What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are some brands of AA & AAA batteries a little longer in size?

Treevly

I read a review of a game cam - which I can't find now - and a cam got lousy reviews, often arrived DOA and would not function ........
until some bright spark figured out that Brand A (I forget) batteries did not usually work but Brand B (I forget) DID work and the camera worked well, and that the B batteries were 1/32 of an inck longer or something like that - and these were major brands! Brand A was too short to make good, reliable contact.

Has anyone hear any idea of a brand being a tad longer? I think I have flashlights suffering the same problem.

Thanks

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Never had any issues with batteries, to include but not limited to Lithium Ions etc... The delta of 1/32" = 0.031" or 0.78mm. That's why they use springs on the negative pole.

St. Phatty

YES.

I still have several digital scales, milligram scales.

i stopped using them in favor of a balance scale.

the fit on the electric scales is TIGHT.

i actually have to cut the skin off some of the AAA batteries to make them fit.

as for the length - hopefully your electrical thing, that needs batteries, has springs or something to adjust to different lengths.

White Beard

And you ended up with crap batteries anyway: why trust an auto parts manufacturer to make tiny device batteries - or trust a rebrand that’s cheap enough to be sold at such a ridiculously low price.

Honestly, @ 22 cents each, I would expect them to be junk - and I wouldn’t buy them.

I’ve switched over to Eneloop rechargeables entirely. Only one failure out of dozens, 5-7 years old, the lot of them.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
And you ended up with crap batteries anyway: why trust an auto parts manufacturer to make tiny device batteries - or trust a rebrand that’s cheap enough to be sold at such a ridiculously low price.

Honestly, @ 22 cents each, I would expect them to be junk - and I wouldn’t buy them.

I’ve switched over to Eneloop rechargeables entirely. Only one failure out of dozens, 5-7 years old, the lot of them.
You said it more eloquently than I could at the time.

I use Energizers "camera" cells. They are not cheap but they do last. Duracell of course is my 2nd choice.

The Eneloop seem like a decent batt. I gave up on rechargeable a long time ago as they degrade over time. e. g always recharging them. 5-7 yrs, that's remarkable :)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries come in a short length with no limit on output or charging amps.
The newer models are a bit longer due to a current limiting insert that greatly reduces explosions and fire in the pocket.

My one watt lasers will not accept the longer safety batteries while my ten watt flashlight will not connect the shorter battery.

My AA and AAA are all rechargeable except for outside winter use where temperatures reach minus fifty at times. Energizer Lithium Ion non rechargeable batteries do not freeze.

The rechargeable batteries run 1.2 volts, the regular batteries run 1.5 volts. There are a few devices where this makes a difference.

Long ago I once used a foil spacer to tighten the fit on a transistor radio that had no spring in the battery holder. It worked fine but is not something I would do today.

davers

Also active use batter but want to buy solar panels. Plus in batteries use radiation elements. As we can see radiation is everywhere. But its do not cause harm to people like nuclear powers. I decided to use geiger counter https://ecotestgroup.com/ and checking the level of radiation near my house.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The + nipple on some cells has a flat top, while others have a nipple on the nipple. I once had something that the nipples shoulders hit the plastic moulding and cells without the second nipple didn't work. Same overall length, but the nipples were just that bit different.

The answer might be tin foil.