Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fruit trees

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fruit trees

    I thought I would start a thread where people can post about their fruit trees.


    I have 2x Red Love apple trees in pots, 1x Peach (freestone) in a pot, 1x finger lime in a pot and 1x orange in a pot, they are all in 50 liter pots.



    The Red Love apple trees have just come out of dormancy and have new leaves, it has just finished flowering, should I give it growth or bloom nutes and what ph should they be?
    The Red Love apple has red flesh and doesn't go brown when cut or mashed.



    The peach has also just come out of dormancy with new leaves and has just finished flowering, should I give it growth or bloom nutes and what ph should they be?
    My Grow Setup 2;
    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=370402



    Originally posted by MOneYMiKe
    But my freedom doesn’t end where your fears begin
    Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana
    - Can't we all just get a bong?
    Originally posted by flylowgethigh
    ....

    Ya'll free to do what you want, except force your fears onto me.

    #2
    I never grew fruit trees in a pot before. I've seen fruit tree fertilizer steakes next to the normal ones. I think it's Jobes brand.

    There was a good post by Gypsy about the soil under an apple tree about the apples composting and feeding it once every fall. (I'm collecting some next spring for my yard weed). After that, it dormancy, followed by watering and fruiting without anything extra. Pruning is probably the most important thing.

    Don't confuse a flower with a tree. I doubt very much if anything other than living soil would help. It might actually hurt.
    ---

    "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
    --Socrates

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by TychoMonolyth View Post

      Don't confuse a flower with a tree. I doubt very much if anything other than living soil would help. It might actually hurt.
      KNF inputs. See Chris Trump's macadamia nut farm for a prime example of the right way to do it.

      When I bought this house, I put in what I thought was a dwarf bartlett pear tree. Well, turns out it wasn't a dwarf, but a full size tree. I've had to keep her trimmed way back and turn it more or less into a bush on a stick.

      Last year I put in a peach tree bare root and a dwarf cherry tree that I bought from the same place. The peach tree was a bare stick with some roots growing out the bottom. Not a single leaf. It never did anything so I finally got pissed and yanked it out of the ground. It hadn't grown any new roots.

      My cherry tree almost died because they cut back 2/3 of the root mass before shipping, and it had way too much foliage. That one I was able to save. But it took all summer to finally recover.

      From now on, no more mail order fruit trees.
      current catch all grow thread

      SSSDH x GROM/Digiberry from Stank Bros.

      Comment


        #4
        I put in a peach tree. I'm zone 5. Peaches are zone 4. It lived for 3 years. Year 2 gave me 24 beautiful Peaches but the raccoons pulled them down before I could and took a bite out of every single one. Cocksuckers.
        ---

        "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
        --Socrates

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
          I put in a peach tree. I'm zone 5. Peaches are zone 4. It lived for 3 years. Year 2 gave me 24 beautiful Peaches but the raccoons pulled them down before I could and took a bite out of every single one. Cocksuckers.
          That sucks.

          I'm ok with losing some peaches. And I've lost more than a few tomatoes over the years as well. But don't fuck with my cherries or it's clobbering time!
          current catch all grow thread

          SSSDH x GROM/Digiberry from Stank Bros.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Frosty Nuggets View Post
            I thought I would start a thread where people can post about their fruit trees.

            I have 2x Red Love apple trees in pots, 1x Peach (freestone) in a pot, 1x finger lime in a pot and 1x orange in a pot, they are all in 50 liter pots.

            The Red Love apple trees have just come out of dormancy and have new leaves, it has just finished flowering, should I give it growth or bloom nutes and what ph should they be?
            The Red Love apple has red flesh and doesn't go brown when cut or mashed.

            The peach has also just come out of dormancy with new leaves and has just finished flowering, should I give it growth or bloom nutes and what ph should they be?

            Are you dead set on giving them hydro nutes ?

            Why not just organic NPK kinds of nutes ? e.g. chicken manure, which is 2-2-2 or 2-4-3, mixed into water.

            I planted about 30 fruit trees the last few years. Now that it's started raining, I don't have to worry about watering them - and I can concentrate on feeding them.

            They get 2 sources of N & K, and one source of P.

            If they were fruiting I'd give them more Phosphorus, but I can wait 6 months.

            They had a hard go because they were stripped of leaves about once a week by the local deer.

            I finally caught up with that. Last to get a proper deer fence was a Moorpark Apricot and a Tomcot.

            I did do something right - Moorpark & Tomcot can pollinate each other.


            If you want to get fruit from your plants, you have to start thinking about pollen sources.

            Apples are the most complicated.

            UNLESS you have a crab-apple.


            Personally I'm looking for a really thorny plant to put underneath my mountain lion resistant chicken coop. Wild Plum has really thorny stalks.

            What other plants have REALLY thorny stalks ?
            Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

            who is in Save the Children Mode.

            Comment


              #7
              Never plant a tree in the ground when the month has an R in it.
              ---

              "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
              --Socrates

              Comment


                #8
                But late fall / early winter is a great time to plant and transplant dormant trees!

                Originally posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
                Never plant a tree in the ground when the month has an R in it.
                Simple grafting: process, progress, result

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by zif View Post
                  But late fall / early winter is a great time to plant and transplant dormant trees!
                  Yup.
                  ApRil (too early)
                  May, June, July, August (good)
                  SeptembeR (too late)
                  The other months have an R in them.


                  There are exceptions though. I pulled up an Oak from my forest in September/October because you have to wait for the leaves to fall and the tree to be completely dormant or it just won't make it.

                  My rule came from old time farmers in my area so it may be different down south.
                  ---

                  "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
                  --Socrates

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I’ve had good luck up ‘til the ground is too solid to dig. 45N here.

                    ‘Course some people throw the rules out the window. Sepp Holzer claims he successfully transplants in the summer R months by totally stripping the trees of leaves. I’ve wondered what strike rate you’d get doing that in quantity....
                    Simple grafting: process, progress, result

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by St. Phatty View Post
                      Are you dead set on giving them hydro nutes ?

                      Why not just organic NPK kinds of nutes ? e.g. chicken manure, which is 2-2-2 or 2-4-3, mixed into water.

                      I planted about 30 fruit trees the last few years. Now that it's started raining, I don't have to worry about watering them - and I can concentrate on feeding them.

                      They get 2 sources of N & K, and one source of P.

                      If they were fruiting I'd give them more Phosphorus, but I can wait 6 months.

                      .....

                      Personally I'm looking for a really thorny plant to put underneath my mountain lion resistant chicken coop. Wild Plum has really thorny stalks.

                      What other plants have REALLY thorny stalks ?
                      I have a heap of hydro nutes and no organic, I don't want to have to buy more stuff.


                      Mandarins and finger limes have thorns.
                      My Grow Setup 2;
                      https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=370402



                      Originally posted by MOneYMiKe
                      But my freedom doesn’t end where your fears begin
                      Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana
                      - Can't we all just get a bong?
                      Originally posted by flylowgethigh
                      ....

                      Ya'll free to do what you want, except force your fears onto me.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        hey frosty , i'd just go with a handful of blood and bone ..pretty well all you need for fruit trees in that .

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks rod58, I was hoping to avoid another trip to Bunnings.
                          My Grow Setup 2;
                          https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=370402



                          Originally posted by MOneYMiKe
                          But my freedom doesn’t end where your fears begin
                          Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana
                          - Can't we all just get a bong?
                          Originally posted by flylowgethigh
                          ....

                          Ya'll free to do what you want, except force your fears onto me.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Frosty Nuggets View Post
                            The peach has also just come out of dormancy with new leaves and has just finished flowering, should I give it growth or bloom nutes and what ph should they be?

                            I would give it the growth nutes, priority on Nitrogen and Potassium.


                            You also have some very useful nitrogen nutes being produced every day - organic nitrogen - but that relates to a lifestyle choice that some find distasteful.
                            Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

                            who is in Save the Children Mode.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by St. Phatty View Post
                              I would give it the growth nutes, priority on Nitrogen and Potassium.


                              You also have some very useful nitrogen nutes being produced every day - organic nitrogen - but that relates to a lifestyle choice that some find distasteful.
                              The guy who started me on the path of growing my own swore up and down it was the absolute best source of nitrogen you could find for a quick application.

                              He wasn't wrong.
                              current catch all grow thread

                              SSSDH x GROM/Digiberry from Stank Bros.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X