Orig 1889 French JoB rolling papers advertising placard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orig 1889 French JoB rolling papers advertising placard

Here's something I've had hanging in my office. I bought it from a poster dealer at the Scott Antiques Market in Atlanta 15 years ago. It is an original lithograph printed advertising placard that would have been put in a store window or on the wall. It advertises J B rolling papers and was drawn by the famous French artist Chaix. As you can see, even 120 years ago the advertising industry was using sex to sell products!

Seed on...

sex has probably always sold nice find
    Peace ? Bear

Originally posted by 5th
    I am not a medical patient, and I am sure to fuck not complacent with any bullshit laws.

Comment

haze that's a great piece of collectable art...DD
      Please join me in my 2020 now 2021 Doobie's Still Kicking
      ...a bunch of new girls 2021
      https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=369403

Comment

That is pretty early for a cigarette paper advert imho. The first time western europeans encountered the idea of smoking tobacco wrapped in paper to form a cigarette was in the Crimean war in 1855-56 when British and French troops were fascinated by thehabit of their Turkish allies of using pieces of newspaper to roll cigarettes. Before this, everyone used a small clay pipe. The technique was brought home by the returning soldiers and some enterprising Frenchies invented the gummed cigarette paper. I think Zig-Zag was the first brend. Ever notice that Zig-Zags have a picture of a guy in a red North African style hat with a waxed moustache on the packet? It's a picture of a Zouave, a colonial soldier from North Africa serving in the French Army.

Comment

Working...
        X