What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
dug out 8 plants b4 the 1st cold snap last oct.. now have em in pots in my greenhouse room... i cut em back almost to the soil level, and all have new growth.. i think i have 3-4 hab's, a couple serrano's, and a couple jalapeno's... also have some growing in toppsy-turvey's .. interesting way to gow...small hangin planter, and u put i think 6 plants in holes around it... according to the instructions, peppers like to have their roots innertwined... never heard that b4, but i grew some hab's/serrano's, and another smallish hottie in there, and they grew very well

now ordering some real hotties for the upcoming season..can't wait...

supermanlives

Veteran
transplanted 3 pepper plants and gave them a haircut. they made it through the winter so far. cherry pepper,bhuts and jalapenos. this year my front lawn will be a garden as i dont eat grass. gonna plant some seeds from them as they prob cross pollinated

B

bonecarver_OG

:) we are now having warmer nights again... i think i can soon take out my pepper plants.

edit - does anybody know what minimum night-temps rocotos can handle? i mean we are having 6-8ºC nights and my rocoto seedlings are really big enough to take out and plant them into the soil outside..

i know rocotos are cold resistant, but does that aply to foot tall seedlings also?

hehe :D a rocoto-noob :D lol

edit 2 - never mind - i just found some info...

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

nothing special, only that rocots handle the cold well once mature. id say it means atleast once its old enough to give fruit and such as far as i know - so even if my seedlings of rocoto are now 4 months old, they still have soft tissue in the stem and branches and could easilly freese like any more normal chili. anyway, i dear supose its not going to die with the night temps we got now, but i prefeer to wait 2 weeks more

anyhow - im starting to prepare the spots tomorow ... this year i will move and use my greenhouse structure as trellis for the big baccatums and the rocotos .. also i got about 400 liters of recycled coco from all the winters and autumns indoor projects to mix into the soil. just going to go over to the neighbour and get some chicken manure and im set!

i got planned to some day actually fix up the greehouse structure i got and use part of it for growing more tropical things during winter and for seedlings. lets see if i get it down sometime :D shoudl take some stress away!

peace!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
is there any of you guys that has this article or acces to it and could share it?

Inheritance of mature fruit color in Capsicum annuum L.
Humberto Hurtado-Hernandez and Paul G. Smith
J Hered (1985) 76 (3): 211-213.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
anyhow - im starting to prepare the spots tomorow ... this year i will move and use my greenhouse structure as trellis for the big baccatums and the rocotos .. also i got about 400 liters of recycled coco from all the winters and autumns indoor projects to mix into the soil. just going to go over to the neighbour and get some chicken manure and im set!

i got planned to some day actually fix up the greehouse structure i got and use part of it for growing more tropical things during winter and for seedlings. lets see if i get it down sometime :D shoudl take some stress away!

peace!

Sounds like a great plan, good luck!

=K

B

bonecarver_OG

prepared the garden today for the coming chillie season :) im aching all over lol. darn hardwork hehehe :) since many of the plants from last year are still alive and taking up the spots in my old raised beds, i have had to make new ones for this year. atm it seems like ONLY the chinensis varieties have taken the overwintering badly. the incaberries, bubbas and starfish (baccatums) are all starting of for this season from stems from the last years plants, all most of them are close to 3 feet tall from start. the bubbas are monsters and some of them are well over 4 feet tall with new sprouts coming out all over the stems :D

even the jalapeños have made it !

also the spanish variety called guindilla - ppl should try it - it gets darn tasty and pretty hot once mature and smokes well. its like a huge cayenne in looks but goes from lightgreen to yellow and orange and finally red. becomes crunchy in vinegar and its quite thick flesh..

all in all i got overwintered and growing shoots 36 chili plants - so really my chili needs are covered but out of curiosity im growing new strains anyway :D

finally the nagamorich seeds didnt germ, and neither the criolla sella (like last year, although seeds from different supply)

i planted about 1-2 weeks ago a whole lot of a huge sweetpeppper variety, and of trinidad scorpion, jalapeño hercules and zanahorio triangulo. also i did plant more seeds of various of the strains i planted for this season.

indoors i got;
complete list is in post below!

Last edited:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
My back garden plot has thawed enough to start prepping it,... and my 20yr old rototiller shit the bed! :frown:

Got a new unit today and have about 1/3 of the bed turned and raked out. I'll be dropping seeds for some lettuce and spinach this week, Peppers are planted in starter cups inside since its still too cold for them to be started outside.

In the cups;
Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Jalapeno
Serrano
Thai
KungPao for the hot ones.

Green Yellow and Red Bells

Anaheim
Ancho
NewMexico big Jim Chilis

Then I've got some Hawaiian, bolivian rainbow, Phillius blue, and tricolor peppers as decorative superhots :D

B

bonecarver_OG

sucks when machinery break! i do all work by hand. its cheaper and good excersive. i have almost finished with preparing the plots for this year. i tilled everything allready - but since i add coco, compost and chicken/rabit manure each year - the soil is really full of organic matter and is really fluffy and easy to work.

btw - what is phillius blue? cant find online info on that..

i did an inventory of the hot chilies that allready are big enough to take out for transplant into soil.

2 aji norteño
3 gambia red
9 rocoto red
2 aji cristal
3 yellow scotchbonnets
2 red scotchbonnets
1 numex piñata
3 devils tounge
3 morouga yellow
3 datil
3 chocolate long habanero

but i also got planted a whole bunch more of
TSMB
jalapeños hercules
zanahoria triangulo
numex piñata

and a few more too for reserves..

i think this weekend the transplanting outside will begin, if i have time to do shading and such for them all.

also i found a plan of a nice trellis i might use for the bubbas - but with various mods..

wooden_trellis_arbor.jpg

at http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

looks nice! but imho, most chili varieties are very decorative as is. but often the "decorative" varieties taste not too good.

if you want a plant that is REALLY tasty and colorfull, i recomend Zanahoria Triangulo. a chinensis that goes from green, to dark purple black and finally yellow to orange :) and the plant its small, and very productive and pretty hot

a pic from fatalii who is the only one selling them as far as i know.

zanahoria_triangulo234.jpg

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I can't really get an idea on the Fillius flavor, Haven't eaten enough of em yet.

I feel the Bolivian Rainbows, and my Hawaiian have a smokier Chili flavor like an anahime, but both of them pack heat on par with Habanero, the Hawaiian little bit more!

Thanks for the Zanahoria strain! I'll look that one up. :tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
looks nice! but imho, most chili varieties are very decorative as is. but often the "decorative" varieties taste not too good.

if you want a plant that is REALLY tasty and colorfull, i recomend Zanahoria Triangulo. a chinensis that goes from green, to dark purple black and finally yellow to orange :) and the plant its small, and very productive and pretty hot

a pic from fatalii who is the only one selling them as far as i know.

View Image

bonecarver... STOP with the pics... its 8am... n u got my mouth watering....

B

bonecarver_OG

:) hehe

that pic was fatalii's :) im too lazy to check for my own pics now :D

been hauling chicken and rabbit manure, recycled coco and earth all day.. trashed, but im ready to plant first bunch of chili seedlings!

i gotto just think a bit on how to organize the 32 plants of 11 different varieties into my 9 prepared raised beds....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts