What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is curing necessary?

imiubu

-cont-

AFA decarbing prior to making VG tincture or infused oils... I've never done so and my goodies are potent.

As to curing, I now cure/ burp for a shorter period. Once the herb is holding approx. 62%, taste testing begins.
Generally 5-6 weeks passes then, I vacuum seal jars and store in a dark, cool area.

I'm currently (still) utilizing my Jan. 2019 harvest. Even having been vac'd, the buds are browning up and
not as visually appealing as at harvest.
Flavor and aroma profile have changed significantly too. Overall effects seem just
a bit diminished and what I would consider 'heavier' and slightly sedative.
This harvest was 'cured' for approx. 3mo. prior to vacuum sealing.

Flowers from Jan. 2020 harvest were vac sealed at approx. 6 weeks and still hold much of original traits of each strain.

Jan. 2021 harvest was vacuum sealed and put into storage yesterday (6wks. TTD).

While jarring I also make up smaller 'sample' jars for... well... sampling lol to avoid repeatedly opening/ exposing the contents of the larger jars. These are my 'what I'm smoking now' jars.

:tiphat:

Old Toker

I concur. If you ask why it is essential you must never have experienced cured cannabis opposed to uncured cannabis.....
What is the difference between cured and uncured cannabis that is ONLY used to make edibles....and is neither smoked nor vaped?

Old Toker

The only way you are going to satisfy yourself, amidst the ton of replies, pro/against etc... is to carry out the experiment yourself!
May have to do that. I just thought that with so much edibles being consumed....that greater minds (and less patience) would have tried this or perhaps even lab tested it.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
May have to do that. I just thought that with so much edibles being consumed....that greater minds (and less patience) would have tried this or perhaps even lab tested it.
A lot of the edibles taste like sheet (reports), Personally I use PVB to make my brownies and outside of getting you wired, you have no pea picking clue there is cannabis in there, until 20-30 min later. That is what "I" am after :)

sire

What is the difference between cured and uncured cannabis that is ONLY used to make edibles....and is neither smoked nor vaped?

I'm a little off but I was only talking about smoking and vaping but I realize this thread is about both or people spoke about both but even with Edibles from my understanding the curing process which is used to kind of dissipate the harsh chlorophyll taste as well as developing the taste and smell Terps and apparently you still can taste these things in edibles so I would think having at least 3 weeks to 6 weeks cure cannabis would be better tasting

Maple_Flail

Depends on process.

if you are doing the extracting at IIRC below -11*c, and using ethanol and/or Iso then there is minimal difference.

differences would be palette dependent. Can your palette notice/tolerate a minor amount of Chlorophyll.

other methods mileage may vary, TMK most of the commercial places use isolate and distillate to make their edibles.

Old Toker

..you have no pea picking clue there is cannabis in there, until 20-30 min later. That is what "I" am after :)
As am I. I would prefer my edibles to taste like cookies, brownies, coconut butter ect.....not pot. Now....my smoking/vaping stash....well bring on the flavor/smell!

Doesn't THC degrade over a period of time? Does it degrade a "lot" during curing? Enough to mess around with decarbing raw, or almost raw herb?

I (think) that I know better than to apply common sense to science, law and marijuana cultivation. BUT....if flavor and smell are not important (edibles)...AND CBDs are removed (decreased?) during the heating/cooking process (edibles).....then it "seems" to make sense that the sooner you can preserve the THCa by converting it to THC (decarboxylation) and consuming it (edibles) the better. If better=higher THC content. In the words of a wise man:
..That is what "I" am after
smile.gif
I think I will try this with my next harvest. Obviously the results will be completely subjective...but it may help ME decide if in my opinion the juice is worth the squeeze. May compare the water cure method to the traditional cure. I suppose I should try to decarb some 2 day old freshly harvested herb for comparison....but I don't think my current living conditions (neighbors) will allow for that level of smell.

Thanks everyone for the opinions/experience! :tiphat:

Old Toker

Depends on process.

if you are doing the extracting at IIRC below -11*c, and using ethanol and/or Iso then there is minimal difference.

differences would be palette dependent. Can your palette notice/tolerate a minor amount of Chlorophyll.

other methods mileage may vary, TMK most of the commercial places use isolate and distillate to make their edibles.
:tiphat: Thank you MF! Definitely sounds as though you know what we're talking about. Hopefully you will consider applying some of your knowledge to my real world needs?

I decarb in a quart jar in my oven. I know....not very accurate. Use a Magic Butter machine to move the THC into coco butter. Bake cookies for 10 min with the butter. Eat cookies and be happy.

Considering my novice clumsy attempts to make edibles ......which BTW work just FINE.....
Does it make any sense for ME to decarb my herb as soon as possible?
Or is the difference so minute that there is no sense in fixing something that is not broken (standard cure)?
Unless there is a major difference in potency....I would prefer my edibles not to have the flavor of Chlorophyll.
As for the sensitivity of my palate....just think of me as an Old Toker forced leave smoking/vaping behind during a pandemic killing old f*cks like me. Perhaps not the most sophisticated palate.

Thanks for your insight!

Greenheart

Veteran
Air curing can be done for years without degrading thc. The best smoke I ever experienced was an Afghani I was told had been cured for 7 years. One coaxial connector bowl had 3 of us ripped for hours and I smoke an ounce per week.

Watercuring will take 10-14 days. You will know it's done when it all starts to settle on the bottom. Day 5-7 is where you will start to question yourself for ever trying it. I changed my water every 12 hours.

I didn't even dry mine when I used it for butter. I took the wet sugar trim (2 cups) and put it straight into the crock pot with 1lb of butter.

If you use water cure to make smokable cannabis expect it to taste like burnt rope. All the flavor and impurities are leached out with the water. Dry it quickly. It will shrink a lot so your yield will look really small. It will also seem much more potent since you have more "bud" in your bowl do to the shrinkage.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Edit: I did the straining with pantyhose. It worked well enough. If I was to do it again I would invest in a proper micron bubblebag for hash making. Live and learn. If palatability is a problem you could even go straight water hash for your edibles. Get a countertop style clothes washer and let it do all the work.

Last edited:

Old Toker

..I didn't even dry mine when I used it for butter. I took the wet sugar trim (2 cups) and put it straight into the crock pot with 1lb of butter.
Thank you Greenheart for the advice and photos! Sure "looks" simple enough. I have to try a quart jar and see if I like the end result.

Did you decarb, or are you doing that in the crock pot with the butter? How long and what temp are you making your butter?

Thanks again!:tiphat:

Cuddles

Air curing can be done for years without degrading thc. The best smoke I ever experienced was an Afghani I was told had been cured for 7 years. One coaxial connector bowl had 3 of us ripped for hours and I smoke an ounce per week.

Watercuring will take 10-14 days. You will know it's done when it all starts to settle on the bottom. Day 5-7 is where you will start to question yourself for ever trying it. I changed my water every 12 hours.

I didn't even dry mine when I used it for butter. I took the wet sugar trim (2 cups) and put it straight into the crock pot with 1lb of butter.

If you use water cure to make smokable cannabis expect it to taste like burnt rope. All the flavor and impurities are leached out with the water. Dry it quickly. It will shrink a lot so your yield will look really small. It will also seem much more potent since you have more "bud" in your bowl do to the shrinkage.

View Image
View Image
View Image

Edit: I did the straining with pantyhose. It worked well enough. If I was to do it again I would invest in a proper micron bubblebag for hash making. Live and learn. If palatability is a problem you could even go straight water hash for your edibles. Get a countertop style clothes washer and let it do all the work.

Thank you so much Greenheart, I have never ever heard of `water curing ´ before. This is really interesting.

Maple_Flail

:tiphat: Thank you MF! Definitely sounds as though you know what we're talking about. Hopefully you will consider applying some of your knowledge to my real world needs?

I decarb in a quart jar in my oven. I know....not very accurate. Use a Magic Butter machine to move the THC into coco butter. Bake cookies for 10 min with the butter. Eat cookies and be happy.

Considering my novice clumsy attempts to make edibles ......which BTW work just FINE.....
Does it make any sense for ME to decarb my herb as soon as possible?
Or is the difference so minute that there is no sense in fixing something that is not broken (standard cure)?
Unless there is a major difference in potency....I would prefer my edibles not to have the flavor of Chlorophyll.
As for the sensitivity of my palate....just think of me as an Old Toker forced leave smoking/vaping behind during a pandemic killing old f*cks like me. Perhaps not the most sophisticated palate.

Thanks for your insight!

Well there is nothing inherently wrong with Chlorophyll, it IS good to have a little in your diet. It is just not terribly tasty to most out side those weirdo' that like it in gum.

Curing isn't the only way of removing Chlorophyll.

extracting to oil and then winterizing that oil will also remove alot of Chlorophyll

I would not use FRESH cannabis for most types of edibles. Dried, curing is great if it accomplishes something. (for example caryophyllene can be overwhelming in edibles, cured pot has less of that without significant effect on potency), but unless your dealing with a pepper or clove flavor in your cookies then it is not an issue.

if what you are doing is working fine for you, i do not see any reason to change it. If the taste is an issue and do not want to cure, Look at difference recipes.

Chocolate, Coconut, hazelnut, and banana are all excellent masking "agents"

Old Toker

..I would not use FRESH cannabis for most types of edibles. Dried, curing is great if it accomplishes something. (for example caryophyllene can be overwhelming in edibles, cured pot has less of that without significant effect on potency), but unless your dealing with a pepper or clove flavor in your cookies then it is not an issue..
Thank you sir!:tiphat: I think I'll try the water cure and compare it to my traditional cure. Supposedly no (little) taste with the water cure so if potency remains the same...might be a good compromise. Thanks again.