No announcement yet.

CBG breeding and current varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparantly CannaBiogen has an Auto CBG, but I am unsure if this is CBG dominant or a THC dominant variety with 'high' CBG
    Mycophyte Solutions- Sustainable agricultural consulting, specializing in hemp and plant-fungi interactions.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels…upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" -Mario Savio

Comment

Originally posted by GrowingHigher View Post
      XX
      You basically had it right in the post you edited. The "swiss cannabinoid story" guy had a CBG dominant variety made possible via mostly inactive CBDAS. This particular version is well known and described in the literature. What appears to be the case is that germplasm was crossed with a plant containing the same inactive THCAS gene we discovered sometime in 2018 or 2019. The resulting F1 contains both genes, but will segregate if selfed. Seed production of "Matterhorn" was outsourced by HGH to a number of different smaller farms to make seed in time for 2020; the question is, what was being used to make the seed? Science suggests that HGH was supplying F1 cuttings (or seed, given the enormous phenotypical variation present in the F2s) to those farms, who then made F2 seeds. We know for sure the population segregates like an F2.

The more interesting backstory--the real story, if you will--is how the heck our inactive THCAS made it into a Swiss breeding effort in 2018. Luckily, it's short. We grew a bunch of CBG material for trimmed flowers in 2017 (3 phenotypes) and sold them all to a Swiss based company that is no longer in business; the principal guy for that company was close with the person behind the Swiss cannabinoid breeding effort. The many many pounds we successfully exported to Switzerland contained a few seeds per pound, due to herms popping up in one of our greenhouses on 2/3 phenotypes. Simplest answer is usually right, so in this case we suspect bag seed once again unites the cannabis world even continents apart.

Comment

I have caught HGH redhanded telling bald-faced lies about the origins of a variety before, claiming they had bred it in house when that simply wasn't the case. So I certainly do not trust them as a source of legitimate information.

However... I had never heard of Matthias Ghidossi and Swiss Cannabinoid before this, so I want to be sure what this variety is before throwing it under the bus. Though the release of F2 seed to farmers raises serious doubts about their legitimacy as seed producers in its own right. It also lends credence to a rushed timeline that would be required if they used an Oregon CBD bagseed from 2017.

They claim Carmagnola and Panakeia strains made it. Carmagnola is a well known CBG fiber strain of ~5% potency. I assume this is where the fiber-derived null allele comes from. Panakeia, on the other hand, I really don't know where this one came from. So what I am left questioning is how common is the null THCAS variant Oregon CBD identified in drug-Cannabis gene pools? Any one who wants to make a high-cannabinoid CBG plant is going to incorporate 'marijuana' varieties into their breeding programs, even if they use fiber-derived null alleles. Maybe Panakeia is derived from type-1 Cannabis with the same null allele. Perhaps it actually isn't that rare for a breeding program aimed at developing a CBG-rich, low-THC variety -operating alongside the rise of selfing among marijuana breeders in the last 20 years- to end up utilizing the same null allele from the general marijuana gene pool?

I am curious how the Whistler clones synthase sequence compares.
        Last edited by GrowingHigher; 04-15-2021, 03:50.
        Mycophyte Solutions- Sustainable agricultural consulting, specializing in hemp and plant-fungi interactions.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels…upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" -Mario Savio

Comment

Panakeia

Comment

Working...
          X