What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing chilies in tropical climates?

v1ru5

Hey,

A while ago I sent my friend who lives in Thailand some extremely hot chili seeds. (C. Chinense)

He is a total newbie for what it comes to gardening.

Would anyone have a good guide for growing chilies in tropical climates?

It would be good if it would cover everything from propagation to harvest.

I live in a cold climate in the northern hemisphere so even though I could give him advice, maybe there is some tropical climate chili growers that "know better"?

Post your links!

Thanks in advance,

v1

therevverend

Veteran
My response is late but better late then never! My buddy had a lot of success growing chilis in Hawaii, basically doing it the same way as he did back home in a temperate climate. Very easy to grow in the tropics, use a similar mix to what you'd use in a temperate climate. The main difference is that chilis don't die off every winter, they become perennials. You're growing a bush or shrub of chilis as opposed to an annual that has one shot. (although I've had great success overwintering in an east-facing window) They need a lot more food and space for both their foliage and their roots.

One trick with peppers regardless of where you're growing them, they fruit when they get low on nitrogen. That's their flowering trigger as opposed to day length. I'll let my peppers get rootbound when I want them to fruit, with some P and K. Then I'll transplant them when I want them to put on more vegetative growth.

janglos199

I also tried to grow chili when I was working a gardener job. It did work out, as I was just following my supervisor's lead. Few years later I tried to grow them again for myself, but I've forgotten everything about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts