What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruit trees

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Nice.

I'd like to see some pics of that sugarcane mulch when you get a chance.
Here you go mate.

picture.php

Rico Swazi

mulch looks nice though a bit close to the root crown. I suggest you pull it completely away 3 fingers or so to prevent disease.

I would not use Cyco Zyme as it is made for soilless soil and may damage your roots if not enough organic matter is present

Keep an eye on root temps also. Concrete can carry heat over the evening hours which may or not be what you want.
Shading the containers would help keep the temp more consistent

Lastly, sorry to hear of the bust
bunch of fookin wanks for doin what they did
Good vibes going forward mate

St. Phatty

I dried out a Mango seed and then put it in the freezer.

Then I took it out of the freezer !!! :woohoo:

I think this is the part where I put it in soil and light a doob and then,

we wait

is it a paperweight or a baby fruit tree ?

I don't know if orange berries that birds like to eat, fall in the category of fruit.

will take pics when I'm not so lazy :)

you know, those bushes that have bunches of orange berries ?

Birds like them I think.

I dried them out, they're almost done with that.

Then I was going to give them some freezer time,
and plant them.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I dried out a Mango seed and then put it in the freezer.

Then I took it out of the freezer !!! :woohoo:

I think this is the part where I put it in soil and light a doob and then,

we wait
Did you take the seed out of the seed husk or shell? Have had the most success doing that. Never put in the freezer though, always planted as fresh as possible.

St. Phatty

Did you take the seed out of the seed husk or shell? Have had the most success doing that. Never put in the freezer though, always planted as fresh as possible.

I'm trying to simulate what they would get in nature.

Though I guess mango seeds might dry out, it's not like they're in the Himalayas or anything.

Anyway, will move it to "gentle warmth" on top of a ballast to dry it out. Then see what happens.

Also got some orange seeds.

Nannymouse

Many fruit trees won't work this far north (usa/canada border)

Property has chokecherry and juneberry patches, we planted some apple trees, maybe get apples next year. If we get late spring frosts, no fruits.

St. Phatty

I put out about 35 new fruit trees, in groups of 2 or 3 or 5, according to who pollinates who.

Pink Lady pollinates Mcintosh pollinates Gravenstein, for example.

But now we're getting some COLD weather !

Good thing I didn't plant them in the ground.

Now I have to bring them all indoors, for a few days. :groupwave:

St. Phatty

Wow that's dedication St Phatty. :bow:

Would it be OK to let the bare-roots get snowed on & maybe be hit by temps in the low 20's ?

Did that last year with a Cannabis plant. I guess 3 survived & 1 died. Or maybe it was 1 survived & 3 died.

It's interesting how our Appetite for Yield produces overly large & heavy plants, with fruit and with Cannabis.

When I feed my Summer pot plants lots of TLC food and moisture 24/7, and deprive them of pollen, they just put on lots of weight.

With the apple tree I guess that has 2 parts. Every flower has the ability to become an apple, if it is pollinated.

I had a 3 or 4 year old Fuji & Winesap that pollinated each other last year. It looked like the droopy pot plants with the heavy branches. 1/2 inch thick branch loaded with 10 20 or 30 apples.

I think in nature they are not pollinated so heavily, when they are in the 5 foot tall plant stage.

The Fuji & Winesap that pollinated each other contravened the Orthodoxy. Winesap is not supposed to pollinated Fuji. I think that part has to do with the time of flowering.

If they flower at the same time, they can pollinate each other. Something like that.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I don't think low temps will do any good but I may be wrong.
Sounds like you are getting a good crop of apples, I am only getting 2 apples from my 2 Red Love apple trees as the 2 year old in the next door unit pulled the others off, the parents let him run around the driveway between units unsupervised and he is a destructive little brat pulling the petals from roses and shaking the shit out of things.

zif

Veteran
Playing the heritage lotto with a few apple seedlings.

I plucked the seeds from fruit of the 'chestnut' cultivar, pollen donor unknown. The mom is a large crab / small eating apple, with absolutely incredible flavor. The orchard where I picked these is full of tastier elites, so the dad is probably something good, too.

I have low expectations, but these 11 plants love the grow room, and might get big enough to graft on to mature trees this year. So maybe just a couple years until a taste test is possible.

picture.php

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Just moved my baby fruit trees outside.

The ones in the grow room with the LED, where the Cannabis plants are getting pollinated by an Apollo 11 F3 and a Romberry cross, STARTED FLOWERING.

That is the trick in "heeling" a tree, protecting it from the cold without making it think that spring has started.

Then again, the cotton wood is already covered with white flowers or buds.

Anyway, I knew the best option for the fruit trees was to get them all in the ground NOW.

I have one batch of 7 apple trees, 3 Fuji's, 2 Winesaps, a Gala, and something else. I'm trying to create territory for the birds.

I was wondering where to plant my potatoes. Guess I will give every apple tree 3 or 4 potato plants.

So now it's about 30 existing fruit & nut trees + 35 new ones.

It goes much faster with the new ones. I am planting a lot of them where they are surrounded by existing trees so making a deer fence is WAAAY easier.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have a question about lemon and lime trees... i have em in pots, outside in may, brought into a greenhouse room in oct - they grow like crazy... BUT... both r at least 10years old, and never have a had a flower...NEVER... so its now mid feb, should it be pruned back a bit and when to fertilize...

i bought a meyer lemon tree last spring from qvc (don't laugh) , and it had blooms on it, and i got 12 nice size lemons in dec n jan...