What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inlay Art and Marquetry

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to build a guitar a few years back and to do so purchased the tools to do some inlay. I never have done anything like this before so it was quite a challenge. I decided before I F'd up the neck on my guitar I'd practice on something else. So..a bathroom cabinet for the wifey..had to build this baby first then started the inlay.

The birds are as follows, top knot black glass, the white rings on the neck and head, eye, and three markings on the sides are all abalone. Face is dark wood, mottled neck is an agat...very hard to work with! The rest is all exotic hard woods. sorry for the flash. There are many coats of marine varnish on this piece, I never did build the guitar but the inlay..I have done several other pieces since...please everyone feel free to post your work here as well..thanks for your views and posts..DD

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
That's amazing, Doobie!

Makes me want to learn how to do that, to make our cabinets and furniture look less ordinary.

C

cellardweller

awesome doobs! can you show us the tools and procedures used in this?
:joint:

lol...just saw Canna's post..

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you friends for your comments and complements..A dremel tool with a special router attachment is used to clear the wood from the base material, the door in this case, a special down cut bit was used as well. Then wood pieces are cut with a band saw then a tiny hand band saw, then cut more with a dremel and cut off wheels, finished by using a dremel and grinding wheels for an exact fit. The rock, a lapidary saw was used then the dremel and grinders. The abolone I cut with the tiny hand band saw and used the dremel to grind to fit. Very tedious and difficult..especially the bone or abalone pieces..they break very easily and hours of time is then lost. I have another piece I'll try and post soon...DD

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought I'd lost this thread to the great black thread hole...Canna just some real heavy clamps to hold the woods....I wanted to share another of my inlay projects..this cedar box purchased off eBay, appx. 10" long, my design I inlayed with woods, abalone..glass eyes for the quails. Then many many coats of marine varnish..DD
picture.php

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
wow again im amazed at your talent at whatever you seem to try
i must spread more reputation aroud before givving my friend a doobie

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your a pretty multi talented fellow Doobie! you must have a really nice workshop,still in the process of setting mine up.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice cabinet, ebay score. I like the finger joints. Do you use a router or hand tools to do your inlay. Lie-neilsen has a nice set of inlay tools I thought about buying at one time, but I don't know much about it.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unclefish..keep us posted when you get yuor shop set up and going. Jimmy thank you for the visit, I used a dremel with the router stand I purchased of a guitar luthier site, down cut bits. The wood was cut with a small, tiny, round blade hand saw, rock I did with my lapidary saw and grinder. It's not easy, my disabilities make it harder on me than most, but it keeps me busy and happy. DD

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome man. I'll have to give that a try someday. Although, that sounds like a whole new chest of tools, lol, I don't know if my bank account can survive another chest of tools.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Nice work, DD! I too have a tedious-craftsmanship kinda hobby and can truly appreciate what goes into such things.