What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orig 1889 French JoB rolling papers advertising placard

haze crazy

picture.php
Here's something I've had hanging in my office. I bought it from a poster dealer at the Scott Antiques Market in Atlanta 15 years ago. It is an original lithograph printed advertising placard that would have been put in a store window or on the wall. It advertises J B rolling papers and was drawn by the famous French artist Chaix. As you can see, even 120 years ago the advertising industry was using sex to sell products!

indifferent

Veteran
That is pretty early for a cigarette paper advert imho. The first time western europeans encountered the idea of smoking tobacco wrapped in paper to form a cigarette was in the Crimean war in 1855-56 when British and French troops were fascinated by thehabit of their Turkish allies of using pieces of newspaper to roll cigarettes. Before this, everyone used a small clay pipe. The technique was brought home by the returning soldiers and some enterprising Frenchies invented the gummed cigarette paper. I think Zig-Zag was the first brend. Ever notice that Zig-Zags have a picture of a guy in a red North African style hat with a waxed moustache on the packet? It's a picture of a Zouave, a colonial soldier from North Africa serving in the French Army.

Latest posts

Latest posts