What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tuner or Muscle?

DrFever

Veteran
i have had some sickass mopars . looking for something really light to basically just hold the motor. no more boats or heavy steel. i did the charger/fury thing and others. looking for a kit car prob.i would post pics but that would identify me as i come up on mopar and nash searches.
Something like this 7 second ride

supermanlives

Veteran
hell ya . my bro here ran a mopar race shop . shitloads of trophies. ya no ac ,sterio. all that bs . street legal tho . here in cali they are really tough. had to work on my newer ride for 4 hours before i could get it smogged. only took 3 to put all the parts back on . good for now lol. i also want a couple bikes so i am torn. engine and a cheap bike for now i guess.there goes 30k again easilly. on that subject i have always wanted to learn fibreglass and carbon fibre methods. its the one part of customizing i havent yet learned. my bro made a badass corvette once. i would like to make my own carbon fibre or fiberglass parts. i wanna start with a hood.i could loose alot of weight doing it and save the original parts.

DrFever

Veteran
i have built all kinds of rides from mild to wild :)) great hobbie but Expensive

There is no replacement for displacement

DrFever

Veteran
displacement replacement

View Image

Think of it this way
A top fuel dragster is staging at the same time a lingenfelter corvette is coming strong 200 MPH towards staging lights at the exact same time the vette hits the lights it goes green for the top fueler not only by half track the top fueler has caught up to the vette but from the sheer force of the dragster it nearly blows the vette off its track
with 44 amps per cylinder litterally a arc welder per cylinder by half track the 16 spark plugs have melted engine is dieseling , at 5o psi per Sq inch of air being rammed down the blower for each open intake only way to shut engine down is by cutting off fuel

That my friend is displacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VF0JwxQqcA

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
52 sec tsukuba s15!

US-TSK52-40.jpg

US-TSK52-05.jpg

US-TSK52-16.jpg

US-TSK52-35.jpg

US-TSK52-43.jpg

The lap record Suzuki-san was shooting for is for the fastest “tuned car” running on street-legal semi slick tires like the Yokohama Advan A050 he uses. It has nothing to do with the 51-sec lap Keiichi Tsuchiya set years ago in the Arta NSX JGTC car, as that was a race car running on slick rubber, nor the one set even years earlier by a Formula Nippon single seater

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/12/uncharted-territory-under-suzuki-52-sec-lap/

what does your car run?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i like them both, but there arent many cars you can get 100hp from $1000 or slightly less put in. except for mine and a couple lucky others lol. at about 400bhp with bolt ons and a tune. waiting on my blouch dominator 2.0 turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump and then i will be around 500 bhp. i had some medical shit come up that cut into my turbo fund :( but now im getting back on track.

i met a guy recently that was all about muscle cars. anti buying stuff from overseas and whatnot. he put 4k into his camaro in performance stuff and he kept getting rolled by an EVO VIII. he finally talked to the guy and he was asking him what all he had done thinking it was a ton of work and the guy was like, its all stock except for a 90$ manual boost controller lol. after that he spent some time in japan on base and bought an old skyline on the cheap not even knowing what the hell it was and fell in love. from that point on it was tuner FTW!

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 73

usda101

Sold my 65 Dart Gt . Get a 350 small block , Two Banks turbos , 3 inch exhaust and forget about it . Nothing like muscle .

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i would like an old classic Z like a 240 or 280 and swap a skyline motor into it. i think that would be the best of both worlds haha

anditwasfun

Back on the east coast I have an s2000, s13 240sx, and a 72 datsun 521 pickup just rotting away. The s2000 is really fun, widebody, cup kitted (Coilovers but electronically height adjustable), lots of pretty knick knacks. The s13 was sr'd, 5lug/300zx brakes, full suspension/Zeal coilovers, etc. but I started parting it out after I gave the SR to a friend when his blew up. I've had about 8 240sx's, you could say i'm really into them.

I currently have an e46 m3 with a bolt in cage and full suspension/JRZ coilovers. Has a meisterschaft Ti exhaust, AFE intake, AAW reflash, and 63k on it. Car's cornerbalanced and fun as Hell! It was an impulse buy, I got it off a Porsche driving instructor/construction millionaire tycoon cause I know he always took great care of his toys. Now i'm trying to sell her...just doesn't work as being my only car, my roommate is going crazy from me borrowing his so much. I need something I don't mind racking up miles on, like a WRX,or a truck, idk. Noones been hittin me up on craigslist, lol I really just need to sell all my cars and start fresh but it's hard when you're attached and heavily invested into em...and most of em are 2500 miles away.

Domestics are cool though. I rebuilt a 76 Camaro, it was very fun. was a straight 6 3spd auto, burgandy, rusty, and beat...ended up lookin like a badass racecar, ram air, whale tail, z06 silver with sport red stripes, zz383, 4spd, wooooo!

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
As soon as you sell them, regret inevitably follows.

Just sold a SC300, because a good deal turned up. Now I am back on the search for another one. Make it look like this. Run about 500rwhp.
picture.php

Your M3 sounds badass.

Last edited:

anditwasfun

Just sold a SC300, because a good deal turned up. Now I am back on the search for another one. Make it look like this. Run about 500rwhp.
View Image

Your M3 sounds badass.

Thanks man, the m3 is a beast...it has race brakes too, saved my ass earlier! I might sell her to some stingy guy in SF tomorrow, supposed to meet him around lunch time...might tell him to suck on a lemon, dude seems like a lowballing prick. Trying to offer me $3000 below my listed price without asking a single additional question or even seeing the car when my listed price is already a bangin ass price. I know when I show up he's gonna try to talk me down even more...might have to take a baseball bat!

I have a friend a couple thousand miles away that wants to trade me his 240sx hatch that's got all the bells and whistles, basically a perfect true functional drift car with all the fanboy parts and $13k on top...but then I have to tow the car and blah blah blah. I really don't want to sell her but I could sure use a truck...that, and my s2000 is way more badass...I wish I could post up pics

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
German Cars' Among Worst For Engine Failures'

German Cars' Among Worst For Engine Failures'

Just some food for thought......:chin:.....all hardcore motorheads should find this article most interesting. I don't write them, I just read them.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

german-manufacturers-no-longer-most-reliable.jpg

Audi, BMW and VW ranked in the bottom 10 of a study into engine reliability :

German-made cars are not as reliable as many believe, according to new research. Warranty Direct has studied its claims data to compile a list of the manufacturers with the most reliable engines - and Audi, BMW and Volkswagen all finished in the bottom 10 out of a total 36 makers.

In fact, the only firm whose cars had a worse engine failure rate than Audi was MG Rover. MINI wasn’t much better, finishing third from bottom, while its parent company BMW came seventh from bottom. And, despite its reputation for rock-solid reliability, Volkswagen came ninth from bottom.

Honda scooped the gold medal – the study found that just one in every 344 Honda engines failed, compared to one in every 27 Audi engines. Despite its recent recall woes, Toyota came second and Mercedes managed to outperform its fellow German brands with a respectable third-place finish.

Duncan McClure, Warranty Direct Managing Director, said that engine failures are the worst for motorists as they’re the repairs that can lead to the highest costs because of the parts and hours of labour required to fix them: “The nuber of failures may be low compared to areas such as axle and suspension damage but engine repairs almost always result in costs reaching the thousands for motorists who aren’t covered by a warranty.”

An engine failure on a Range Rover Vogue recently led to Warranty Direct’s highest ever claim of £13,000.

Top 10 manufacturers

Manufacturer Failure rate (%) Failure rate (1 in x)
1 Honda 0.29% 1 in 344
2 Toyota 0.58% 1 in 171
3 Mercedes 0.84% 1 in 119
4 Volvo 0.90% 1 in 111
5 Jaguar 0.98% 1 in 103

Bottom 10 manufacturers

Manufacturer Failure rate (%) Failure rate (1 in x)
1 MG Rover 7.88% 1 in 13
2 Audi 3.71% 1 in 27
3 MINI 2.51% 1 in 40
4 Saab 2.49% 1 in 40
5 Vauxhall 2.46% 1 in 41

What’s your view? Do you think German manufacturers still deserve their reputation for building the most reliable cars?

High RPM's and Sour Weed,

RMS

:smoweed:

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I just love a sexy ride, muscle or tuner. With that being said however, the muscle cars came first and I love all of them. I wouldn't mind trying a Nissan Sylvia, or Shelby Cobra. It would be nice to discover the differences for myself.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

View Image

Your M3 sounds badass.

I got it. 92' SC300 5 speed, 50,000 original miles. Never seen snow and not much rain for that matter. Mint!

Right price and it's yours.:)

the_ginga_ninja

I've been into tuner cars for years. Last project was a 94 Nissan Skyline GTS-T (ECR33). Was running a GT3076R, top feed rail with 1000cc injectors, E85, custom intercooler/exhaust setup, MAP ECU, and about $10k more between the rest of the motor, suspension, aero, and wheels. Was making 480rwhp when I sold her.

Current project is a 95 240SX (S14) with an S15 front end conversion, SR swap, full suspension setup, wheels, etc...

I've had friends into muscle cars and they definitely can be quite awesome, but tuner has always had a little more appeal to me. Pics attached of Skyline (gunmetal) and 240 (blue).

Attachments

• IMG_8022.jpg
    IMG_8022.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8068.jpg
    IMG_8068.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8070.jpg
    IMG_8070.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 240 rolling.jpg
    240 rolling.jpg