What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation in H20

Gry

I think you are on to something. It works when applied to dry sift. The pictures show intact [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]trichromes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Ringodoggie

Premium user
As for mixing water and oil in a crock pot when extracting, yeah, I'm sure we opened all the little trichs and probably threw out anything that was water soluble.

I imagine the heating process, 'melts' the trics and it all blends with the oil/butter. Except the hydrophilic stuff.

Strange that this has never been brought up before. All this new information about terpenes requires some thing to be re-thought.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I'm going to go straight into the Magical Butter Machine with fresh buds, coconut oil and lecithin and set it to 190F for 2 hours. I have been oven decarbing for years. Thanks for thinking.
:D

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I was just thinking something similar..... I just harvested and I want to make some edibles NOW !!! LOL

I was wondering if I could use fresh buds or if I need to wait for them to dry and cure first.

I did read once that it is OK as long as you leave it in the oven a little longer to allow for water evap... which kind of makes sense.

I will be decarbing via Sous vide so I won't be using an oven.

Kind of curious if anything will be different. I may allow a slightly longer time than normal just because it's still moist and fresh.

I guess the only way to really know id to try it... LOL

Don't forget the lecithin :)

buzzmobile

Veteran
I was wondering if I could use fresh buds or if I need to wait for them to dry and cure first.
I meant fresh dried buds, not green. I suspect fresh green buds may get tangled in the agitator.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if it's OK to use fresh (right off the vine)?

They have been drying for a few days but they are definitely not 'ready' yet.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to decarb an ounce and see how it comes out.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Done! LOL

I decarb'd an ounce of Red Dragon and a quarter of White Grapes.

After 90 minutes in decarb, I put 1/2 cup of coconut oil with a tablespoon of lecithin mixed in thoroughly, into the ounce of Red Dragon. That went back into the sous vide for another 6 hours or so.

I took 1 gram of the decarb'd White Grapes and I am holding it under my tongue. And, around the cheeks. I wonder if I can get a sublingual delivery this way.

Not real tasty but no worse than any canna edible. LOL I'll report back in about an hour.

Sure would be nice and easy of this worked. Decarb some buds and dip them like the kids do tobacco. We'll see.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if it's OK to use fresh (right off the vine)?

They have been drying for a few days but they are definitely not 'ready' yet.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to decarb an ounce and see how it comes out.

If you use fresh off the vine into the sous vide you will get fermented bud. Tangwena been doing it for a while now. Check out his thread Malawi cob curing.https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309172

'Boogieman'

Before I learned about decarb I used water and butter in a crock pot, it worked ok but I think dry decarb works better.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Sure seems clear by now that any decarb method that changes the terpene profile affects the outcome. For me it was a MAJOR difference.

Open oven roasting probably being the most offensive at loosing terps.

Perhaps oven decarb in a vacuum sealed oven bag????

I can't say enough good about using sous vide.

I am decarbing some right now for beer making and I am also extracting some. 1/2 ounce to 1/2 cup of coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of lecithin.

90 minutes at 200F to decarb and 4 to 6 hours at 185F to extract.

I am getting the most amazing results. The only thing I can figure is that it is because of the preservation of the terpene profile utilizing a vacuum sealed container.

I am looking for oven/hot water safe containers that I can vacuum seal. I am going through these vacuum bags pretty fast. LOL

DenverJim

Bag inflating with CO2

Bag inflating with CO2

I read enough threads to understand procedure. I put 72 gems in a vacuumed bag. Then formed a circle with the bag held together with paper lips put butter knives and wrenches in center to weight down. Placed in 6qt pan boiling h2o timer at 1.25 hrs to compensate for altitude added lid
After 45 min I noticed the lid was no longer on the pot. The bag was full of CO2 I assume. I have no idea if all decarbed. I will test.

DenverJim

Followup

Followup

I opened the bag because it appeared wet. No weight change but my scale isn’t that accurate. I also had a silicon wax container in the pot in a qt freezer bag with some 2nds of dry sift. It melted a bit. I put it in double boiler w/ lecithin and butter. I mixed it up then took a blob about quarter inch around put under tongue. More of an indica high. So maybe not decarbed enough. Seems promising if tinkered with.

igrowone

Veteran
I opened the bag because it appeared wet. No weight change but my scale isn’t that accurate. I also had a silicon wax container in the pot in a qt freezer bag with some 2nds of dry sift. It melted a bit. I put it in double boiler w/ lecithin and butter. I mixed it up then took a blob about quarter inch around put under tongue. More of an indica high. So maybe not decarbed enough. Seems promising if tinkered with.
indica high sounds spot on
strong body effect is also how it's often described

Nannymouse

If cookin bags are still lined with aluminum, "I" wouldn't do it. As one that has been multiply metal poisoned(Really high aluminum readings, especially) we avoid aluminum.

Also, for less 'couchlock' and more 'up', would you decarb for less time?

DenverJim

read and tried the sealed bag

read and tried the sealed bag

:party::party::party::party:

I now know how to use water to decarb and save all the Terps.

This guy actually decarboxylates using water and cannabis sealed in vaccum bags.

The reason he does this is to save the Terps which normally escape when decarbing is done in a regular oven.

He has also a video. :)

Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy

I tried this last year. This guy didn't mention the fact that the bag fills with CO2 and blows up and floats. I put weights on it i also became concerned about the pressure causing the bag to explode.
so i got a canning jar and filled it half full with broken up buds. i didn't let the water boil. The whole purpose was an attempt to keep the terps. i only heated it for an hour though.
The terpines do dissolve in H2O. I'm not sure about the water penetrating the trichomes though.
The company Ardent claims they can decarb bud at 100 F by uniformly heating it in a small bowl that looks like a coffee grinder. Customers give great reviews.
Lately I've been making tincture from trichomes. i use 50 ml amber bottles with a dropper. dissolve the trics in grain in a 4 oz canning jar. then let the solution set on top of frige for ~ 30 days with the lid partially open to let some of the grain evaporate. Ir to much evaporates the resin starts forming clumps on the jar. if diluted the solution turns milky white. my dropper gives .5 ml naturally I take 1ml or more. using finger hash is a bad idea. the stuff has a very nasty taste. Lately I've been using 5-10 grams per batch. 1 or 2 didn't do much.
A work in progress. i take this shit full strength because i want it to absorb through the inside of my mouth. i looked up different methods of drug administration. It turns out that most drugs will absorb through all the surfaces on the inside of your body. They specifically mentioned amphetamine sulfate ( its effectiveness depends on the acidity of your stomach. ( one company makes one with sugar in it that the kid puts in the side of his mouth till it dissolves. they also use CO2 somehow to increase effectiveness in skin patches. Libraries are useless anymore unless you have access to a good college one.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Latest literature I have seen shows a full decarb at 100*C for 4 hours. Thus, I just extract in butter over water that long, or longer. The water is way nasty, well beyond bath water. I vape the terps off before I make butter, but a way to get them off the flower and saved as a liquid, would be nice. They probably oxidize and change anyways.

Tincandtoke

Immersion circulator, you g to try a decarb with 3.5 grams and a couple of some acting spoons sealed in a vacuum bag

One question, does a water cure remove terpenes?

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_000140.jpg
    IMG_20201224_000140.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Latest posts