No announcement yet.

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i finally picked up "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. always wanted to read it and i finally found a decent copy with notes and a few qoutes by other leaders.Interesting...
    sigpic

R.i.P Spaceman... We will miss you brother.

Comment

Just finished:

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
      England, England - Julian Barnes
      Buck Up, Suck Up & Come Back When You Foul Up - James Carvile

Just started:

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
      The Complete Short Stores of E. Hemingway
      Star Trek: Dark Mirror: Diane Duane

Yeah; I'm a nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by half_lotus
        =
        The Complete Short Stores of E. Hemingway
        Yeah; I'm a nerd.
        I read through that a couple times myself, enjoy

Comment

The Book of the Ler. 924 pages of craziness.

Comment

nice thread by the way Kirby!

Pastwatch by orson scott card
            weaveworld-clive barker

Comment

A suggestion...

Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight - Thom Hartman

Comment

Starting: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I'm sure anyone who has read this book can attest to it's greatness. The book is truly a masterpiece.
                Because the fact is, what blinds us to the presence of alien intelligence is linguistic and cultural bias operating on ourselves. The world which we perceive is a tiny fraction of the world which we can perceive, which is a tiny fraction of the perceivable world, you see.

We operate on a very narrow slice based on cultural conventions. So the important thing, if synergizing progress is the notion to be maximized (and I think it's the notion to be maximized), is to try and locate the blind spot in the culture -- the place where the culture isn't looking, because it dare not -- because if it were to look there, its previous values would dissolve, you see. For Western Civilization that place is the psychedelic experience as it emerges out of nature. -- Terence McKenna

Comment

I set Monte Cristo aside and decided to order Les Miserables [unabridged] by Victor Hugo. This will be the biggest book I've ever read, if I finish. 15 hundred pages, but very much worth it.
                  Because the fact is, what blinds us to the presence of alien intelligence is linguistic and cultural bias operating on ourselves. The world which we perceive is a tiny fraction of the world which we can perceive, which is a tiny fraction of the perceivable world, you see.

We operate on a very narrow slice based on cultural conventions. So the important thing, if synergizing progress is the notion to be maximized (and I think it's the notion to be maximized), is to try and locate the blind spot in the culture -- the place where the culture isn't looking, because it dare not -- because if it were to look there, its previous values would dissolve, you see. For Western Civilization that place is the psychedelic experience as it emerges out of nature. -- Terence McKenna

Comment

east of eden

john steinbeck

good book

Comment

Lis Miserables is on the back-burner. Finished a wonderful book by Voltaire two weeks ago, called Candide. I finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and loved it. I can't wait to read another book by Vonnegut. The next book up is Feodor Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment.

Comment

I just got done with The Game by Neil Strauss. It was interesting the lengths those guys will go to pick up a girl. I'm gonna read that Max Tucker book next along with Dog Language by Roger Abrantes.
                        If you are ever in Portland Or. I highly suggest going to Powell Books. I think is the biggest new/used bookstore in North America. It covers a whole city block. They have every book on every subject you could ever imagine. I've gotten lost for days in there, it's f*cking awsome. They have a couple of locations so make sure you go to the biggest one.

Comment

I'm a huge Kurt Vonnegut fan! I've read Slaughterhouse V, Cat's Cradle, Hocus Pocus, Breakfast of Champions, Deadeye Dick, Slapstick, and just recently finished The Sirens of Titan. Cat's Cradle was by far my favorite, but after reading The Sirens of Titan, it's a toss up. I believe Titan was one of his earlier books and it just feels like a completely different style of writing for him. Was a very good read though.

I had to read Crime & Punishment in highschool and couldn't get through it. I enjoy satire, but haven't read much outside of Vonnegut. I'm open to any suggestions though!

Comment

I'm huge into conspiracy theories, if anyone else shares the interest
                            Dark Mission by Richard C. Hoagland and Mike Bara is a very good read.

Also, for anyone interested in superstrings, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene is interesting.

One more, for any do-it-yourselfers or admirers of the good ol' days,
                            Foxfire Book edited by Eliot Wiggington is incredible.
                            Phil's good, man

Comment

I read Brian Greens Elegant Universe years ago and can also recommend it. Last books I read though was: Drugs and Rights by Douglas Husak, and: Drug Warriors and Their Pray by Richard Lawrence Miller. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to increase their knowledge of the Great Drugwar.
                              Instant Zen

Comment

just read the first 40pages of The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer-

it's gripping-and reminds me of the opening of Saving Private Ryan-i'm sure Speilburg must have read it before making that film

e
                                Dragon Stout lay about

Comment

Working...
                                X