What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hot peppers

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Who is growing hot peppers this year? I started some Caribbean Red Hot, Bishops Crown, and Manzano (Orange Rocoto) under the big light. It snowed again last night so I don't need to worry about getting them outside for quite a while.

Cvh

Supermod
Me and the misses are just starting to grow peppers. Only been growing them for a few years.

We aren't growing any of those super hots, but just the varieties we love to consume.

This year it's Jalapeno, Japones and African Birds Eye.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I goggled Japones and African Birds Eye and both of them sound fantastic for culinary use.

Brother Nature

Recently acquired a ghost chilli plant. Starting to get pretty cold here so have just moved her into the corner of the veg tent. Will be interesting to see how it performs under LEDs.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've been growing peppers in my veggie gardens for a long time, and every single year for the past 10 years.

I grow red bell peppers because we like them but also because they cost so damn much at the supermarket..
We use them fresh during the growing season and take a lot of them to slice in thin strips, freeze on a cookie sheet and put in vacuum bags to use all winter...

I also grow long banana peppers and we use them the same as the red bells.

As far as hot peppers go, I grow a very hot pepper that comes from China and is known as Tien Tsin peppers, also known as Chinese red peppers.
Of course, all peppers originated in the Americas for more than 10,000 years.. They never reached China until at least the very late 15th century..

These particular peppers grow pointing up and the are very hot...
We use them sparingly in our cooking because of the heat...They are not the very hottest peppers on the planet, but they're pretty high on the list..

At the end of garden season, I let them dry naturally, sitting in shallow bowls in the kitchen of pantry..
Then I put them in jars to use during winter and Spring..
I also split open some dry ones, remove most of the seeds and grind them into flakes with a Krupps coffee grinder.. Any spinning blade type food processor will do this..

These pics are not mine, although I have some somewhere...pics of them fresh and dried...
They are about 1 to 2 1/2 inches long..

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES, LIPS OR ANYWHERE ELSE AFTER HANDLING THESE PEPPERS, FRESH OR DRIED!
Wash your hands very well with a strong dish detergent , and even then, still be careful..

I love growing peppers... Along with all kinds of other veggies in my large raised bed gardens!

Oh, PS... a friend of mine here on icmag started growing them this winter in Denmark after he got some seeds I mailed him..
If you're serious about growing some yourself, PM me... I have lots of seeds and I'd be happy to share them
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0413_final_cropped_for_website.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.1 KB ID:	17839300
Click image for larger version  Name:	dried.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	17839301

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I've been growing peppers in my veggie gardens for a long time, and every single year for the past 10 years.

I grow red bell peppers because we like them but also because they cost so damn much at the supermarket..
We use them fresh during the growing season and take a lot of them to slice in thin strips, freeze on a cookie sheet and put in vacuum bags to use all winter...

As far as hot peppers go, I grow a very hot pepper that comes from China and is known as Tien Tsin peppers, also known as Chinese red peppers.
Of course, all peppers originated in the Americas for more than 10,000 years.. They never reached China until at least the very late 15th century..

We use them sparingly in our cooking because of the heat...They are not the very hottest peppers on the planet, but they're pretty high on the list..

At the end of garden season, I let them dry naturally, sitting in shallow bowls in the kitchen of pantry..
I also split open some dry ones, remove most of the seeds and grind them into flakes with a Krupps coffee grinder.. Any spinning blade type food processor will do this..

These pics are not mine, although I have some somewhere...pics of them fresh and dried...

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES, LIPS OR ANYWHERE ELSE AFTER HANDLING THESE PEPPERS, FRESH OR DRIED!
Wash your hands very well with a strong dish detergent , and even then, still be careful..

I love growing peppers... Along with all kinds of other veggies in my large raised bed gardens!

Oh, PS... a friend of mine here on icmag started growing them this winter in Denmark after he got some seeds I mailed him..
If you're serious about growing some yourself, PM me... I have lots of seeds and I'd be happy to share them

nice variety .... keep em going.... i brought my overwintered ghost/reapers/lemon hots/cayenne/thai's out side last week - last 2 nite have been in the high 30;s... def under 40.... but they ain't dead, prob stunted them a bit, but its a long season... started some jalepenos, more lemon hots, some fatelli's and Georgia flames.... and yes a bunch of not-hots tooo...

ElGato

Veteran
alright we got some hot pepper fans yeah!!

this season I have Fish peppers, Jalapenos, Red Habaneros, Italian Cherry peppers, Purple Pequins and Purple flash. I've also got 1 plant of lunchbox Orange snacking peppers -they are the sweetest little peppers i've ever grown, super tasty

started them from seed in late feb. and they're all outside now, some of the Fish & Jalapenos are already over a foot tall

pic's in a few months, when there's something worth seeing

Betterhaff

Veteran
Who is growing hot peppers this year? I started some Caribbean Red Hot, Bishops Crown, and Manzano (Orange Rocoto) under the big light. It snowed again last night so I don't need to worry about getting them outside for quite a while.
Where did you get the Manzano/Orange Rocoto's ? I've grown red Rocotos and love them. Sneaky hot hot. To get the most fruit I help with the pollination by hand.

Blazeee

Veteran
Ive got a few chillis on the go this year, mainly Jalapenos, some bishops crown, lemon drop and a chilli I got from my local grow shop called Piperka.

Im not really in to super hot chillis, mainly like to grow the jalapenos for making jalapeno poppers 😁

Radicle Rye

IMG_0421[1].JPG

Did someone say Hot Peppers?!!! Only one tray are sweet peppers the rest are hot. Too many different varieties to list.

Great outdoors

Another hot pepper lover here, been growing them for years.
The last 2 summer's though have been too cold and wet. Didn't get much love though the ganji still fared well.
Gut feeling is it will be a normal summer this year and my harvests will abound again🌶️

Great outdoors

Those sound like the pepper's I used to get in Fiji and have never seen since. I might hit you up for some seeds.

Gry

Have the Anaheim going again, easy to grow and they do pretty well here.
Would like to have some Hatch as well, which is the parent plant to the Anaheim if I am not mistaken.
Hear they tolerate the heat well.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
So far I have a couple Caribbean Red Hots growing and 1 Bishops Crown vegging. No sign of the Manzanaros yet but the directions say they are very hard to grow. Aridbud is going to send me some local peppers seeds so maybe they will veg better.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I like Scotch bonnet, ghost is nice, but many folks choke and convulse with them.

Scotch bonnet is more acceptable to the regular user.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have the Anaheim going again, easy to grow and they do pretty well here.
Would like to have some Hatch as well, which is the parent plant to the Anaheim if I am not mistaken.
Hear they tolerate the heat well.

The Hatch chile is because of where they are grown - Mesilla Valley of New Mexico, where the town of Hatch is located. There are different chile pepper strains of "Hatch" (sub par in my opinion). Mild/Medium= Big Jim, Hot= Sandia, Extra Hot = Barker, 15,000-30,000 SHU.

Prefer getting chiles and seeds from area Native Pueblo farmers. Pojoaque has nice triangular meaty chiles, Jemez, a smaller version used primarily after turning red.

Cvh

Supermod
A few of my plants are already flowering and fruiting. 🙂
That's a little jalapeno on this photo. This one got planted beginning of march.

Attachments

• photo2044581.jpg
    photo2044581.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 47

Gry

Am inclined to want to go with some of the less hot chilli's as I consume a lot of them.
Would say they may represent 20% of my intake at times, really enjoy them a great deal,
and eat lots of them.
I take 4 Anaheim, 4 poblano, bell, and a half pound of mushrooms, and run them through the food processor and then slowly
cook them down to a paste. Put it in jars and it becomes a breakfast practice for me.
Makes for a bright wake up put on toast in the morning.

I'm currently growing some super hots. Chocolate primotali, 7 pot primo, Brain strain, and the carolina reaper. I'll post some photos here in the next day.

Latest posts

Latest posts