What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coronavirus.. outlook

armedoldhippy

Veteran
But but but I WANT to panic. It is my RIGHT to panic.

Anyways, good deal that you didn't have the dreaded disease. Every time I get a mild headache, I panic, because it is my right to do so, while flapping my arms and running in circles like a headless chicken.

most chickens i have seen beheaded (many when younger) did NOT run in a circle. most of them ran flat out in a straight line until they hit the chain link fence at the end of the garden. there WERE a few (more amusing) that did backflips etc & a couple that actually got airborne for a few yards in their frenzy...ah, youth & memories. LOVE fried chicken!:tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:
Recovered:
ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
21,825,593 (99.6%)
in Mild Condition

91,578 (0.4%)
Serious or Critical

Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
89,233,229 (97%)
Recovered / Discharged

2,521,573 (3%)
Deaths:comfort:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So everytime a person gets a little bug, they are supposed to turn themselves into the system to be tested processed and identified? How about they just stay home and get better, like we always have done? This crap will never end unless people get fed up with it.

I feel fine now. Since I recovered, it must not have been the dreaded china virus foochie made with his gain of function research. If I had gotten tested, who knows?

I'm 66 now, and they would probably give me a vax. Anybody want mine?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:
Recovered:
ACTIVE CASES
21,832,346 (99.6%)
in Mild Condition

90,674 (0.4%)
Serious or Critical

Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES
89,632,110 (97%)
Recovered / Discharged

2,531,280 (3%)

mr.brunch

Veteran
especially the Colonels kind (back in the day), not that fake KFC crap

I must ask, what happened there?
When I was young, we used to have Kentucky Fried Chicken, then a few years later I went back and it had become KFC.
I’ve always been sure it tasted different and better before?

buzzmobile

Veteran
When I was young, we used to have Kentucky Fried Chicken, then a few years later I went back and it had become KFC.

The Colonel died. PEPSICO is the owner of KFC. The Colonel took his secret with him.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I dunno good buddy, but I remember having an argument with some young whipper snapper, that was categorically saying that KFC was the Colonel's chicken. Not! For starters in the Colonel's Recipe (original) if you remember correctly it contained green flecks. That was Oregano and parsley. Copy cat recipe:

• 3c sifted flour;
  • 1 tsp paprika;
  • 2 tsp garlic salt;
  • 2 tsp onion salt;
  • 1tsp dried oregano;
  • 1tsp powdered sage;
  • 1/2 tsp powdered rosemary;
  • 1/2 tsp powdered thyme;
  • 1 tsp dried parsley;
  • 1tsp salt (adjusted if you use garlic & onion powder, vice salt); and
  • 1tsp black pepper.
It is pretty darn close. Then again it hasn't been around past the '70s. That's 40 some odd years where I went to school. Enjoy! :tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran

agree. it WAS better years ago. no doubt Pepsi cheapened the ingredients/sped the process up to up their profit margin like everyone else does after a buy-out. too bad... i still eat their chicken, but it is not as good.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:
Recovered:
ACTIVE CASES
21,830,073 (99.6%)
in Mild Condition

90,573 (0.4%)
Serious or Critical

Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES
90,009,083 (97%)
Recovered / Discharged

2,539,109 (3%)

redlaser

Veteran
Not to derail too much further on the chicken, colonel died not from corona, but from pneumonia after contracting leukemia in December 1980.

Chicago tribune did an interview with Joe Leadington, who is a colonel nephew, and a picture exists of a scrapbook containing the supposed recipe. A few ingredients aren’t clear in the picture, like the flour amount to add.
11 ingredients added to(?) cups flour (story says 2 cups flour)
1)2/3 t. salt
2)1/2 t. thyme
3)1/2 t. basil
4)1/3 t. oregano
5) 1 t. celery salt
6) 2 t. black pepper
7) 1 t. dried M ( remaining letters not seen) story says mustard
8) 4 t. paprika
9) 2 t. ground garlic ( probably salt) story says salt
10) 1 t. ground G ( rest of letters not seen) story says ginger
11) 3 t. white pepper
^(Link to story showing pic of list) https://www.today.com/food/did-colonel-sanders-nephew-accidentally-spill-secret-kfc-s-recipe-t102219
A pressure cooker is needed for an accurate original version, 350 degrees for 13 minutes.
I started cooking it in 1980 at KFC during the colonels last year, I’m assuming it was an accurate recipe at that time. Have only had it half a dozen times since, and not in the last twenty years. Have to try and compare from memory.

As far as spice volume to flour volume ratios, it was approx. 1/2-3/4 pint of spice blend added to a four gal amount of flour.
The spice blend was already mixed when shipped to stores in 1/2-3/4 pint sized packets to be added to flour.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aarthi Swaminathan and Adriana Belmonte
Sat, February 27, 2021, 10:35 AM

It was January 2021 in McKinley County, New Mexico, and George Munoz was despondent. Ten months into the coronavirus pandemic, the devastating impact on his community weighed him down.

"We live in a small town, so everybody kind of knows everybody right?" Munoz, a representative elected to the state’s legislature. "For seven days straight, I knew somebody who had died.”

McKinley County has one of the highest COVID-related mortality rates in the U.S., according to a new analysis by Yahoo Finance and Economic Innovation Group (EIG), and represents a subset of America for which the coronavirus pandemic has been particularly devastating.

The pandemic has had a 'disproportionate impact on these counties'
McKinley’s fight with COVID-19 isn’t unique: For some parts of the country, pain from worsening job prospects and deaths of despair was felt long before the pandemic made life unimaginably worse.

EIG's Distressed Communities Index (DCI) is a running study of counties that are under the most economic distress. The analysis includes 99% of the U.S. population and all 25,400-plus zip codes with at least 500 residents.

Roughly 50 million Americans live in counties considered "distressed," a category of counties with DCI scores over 80.0. On average, 25% of the population in a distressed county lives below the poverty line, 35% of the prime working age adult population is unemployed, and more than 20% of adults do not have a high school diploma.

“There are many factors, and usually a combination of factors, that can lead to economic distress,” August Benzow, a research and policy analyst at EIG, told Yahoo Finance. "The persistence of that distress is often the result of structural disinvestment, some of it unintentional, as in shrinking tax bases, and some of it more willful, as in a lack of government investment in struggling places.”

Distressed counties generally face a vicious mix of aging demographics, chronic underfunding of its public health institutions, and poverty. These factors converge with local circumstances: The opioid crisis in Pennsylvania and Ohio exacerbated distress, Benzow noted, and the collapse of coal mining jobs exacerbated distress in Appalachia.

Underlying issues are often long-running: In 2000, McKinley had a distressed score of 87.1, according to EIG's analysis, and that number had risen to 94.4 by early 2021.

Adding the number of deaths due to COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents in the country, EIG found the mortality rate for distressed counties to be higher than non-distressed counties. (Estimates for counties smaller than 100,000 residents were adjusted accordingly.)

The resulting analysis reflects "the disproportionate impact on these counties,” Benzow noted.

The lack of coronavirus testing in distressed areas — leading to fewer confirmed COVID-19 cases —could skew the data toward higher death rates, though poorer areas are also more likely to undercount the total death toll. Furthermore, distressed counties are more likely to experience more residents with underlying conditions, less prepared hospital systems, less effective governance, and ultimately a higher number of preventable deaths.

'All these little riddles to try and figure out'
Hancock County in Georgia and its slowly dwindling population of roughly 8,500 is poorly suited for a pandemic.

The county's poverty rate is 24% and median household income is less than $32,000. In 2012, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution noted that Hancock County was “so impoverished that 80 percent of its public school students are eligible for a free-lunch program." As of December 2020, the unemployment rate stood at 8.5%.

Hancock County's DCI score was 99.8 as of February 2021, making it one of the most distressed U.S. counties.

Rural areas in general don’t have quick and easy access to hospitals — rural zip codes lost one in five hospital beds between 2006 and 2017 — and Hancock Memorial Hospital closed in 2001 amid unsustainable debt.

EIG calculated the cumulative death rate in the Hancock County to be 644 per 100,000 — one of the highest across all counties and nearly six times the death rate of Maricopa County in Arizona, a prosperous county with a death rate of 110 per 100,000 people.

Voen Ivey, 18, left, JJ Ivey, 13, right center, Jay Johnson, 19, center, and Te Moss, 18, right, gather in front of their neighborhood in Hancock County, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020, in Mayfield, Ga. Early on, victims of the coronavirus were mostly residents of the county's two nursing homes. Now, it's younger residents too. Coroner Adrick Ingram sees young people in town not wearing masks and gathering in big groups, and it frustrates him. ''I see people who aren't taking it seriously, maybe because they don't see what I see. They don't get to look in people's faces when they've lost somebody.

Union County, Florida, has seen better fortune than Hancock amid the pandemic but still faces immense difficulties.

A small county with a population of roughly 15,000 has a poverty rate of 22% and a median household income of less than $42,000. Union County's DCI score was 95.5 as of February 2021.

EIG calculated the cumulative death rate in the county to be 459 (per 100,000) — one of the highest across all counties — and travel played a big role in spreading the coronavirus there.

“The fascinating thing about COVID and geography is there's just all these little riddles to try and figure out,” Ray Oldakowski, geography professor at Jacksonville University, told Yahoo Finance. “A lot of the people that live in that North Central Florida area, they are going to go back and forth across county boundaries for health care for work and that sort of thing."

'You’re thinking about who’s going to be next'
Munoz, the New Mexico state legislator, said that McKinley County county didn’t really suffer a major setback after he was elected during the 2008 recession until the coronavirus pandemic brought profound devastation.

Roughly 1 in 6 of the county's 72,000 residents — the population is overwhelmingly Native American, with the Navajo and Pueblo Pintado tribes most prevalent — have tested positive for COVID-19.

“I know five people who passed away this past week due to COVID,” Dr. Crystal Lee, an assistant professor at the University of New Mexico’s College of Public Health and member of Navajo Nation, told Yahoo Finance. “A lot of my friends and family members, parents have passed, grandparents, and it’s on a weekly basis. Just on my Facebook feed, I’ve personally known at least 60 people who have passed from COVID since March.”

A patient is taken from an ambulance to the emergency room of a hospital in the Navajo Nation town of Tuba City during the 57 hour curfew, imposed to try to stop the spread of the Covid-19 virus through the Navajo Nation, in Arizona on May 24, 2020 - Weeks of delays in delivering vital coronavirus aid to Native American tribes exacerbated the outbreak, the president of the hard-hit Navajo Nation said, lashing the administration of President Donald Trump for botching its response. Jonathan Nez told AFP in an interview that of the $8 billion promised to US tribes in a $2.2 trillion stimulus package passed in late March, the first tranche was released just over a week ago. (Photo by Mark RALSTON / AFP) (Photo by MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty Images)
A patient is taken from an ambulance to the emergency room of a hospital in the Navajo Nation town of Tuba City during the 57 hour curfew, imposed to try to stop the spread of the Covid-19 virus through the Navajo Nation, in Arizona on May 24, 2020. (Photo by Mark RALSTON / AFP)
More
There are currently average of 14 cases per day in McKinley County, according to The New York Times, which considers McKinley County “very high risk” based on coronavirus trends.

“Seeing it around my community at a constant rate, it’s disheartening for a lot of us and we’re experiencing a lot of grief, a lot of mental and emotional trauma," Lee added, "because you’re thinking about who’s going to be next or hoping it’s not someone that’s close to you."

Ultimately, a healthy recovery from the coronavirus pandemic looks elusive for U.S. counties like McKinley unless there is enough support to address the underlying issues that made them so vulnerable in the first place.

“Sustained investment in these distressed places to help them rebuild their economies is needed," Benzow stressed, "and the goal should be to make their economies more resilient than they were before the pandemic."

Attachments

• d6a3c440-77a8-11eb-b7fd-bfce13a0b137.jpg
    d6a3c440-77a8-11eb-b7fd-bfce13a0b137.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 19

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Coronavirus Cases:

view by countryDeaths:

2,583,666Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES
21,683,762 (99.6%)