's sweet both to smell and taste.!!!!*****
    Correct.

Thanks for all the info. All the more reason to get it checked out. No puddles or visible leaks, but I'm aware of the dangers. You'd think in this day and age they would add something to change the smell and taste. Man I bet its not uncommon for pets to come across this stuff.

Comment

Had a jackass of a neighbor poison a neighboring family's dog by accident, when he was purposefully trying to poison -another- family's dog. Ugly death, and yes, he knows what I think of him.

I'm not even sure the newer 'environmentally safer' antifreeze is as safe as they claim. I wouldn't drink it!!

I saw the Dobie on your avatar many times, but it didn't register until I'd signed off again. And you seem like a critter guy, too.

Good luck.

Comment

Hoping minor issue. drain & fill cheap insurance

Comment

Originally posted by aridbud View Post
          Better than fueling up with diesel when your vehic runs on unleaded. Cough.
          knew a few did that before nozzle changed. antifreeze maybe not so bad.

Comment

Modern engines have corrosion inhibitors in them, get it changed

This ain't no ordinary herb I'm smoking - Fantan Mojah

Supermoto for that eXtra buzz

A friend in need is a friend in debt

Comment

Originally posted by moose eater View Post

At least you didn't pump a gasoline engine's fuel tank full of diesel (or vice versa).. Or add coolant to your oil... ;^>)

Besides, look at it this way; every mechanical foul-up is an opportunity to stay home, eat well, drink a beer, and smoke a joint.... until you pick a path and your job is done... With the right beer and joint, that might be days of rest and relaxation to be had. ;^>)
              getting ready for work one morning, realized Sportster was low on gas. grabbed one of my dads gas jugs & started pouring. too late! it was used motor oil... so i did exactly what you said & took full advantage of bad situation. at least i didn't try to start it & suck oil into the carb & cylinders.
              smoking more pot is NOT the answer to my problems. my problem is that i need more problems that smoking more pot IS the answer to...

Comment

pull the return hose off the resorvoir and start the car, it'll empty in less than a minute, goodluck.
                There may be thieves n rogues in prison but it was the scum of humanity that put them there.
                Oscar wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by al70 View Post
                  pull the return hose off the resorvoir and start the car, it'll empty in less than a minute, goodluck.
                  necrobump!
                  current catch all grow thread

SSSDH x GROM/Digiberry from Stank Bros.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT_BUD? View Post
                    necrobump!
                    i know yeah, did'nt even look at the date lol, wonder how he got on ?
                    There may be thieves n rogues in prison but it was the scum of humanity that put them there.
                    Oscar wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by al70 View Post
                      i know yeah, did'nt even look at the date lol, wonder how he got on ?

I brought it to the shop and got it flushed twice. Cheap and worth it. No mishaps since!

Comment

Glad to hear G.S., read the label, lol, goodluck.
                        Oscar wilde.

Comment

Once I faced the same situation. I went to mechanic to do a full drain. So awkward moment..

Comment

Happened to me before. I let the mechanic drain it all just to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X