What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone into metal detecting

leepy

Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Etrac, learning curve on Etrac...

mate to be really honest with ya id not advise anyone on buyin an AT pro or a minelab as a 1st metal detector thats a whole lot of money to shell out if you find the hobby isnt for you id recommend buyin a cheap one 1st then if you get hooked on the hobby fair play an upgrade but as i said spendin £500-£600 on your 1st detector is silly imo just my thoughts

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
is there any legal issues in the UK about looking in and around castle type areas?

i dont live in the UK but not to far away and there is alot of really old sites some thousands of years old others hundreds that have never been touched. im sure there is some laws preventing this but ;)

leepy

is there any legal issues in the UK about looking in and around castle type areas?

i dont live in the UK but not to far away and there is alot of really old sites some thousands of years old others hundreds that have never been touched. im sure there is some laws preventing this but ;)

yes there is my friend we have lots of legal issues here in the uk infact the laws regarding finds an stuff are a fucking load of bollacks to be honest i mean come on if you find 3or more gold or silver coins in the same field that are more than 300yrs old these are classed as an hoard an must be surrended to the treasury (the queen) like fuck she can go an walk miles an find her fucking own if i find it that belongs to leepy fuck em

MJBadger

Veteran

As leepy said , there is . Basically you cannot go on any private land without written permission , any sites listed as archeological interest etc etc , even common land someone will have a say .
Just a few mile from me is a well known Roman camp & the archeologogists were allowed to excavate just a small area on the perimeter & found quite a lot of stuff including gold & coinage . After they had gone metal detectors were out in force at night & basically left it looking a right mess , enter one brainy soul who developed a pheumatic gun that fired ball bearings between 6in & 12in deep in the ground . Several sites I know of were seeded & they are all left alone now as it`s just a waste of time digging for ball bearings .

leepy

As leepy said , there is . Basically you cannot go on any private land without written permission , any sites listed as archeological interest etc etc , even common land someone will have a say .
Just a few mile from me is a well known Roman camp & the archeologogists were allowed to excavate just a small area on the perimeter & found quite a lot of stuff including gold & coinage . After they had gone metal detectors were out in force at night & basically left it looking a right mess , enter one brainy soul who developed a pheumatic gun that fired ball bearings between 6in & 12in deep in the ground . Several sites I know of were seeded & they are all left alone now as it`s just a waste of time digging for ball bearings .

some of the land i go on are very very near to places of archeological interest infact all the land i go on are i make sure of this lol but some of the fields have been sprayed with tiny bits of alloy mixed into the manure an spread over the entie field to stop detecting as it gives off the same signal as a small silver hammerd coin or ring just a heads up most decent detectors now can block something like a ball bearing so it dosnt register on the detector :dance013::dance013:

justpassnthru

Veteran
mate to be really honest with ya id not advise anyone on buyin an AT pro or a minelab as a 1st metal detector thats a whole lot of money to shell out if you find the hobby isnt for you id recommend buyin a cheap one 1st then if you get hooked on the hobby fair play an upgrade but as i said spendin £500-£600 on your 1st detector is silly imo just my thoughts

The minelab is the one that searches deeper in the states; most land that is 'legal' to search in the states, is often private or someone has a 'claim' on it, like a gold mine. Legal search areas have been combed through and the 'finds' are often, much deeper.

The best finds I've seen are from those that do their 'homework' as leepy does.

Today, I saw a White's coinmaster, almost new in a thrift shop for $30. That is why leepy is saying to start with a cheaper one, many dislike the hunt and the process; everyone likes 'finds' like leepy's.:biggrin: It takes work and diligence. jpt

leepy

The minelab is the one that searches deeper in the states; most land that is 'legal' to search in the states, is often private or someone has a 'claim' on it, like a gold mine. Legal search areas have been combed through and the 'finds' are often, much deeper.

The best finds I've seen are from those that do their 'homework' as leepy does.

Today, I saw a White's coinmaster, almost new in a thrift shop for $30. That is why leepy is saying to start with a cheaper one, many dislike the hunt and the process; everyone likes 'finds' like leepy's.:biggrin: It takes work and diligence. jpt

cheers m8 it makes sense to buy a cheaper model 1st if you ask me and your right about the 'homework' it dose pay off in a massive way iv never been anywere i havnt read up on an studied b4 hand.
shit to going out to random locations i cant see the point the odds of finding something very very old or intresting are next to none iv never been out an not come home with something for the display case :tiphat:

Last edited:

justpassnthru

Veteran
cheers m8 it makes sense to buy a cheaper model 1st if you ask me and your right about the 'homework' it dose pay off in a massive way iv never been anywere i havnt read up on an studied b4 hand.
shit to going out to random locations i cant see the point the odds of finding something very very old or intresting are next to none iv never been out an not come home with something for the display case :tiphat:

Oops! We forgot to cover..the other thing is simply being a 'lucky' person, too. I know someone that picked up a very large rock and took home for landscaping. It seemed to have something in it, that slightly rattled. After it was broken open a 2 oz gold nugget was inside it; Regular common pretty rock.

That person was 'hooked' after that and studied migration of people, etc, ghost towns, on and has many decent nice 'finds.'

Not to mention the walking and activity was great for diabetes. :biggrin:jpt

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Oh wow. Thread resurrection alert. I started a thread tonight without seeing this one. Here's what I posted at the other one.
I ended up with a metal detector as payment for a debt a few days ago. I'm not familiar with them at all other than playing around with one years ago.
I got a good deal in the trade. The detector I ended up with is a Garrett AT Pro. Looking online Im seeing them for sale for around six hundred bucks and they are supposed to be a pretty good model. This one is basically new, only two months since bought, in the box with warranty card, sales slip etc. Also got both regular land and waterproof underwater headphones along with a pin pointer too.
Im going to take it out this week and hit some old home sites in the woods and maybe a little bit on the beach. Seems there is quite a learning curve to these things.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just picked up a Garrett AT Pro myself started out with the Garret Ace 250 mostly for the beach but been getting more serious about hunting around old structures built in the late 1800's etc only taken it out once so far but will be hitting some locations this week were schools,houses,stagecoaches,post offices etc once sat in my county can't wait I love the hunt.

Perpetual Nooch

Cool hobby. If I lived in Europe I'd definitely be into metal detecting. Just so many layers of history of there.

I still see a few guys in the parks over here in the New World, but they're finding mostly 19th century artifacts.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
always wanted to try one..there is guys in az using em and finding lots of nuggets in a certain area ..here in so cal there is drunk tourists at the beaches..i could use one while looking for sand crabs and scoping out the fishing action...yeehaw...one day maybe..def want a water proof one at some point

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I've got a few..

I've got a few..

I'm a Gold Prospector, anyone else looking for Gold?

I have :

White MXT
Whites TI Pulse
Minelab Extera 705

Getting too hot out there now

And just so you know :party: It helps to be high when prospecting

Or you gotta be high to go Gold Prosoecting :biggrin:

St. Phatty

is there a kind of metal detector that can detect metallic clays & sands ?

e.g. "flour gold" - where the gold particles are tiny, .001 inches for example.

All the detectors seem oriented to finding coins etc.

I'd be happy to find metallic gold on a piece of quartz etc ... or a skull with gold fillings ... but mostly I'd like to find deposits of black sand, flour gold, etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts