What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone doing cold alcohol extraction to make tincture

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
switcher,, you know that ` real ´ coconut oil doesn´t really smell or taste of coconut oil. I used to get mine from an asian supermarket and it´s scentless as well as flavourless. The stuff I get from other shops however is different . total coconut :) The two types are processed in a different way I guess.
And the coco oil also contains MCTs as far as I know.

If your coconut oil solidifies at room temperature, it isn't MCT oil. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
yes, I know, I was talking about cocnut oil not real MCT oil, those are two different oils. What I was saying is that coconut oil contains MCTs
coco oil is always solid when cool.

yes I know :) MCT Oil is purified coconut oil. I provided the link.

Cuddles

So, does anybody else do cold alcohol extraction and what are you doing with that extraction?

in the past, I´ve reduced it to honey oil. But I´m thinking of using the tincture as it is. So far I´ve never done anything else with it .

Tincandtoke

in the past, I´ve reduced it to honey oil. But I´m thinking of using the tincture as it is. So far I´ve never done anything else with it .

Thanks for the reply cuddles and thanks to those who try to be positive
I think I'm going to pull the plug on this in general
I just got a response on another site that was just someone being miserable
This project was done for someone who could no longer use oil as a carrier and looked to sugar as a carrier
In order to find the most efficient carrier every sugar base was explored, the simple syrup was more to see if you could do it
I find the product very useful, more so than honey or agave
People are horrible!

Cuddles

Thanks for the reply cuddles and thanks to those who try to be positive
I think I'm going to pull the plug on this in general
I just got a response on another site that was just someone being miserable
This project was done for someone who could no longer use oil as a carrier and looked to sugar as a carrier
In order to find the most efficient carrier every sugar base was explored, the simple syrup was more to see if you could do it
I find the product very useful, more so than honey or agave
People are horrible!

interesting, what´s the simple syrup you used though? And how do you combine it with alcohol tincture. The only sugar based tincture I recall trying was Maca tincture and it tasted very nice too :)
How does making a sugar tincture actually work, can you explain the process to those of us who´ve never done it, that would be great.
Also, what condition does the person you´re doing it for have, I mean why can´t they tolerate the oil base and which oil was it? This is interesting to know for the sake of some general knowledge on the subject of canna concentrates and uses.

Tincandtoke

interesting, what´s the simple syrup you used though? And how do you combine it with alcohol tincture. The only sugar based tincture I recall trying was Maca tincture and it tasted very nice too :)
How does making a sugar tincture actually work, can you explain the process to those of us who´ve never done it, that would be great.
Also, what condition does the person you´re doing it for have, I mean why can´t they tolerate the oil base and which oil was it? This is interesting to know for the sake of some general knowledge on the subject of canna concentrates and uses.

Actually 2 cases
The person who first explored the syrup had stage 3 liver disease and could not process oil through the liver
My brother in law had throat cancer so combusting and vaping were not an option
When the project started I was suppose to run the experiment in a secondary role, when the time came the other person bailed
The "tincture" is actually an extraction
It is a tincture, you just don't want to use it sub lingual on a daily basis due to the high proof alcohol
You infuse the syrup by reducing the tincture into it

What is frustrating is that I'm doing this to make every option available to people who are ill
I infused stevia so a sugar substitute could be offered, not very appealing but it can be done
Folks post in the threads displaying obvious knowledge but it is more important to be mean and tear someone down then to be kind and lend a hand
I have no background in any of this
When I started I was using several tablespoons of coconut oil that I drank straight and tried not to vomit, made in the magical butter machine
I now can use a half tablespoon of syrup mixed with commercial chocolate syrup for infused chocolate milk that has little to no cannabis taste
The syrup, honey, agave and vegetable glycerine have limitations

https://ussolid.com/2000-w-2-in-1-u...MIraba08aJ8QIVieFRCh3CaQmnEAQYBCABEgL8ZfD_BwE

I'm trying to scale down processes that are done with lab equipment
Not everyone wants one of the above taking up counter space

To the trolls
You drive people away from threads and your ridicule keeps folks from posting or asking questions
People who may be seriously ill and looking for relief, there has to be better places to spread your toxicity

Again, people are horrible!
Some pics of the reduction process

​​

Attachments

• photo2050433.jpg
    photo2050433.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 70
  • photo2050434.jpg
    photo2050434.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 72
  • photo2050435.jpg
    photo2050435.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 73

Cuddles

Right, you make the alc, tincture and dilute it with whatever other substance. That actually doesn´t sound as complicated as I first assumed.
I tried taking a spoon full coco oil once and I didn´t like it either. I´m fine with emu oil however.

Tincandtoke

I mix raw tincture with oat milk for a tasty smooth beverage. Decarb, grind, quick soak, filter, use. The leftover material goes in the cook pot for edibles. The alcohol is minimal to begin with and the oat milk effectively hides it. If you evap the alcohol, the oils become harder to mix with other liquids, but sugar seems ideal. Maple syrup is my favorite. Going to have to try some.

Thanks for the reply
Thats sounds like the "funkiest" white Russian
Appreciate any recipe and folks who accidentally hit the link here will get some useful info

My ability to ingest edibles relies on eliminating as much of the cannabis taste as possible
I make edibles for myself and my sister (rheumatoid arthritis)
Both of us find it hard to eat infused treats if the cannabis taste is strong
Pain can wipe out your appetite and at peak times make it almost impossible to ingest anything, even the thought of eating can turn your stomach

Your method sounds like a more rounded extraction that has a lot of the extras that folks like
Wish I could tolerate the taste because it would probably be a healthier choice
Again thanks for the reply
I really appreciate it and keep working on different carriers and recipes

G

I am looking for ideas on this as well. gummies seem to be interesting, easy to dose. never tried making them. good real dark chocolate can be mixed with infused coconut oil when melted and it makes a pourable chocolate shell for frozen anything, bananas with peanut butter, etc

Tincandtoke

I am looking for ideas on this as well. gummies seem to be interesting, easy to dose. never tried making them. good real dark chocolate can be mixed with infused coconut oil when melted and it makes a pourable chocolate shell for frozen anything, bananas with peanut butter, etc

There are lots of recipes for gummies
Agar agar, xanthan and several others do the job well

How do you make your edibles?
I make an alcohol is extraction that I reduce into coconut oil and simple syrup ( honey and agave are the preferred sugar carrier)

Currently working on refining my filtering process for the tincture
Some pics of the filtering and reduction orocesses

Attachments

• photo2050434.jpg
    photo2050434.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 70
  • photo2052737.jpg
    photo2052737.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 70
  • photo2052738.jpg
    photo2052738.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
G

you could do two batches, one batch only in the alchohol for 10 minutes, shake and pour off.then let the material soak in a different bit of alc. for the normal time. this first bit will be way less green tasting.
when i make coconut oil i just boil the herb with water and coco oil so the oil doesnt burn and so the water takes all clorophyll and dust away from the oil. then cool in a freezer, scrape the oil cake bottom for green bits and eat that first, cleaning the rest. big diff in taste.

Tincandtoke

It is still going to produce an earthy cannabis tasting edible
I think the cold alcohol extraction and carbon/celite filtering will give me the best results
At some point I will add enough carbon to get a clear tincture
The above method allows my sister to consume cannabis without vaping or having to deal with the cannabis taste
​​​​

Tincandtoke

For some folks the cannabis taste, no matter how strong, does not bother them and they actually like it and it lets them know the edible was infused

For folks like me even the hint of the cannabis taste can turn my stomach
The quick cold wash does a great job at reducing a lot of the taste and was my go to method before I discovered the carbon/celite scrub for the tincture
If you can tolerate the taste then the scrub may seem like overkill
But if you cannot stand the taste then this can open up edibles to you

Tincandtoke

There is a lot of debate about the "taste"
Some folks describe it as chlorophyll taste but detractors say chlorophyll has no taste, others say it is an earthy almost mint like taste (the chlorophyll)
As usual you get opposing viewpoints that deteriorate into a useless exchange
The taste is there, why is not important at this point
What can we do to mitigate the taste?
I have done a water cure, cold alcohol extraction, multi stage filtering and got results that allow me to eat and drink my edibles with little to no detectable cannabis taste
Basically looking to hook up with other extraction method members to exchange ideas
My sister has crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis and the edibles help her a lot for pain management and appetite

Latest posts

Latest posts