No announcement yet.

A Few Of The Many Things I've Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least I've got the one week covered..

Comment

Here's a few more. The knife is carved dear antler with sterling lost wax cast added. there's an cabochon emerald.. The blade was given by a friend to make a handle, sadly he passed before it was finished.. The skull was cast in aluminum.. Intended to be used on a gear shifter knob.. I went through a skull casting faze. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	17874630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	17874631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	17874632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.JPG
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	17874633Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	17874634

Comment

I really do need an edit option. Deer not dear.

Comment

I'm working on a 6.5"x6.5"x1/4" Raiders plaque, in aluminum, to be welded to 1 1/2" square tubing to fit the trailer hitch receiver on my truck.. A person can make anything they want, no matter who holds the rights. You just can't sell it.. And get caught doing that. They will try to spank you..

Comment

Looks interesting.
            That which matters most

Comment

I'm lucky to have a small shop, and an urge to make the things that come to my mind,, That and being retired and having a small income from the VA and SS... The pandemic didn't much change my day to day life.. I don't play games or watch movies and can only read one or two books a week.. I've many more failures at the things I've tried to make than successes.. Many many more.. My adventures into vacuum forming will cover a lot of my needed posts.
              Last edited by mytwhyt; 06-09-2021, 16:25.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1983_zps2f1cb9d6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	17875358Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1991_zps0fbec10b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	17875359Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1958_zps6c4a15ae.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	17875360Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1990_zps953fec12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	17875361Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1988_zpsf041517b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	17875362
                Before we get to far away from the furnace, here's a few pics of the adjustable size burner made from off the shelf parts.. You will need a drill press and grinder with a metal cutting blade..
                A few other brass water plumbing parts.. Also the wire feed electric welder tips for the gas outlet. They come in assorted sizes.. May need the larger wire size for a larger burner.. Not sure what size I used for the burner I used.. It's like a puzzle you can put together in different ways depending on what size you need.. Much like everything I come up with.. If anyone wants to build one and needs help, just holler.

Comment

Turns out I can edit. I was blocking cookies for this site.. When I allowed them it gave me that option.. I'm dumber than dirt when it comes to using a computer.
                  Trichrider,
                  If you want to build a furnace using Kaowool and welded wire mesh I can post a link so you can see how simple it can be..

Comment

Originally posted by mytwhyt View Post
                    Turns out I can edit. I was blocking cookies for this site.. When I allowed them it gave me that option.. I'm dumber than dirt when it comes to using a computer.
                    Trichrider,
                    If you want to build a furnace using Kaowool and welded wire mesh I can post a link so you can see how simple it can be..
                    i've finished the furnace, except for using the stiffening agent on the ceramic blanket.
                    i'll post pics if that's alright.
                    two burners, built similar to yours with their own tanks and regulators. the tongs both done but do not fit my crucible.
                    i need to get other items for safety' sake, but not too far from firing it up.
                    thank you for the link to the sodium silicone or whatever that chemical is...lol, just ordered it from walmart.
                    "when i run outta weed, i smoke match sticks...
                    that first hit is FIRE!!!"

"I'm not always a dick...but when I am, I drink cheap beer".

Comment

Sure go ahead, not a problem with me.. Really would help with the life of the blanket to coat it. It has some binder in it as it was made.. You'll probably see the need after you fire it up..
                      Last edited by mytwhyt; 06-10-2021, 01:45.

Comment

​ My sterling silver castings are all done using lost wax investment casting... Most of my larger aluminum casting casting ore done using a two piece sand casting molds.. They're getting a little hard for me to handle now.. Most weigh 50# or more.. Here's pics of an ashtray cast in aluminum. The eyes in the ashtray are 10mm onyx cabochons, and a 5mm cz in the center tooth.. It's a little hard to see, a colored store would have been better. It weighs about 1 lb.
                        Last edited by mytwhyt; 06-12-2021, 18:47.

Comment

That deer handle is really nice.i wanted to make swords when I was a kid.i actually did make something resembling a sword out of an antenna when I was ten
                          I AM THE LIQUOR!
                          MASTER OF SHITPUPPETS
                          the only difference between me and you is a couple of drinks

Comment

Originally posted by mytwhyt View Post
                            ​ My sterling silver castings are all done using lost wax investment casting... Most of my larger aluminum casting casting ore dome using a two piece sand casting molds.. They're getting a little hard for me to handle now.. Most weigh 50# or more.. Here's pics of an ashtray cast in aluminum. The eyes in the ashtray are 10mm onyx cabochons, and a 5mm cz in the center tooth.. It's a little hard to see, a colored store would have been better. It weighs about 1 lb.
                            I got a good deal on 2 HUGE graphite crucibles.

They hold 200+ pounds of aluminum, or 400+ pounds of copper.

But I'm not sure if I will ever build the structure to hold them in the kiln fire, and to move them to pour in the mold.
                            Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

who is in Save the Children Mode.

Comment

I use a small 1lb. empty propane canister, with the top cut off, for a crucible. I figure it'll hold about 4 lbs of aluminum. I use a kiln shelf wash to coat the inside.. After 4or5 melts I toss it.. I wouldn't know what to do with one that size.. Just building the equipment to lift it out of the furnace to pour would be a huge task.. Not to mention the furnace you would need to build.. I'm more of a small scale, low budget maker.

I try to make all the equipment I need for my projects.. For lost wax casting it's much easier to buy a casting machine and electric oven on the open market.. I also have other assorted equipment used in the one man repair shop I ran until the 2008 recession.. It killed that business when gold hit $1500-1700 dollars an ounce.. Everyone sold their broken gold jewelry instead of having it repaired..
                              I've got a leg up on the jewelry casting and repairing.. Before I retired, I worked as a bench jeweler diamond setter, in a couple Vegas hotels.. That was in the 70s and 90s..
                              At the moment my shop time is mostly spent on my vacuum forming projects.. It's not that expensive for materials for those projects.. Wood [mdf] for the molds, and .093 sheets of ABS 24"x24",,,
                              Last edited by mytwhyt; 06-12-2021, 18:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X