What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SCUBA Diving...

T

toughmudderdave

Who's done it? Where have you been? I've been to The Cook Islands, Belize, Cozumel, Bali (twice), and Puerto Rico.

Anyone have any favorite dive destinations?

supermanlives

Veteran
bahamas and the keys and new england but not as nice.. got my certs as a kid. havent been in years. havent got wet yet in cali. looking at la jola for a dive. nowhere as nice as where you have been tho. keys are great for a us dive.

McTore

Sharm el Sheik in Egypt, Roatan in Honduras.. Took my open water in Denmark, cold and murky!! Then i went to Roatan for three months and took my divemaster.. On a side note Roatan is a transit island for cocaine going from south america to the us, so if you're into that kind of thing, it is highly recommended!

F

Fred el Gato

Same as superman, got the certs as a teen but haven't gone for years. Have only done the Keys for saltwater, most of my hours have been in freshwater lakes around mid-west. Got to hit those early in the year for clarity(think ice under the docks).Have swam with small schools of walleye and rock bass in the lakes. When diving behind dams have run into old forest areas(scary), wanted to dive the old town that is there but DNR watches it real good. Would love to go again, maybe some day.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i havent scuba'd yet but i snorkle turlte bay (wailea) all the time... take the mask & snorkle out on the sup and check things out.
honolua bay is really nice too.
ive got to get out to molokini....

THC123

Veteran
I always go to marsa shagra ecovillage in egypt

Cool place to dive and to get stoned

One time i toked some hash with an egyptian guy working there just before diving

after that i made the mistake of taking the wrong bottle to go diving.

I took an empty one with only 50 bars so i had to snorkle back all alone stoned while everyone was 40 meters below me

since then i have never toked up before diving

also went to the philippines once but underwater life was dull compared to egypt

B

buddymate

also went to the philippines once but underwater life was dull
Which pisland did you dive THC?Some great reefs around pinas down south,apo island,Panglao,malapascua(guaranteed sharks).

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Diver here. I've dove in Cozumel probably the most but also the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, Little Cayman, Puerto Vallarta, Siint Maarten etc..

Imo it is hard to beat Cozumel diving, it is so consistently good and such a nice place to be.

This winter I'm headed to Australia/New Zealand and am going to be for sure diving the Poor Knights Islands on the North Island and also in Australia.

As far as Australia goes, how is the diving South of the Great Barrier reef? I will be in Sydney for four days and want to get up to the ss yongala but I think it's too far.

Anyway I love diving, the coolest thing I do, by far.

T

toughmudderdave

Diver here. I've dove in Cozumel probably the most but also the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, Little Cayman, Puerto Vallarta, Siint Maarten etc..
How's Bonaire? I really would like to do Bonaire.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Bonaire is also hard to beat. The entire island is a marine park and almost every dive site is on the leeward side and marked on the road. Most people rent a truck, head to the drive through air/nox fill up stations and then just park at any one of the sites and hop in.

Bonaire is especially well known for macro life, lot's of seahorses etc.. It isn't well known for bigger pelagic life which in my mind is the biggest (yet very small) drawback. It has been rated as one of the top dive destinations in the world for a long time and I think it deserves it.

I have yet to dive the red sea or the South Pacific. I would die to go to truk lagoon etc..

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I'm going to make it down that way one of these years, would love to do a month or so tour of S.E. Asia. It's high on the list

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find things that are complicated not as much fun..

get a mask, hold your breath, and look at the fish, is how I do it

irobot sd

1327355591992929.jpg

I don't trust all the air i be need in that little ass cuba tank

S

SeaMaiden

I had an opportunity a few years ago to hit the Red Sea via Egypt, as part of a trip overseas (Interzoo show in Nuremburg, not known for its diving, but perhaps for its dives?, then onto Egypt and the Red Sea). I am still kicking myself for not making that trip, especially now.

BEST diving I've experienced in tropical waters has been the north coast of Bali, by far. Anyone who's into marine ornamentals, especially anyone who's worked the trade, would just lose their nuts diving that area. In fact, when we were there a couple, who just happened to also be wholesalers from the Big Island, were also there. They were BLOWN AWAY by the diversity and health of the reefs, said HI couldn't compare, was a desert if you did try to compare.

I've also dived SoCal waters in winter. Tough diving (beach dives), but beautiful once you get down there. You've got to time your dives properly or there'll be no visibility, if you're diving waters like California. COLD, seriously, fucking COLD. If there were such a thing as a 30mil suit I would try to put it on.

I usually need to use a Transderm patch to dive if there is a lot of surge action happening, otherwise I'm chumming.

Lakota412

I have

I have

only been scuba diving in The Philippines, in Davao. A friend of mine owns a dive shop there, and I get to go almost everyday I am there, $10 a day, crazy cheap. I need to get my gear sent to my back home, so I can go other places. It is a feeling like no other, to feel that weightlessness and be able to float.