What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
just read THE TALISMAN for the tenth time(stephen king)

read a couple books recently by wilber smith-if your into historical fiction he will blow you away

always got my collection of jack londons short(and long) stories handy

and i am now officially out of the closet when it comes to the harry potter novels(cmon, admit it-you liked em!)

she walks in my soul by lucia st. claire robsen(?)

can you say monkey wrench gang? edward abbey(?)

P.S. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL USED BOOK STORES!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
never stop reading!!

never stop reading!!

Almost History by Roger Bruns

The Science Of Dune

:jump:

Kirby

Catcher in the Rye shows why it is a classic... Varriform, that book is priceless! I will enjoy reading it again, in a couple months. John Locke is one remarkable author, easily one of the most important political dissidents.

You have taste... Locke, Orwell, Pollan, and Chomsky... However, I offer a word of advice... Drop Chomsky. Chomsky excels at providing a good introduction to the subject or status quo... His maturity combined with fruitful information make him a masterful writer. I can't properly articulate my reasons, but if you see Chomsky again and get tempted, I insist you look elsewhere on the subject and find a new author. Jim Marrs and Chomsky are both very similar... That's the best way I can articulate it. Great writers and phenomenal information, but a sketchy comportment, if you know what I'm saying!

Last edited:
Orwell's a great writer, his books read like a train to me. He's witty and fluent in his style which is very handy of you prefer to read books that are not translated in your native language, a lot of depth in language goes away.
Anyway, just finished his -Homage to Catalonia-, it's about his time in the poum militia fighting against the fascists in Spain during the civil war.

Haven't got anything on my bedside table right now, need to get something new.

mngreens

SCAR TISSUE by ANTHONY KIEDIS (Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer's autobiography)

^^^^^Read this fucking book! I simply couldn't put it down and came away from reading the book a better person!

NOKUY

Veteran
mngreens said:
SCAR TISSUE by ANTHONY KIEDIS (Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer's autobiography)

^^^^^Read this fucking book! I simply couldn't put it down and came away from reading the book a better person!

funny my bro recommended that book to me..i was always a chilli pepper fan, and always intrigued by A.K.'s addiction stories...ill have to read that 4-sho

trouble

Veteran
A Tidewater Morning - William Styron

Three stories from his youth growing up in Virginia.

Fat Albert

The Brain that Changes Itself--Norman Doidge, MD

A FASCINATING read on neuroplasticity, and why the age-old assumption that our brains don't grow new connections as we age is completely wrong.

Godel, Escher, Bach and I am a Strange Loop
Both by Douglas Hofstadter

All about logical systems, consciousness, Turing machines, self-reference, Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica, etc.

Cheers!
Fat A :wave:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
i finally picked up "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. always wanted to read it and i finally found a decent copy with notes and a few qoutes by other leaders.Interesting...

G

Just finished:

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
England, England - Julian Barnes
Buck Up, Suck Up & Come Back When You Foul Up - James Carvile

Just started:

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
The Complete Short Stores of E. Hemingway
Star Trek: Dark Mirror: Diane Duane

Yeah; I'm a nerd.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice thread by the way Kirby!

Pastwatch by orson scott card
weaveworld-clive barker

Kirby

Starting: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I'm sure anyone who has read this book can attest to it's greatness. The book is truly a masterpiece.

Kirby

I set Monte Cristo aside and decided to order Les Miserables [unabridged] by Victor Hugo. This will be the biggest book I've ever read, if I finish. 15 hundred pages, but very much worth it.

Kirby

Lis Miserables is on the back-burner. Finished a wonderful book by Voltaire two weeks ago, called Candide. I finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and loved it. I can't wait to read another book by Vonnegut. The next book up is Feodor Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment.

Latest posts

Latest posts