What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone doing cold alcohol extraction to make tincture

Tincandtoke

As the title states
Doing all kinds of recipes
Wondering what/if anyone else is doing with tincture

Attachments

• photo2049896.jpg
    photo2049896.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 78
  • photo2049904.jpg
    photo2049904.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 70

Cuddles

I learned to make it this way: put cured weed and alcohol in the freezer. Later add the two together and let it sit.
Now, the longer you leave it the stronger it will, up until a certain point of course. And if you wanna make oil just strain it, boil off the alcohol and presto you got some nice honey oil.

Tincandtoke

I do Psychedelic Sam's cold extraction method
Decarb at 240f (115c) for 40 minutes in the oven
I use an Ardent Nova to decarb now

Decarbed cannabis and Everclear or other high proof spirit (190 proof or better) into the freezer for 24 hours
Remove and combine the cannabis and alcohol and shake for 5 minutes
Return to freezer for 2 hours
Remove, shake for another 5 minutes then filter
Return cannabis to receptacle and add fresh cold alcohol and shake for another 5 minutes and immediately filter
Done
The second wash will increase the amount of available cannabinoids in the tincture
You can now reduce the tincture through various methods to desired potency

I reduce them all the way down into the above pictured oil and syrup
Pretty much infuse any recipe with cannabis and no plant material or overwhelming cannabis taste
For summer I make a lot of sorbet

Attachments

• photo2050028.jpg
    photo2050028.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 86

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... a tincture is normally not used in cooking. Furthermore, decarbing before making your tincture why? That smell you smell, is all good juju, that is floating around your kitchen vice your tincture.

Tincandtoke

I reduce the tincture into oil and simple syrup and use these in my recipes
You decarb first to make the tincture psychoactive

Not sure I understand your post
There are numerous ways to make tincture and edibles
I use the above method that I posted then filter the tincture through a Buchner funnel using carbon and celite to filter out the chlorophyll and waxes
The cannabis taste makes it hard for me to consume edibles, so I scrub out as much of the taste as I can
Jusr a matter of personal preference

Tincandtoke

?????
I understand what tincture is and that I am using the term loosely
The tincture I make can be used sublingual but it will chemically burn you

Sorry I posted here
If a mod could just delete the thread

Cuddles

?????

Sorry I posted here

Not sure what you mean by `chemical burn´?

G

naw man all good !!!
switcher idk whats up but all good if he makes something else out of his tincture or uses it in a way other than under his tounge like you said.... sorbet seems like a wayyyyy better way.. :)
and it is definitely a product of cold alchohol extraction, complete with pictures of the process!!!

I have always wanted to make something better than simply macerating the bud in alchohol for a month and having a bitter, green liquid.
This is cool stuff please keep posting.

Tincandtoke

190 proof alcohol will burn the mucous membranes in your mouth
That is what I use to make my "extraction"
The chemical burn occurs when the high proof alcohol comes in contact with the inside of your mouth

Cuddles

I´m not sure how much that is but you can always dilute it after all. I´m gonna buy grain alcohol which is about 90 % vol.

Cuddles

naw man all good !!!
switcher idk whats up but all good if he makes something else out of his tincture or uses it in a way other than under his tounge like you said.... sorbet seems like a wayyyyy better way.. :)
and it is definitely a product of cold alchohol extraction, complete with pictures of the process!!!

I have always wanted to make something better than simply macerating the bud in alchohol for a month and having a bitter, green liquid.

you can rinse the plant material to get rid of the chlorophyll. There´s a great thread about this , I think it´s in the canna concentrates forum section

Cuddles

I just checked. Everclear, which most people tend to use is 190 proof. I guess it´s the same as the stuff I´m getting when the time comes.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
?????

Sorry I posted here

What I said/asked was...

"...a tincture is normally not used in cooking. Furthermore, decarbing before making your tincture why? That smell you smell, is all good juju, that is floating around your kitchen vice your tincture. No need for decarboxilation for making tinctures, you will get those goodies and, if you are getting a chemical burn, you screwed up some where, sorry.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
naw man all good !!!

I agree! You have also missed the point from my original reply. See above :tiphat:

Tincandtoke

I'm very familiar with water curing and have done it multiple times
Once I went with the carbon and celite to filter the "extraction" the water cure became unnecessary unless you wanted to remove as much of the cannabis taste as possible
​​​​​

Before you folks get your knives out to go to work please take into consideration that some us are just trying to share information and get advice
I'm not going to step on any toes and I will try to get out as quickly as possible

Territorial behavoir has become so toxic
High school drama on a global scale, thanks internet

I use cannabis for pain management
No pain killers of any kind
I'm working on sugar based carriers because infused coconut oil knocks me on my ass for up to 12 hours
Not something for daily consumption, almost a narcotic effect

Wanted to find out what people are doing with their extractions and tincture and exchange ideas and recipes
Thought I would go more than a few hours before the inevitable backhand
If there is any interest pm or dm me so I'm not stepping on toes

​​

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm very familiar with water curing and have done it multiple times
Once I went with the carbon and celite to filter the "extraction" the water cure became unnecessary unless you wanted to remove as much of the cannabis taste as possible
​​​​​

Before you folks get your knives out to go to work please take into consideration that some us are just trying to share information and get advice
I'm not going to step on any toes and I will try to get out as quickly as possible

Territorial behavoir has become so toxic
High school drama on a global scale, thanks internet

I use cannabis for pain management
No pain killers of any kind
I'm working on sugar based carriers because infused coconut oil knocks me on my ass for up to 12 hours
Not something for daily consumption, almost a narcotic effect

Wanted to find out what people are doing with their extractions and tincture and exchange ideas and recipes
Thought I would go more than a few hours before the inevitable backhand
If there is any interest pm or dm me so I'm not stepping on toes

​​

I would like to PM you on the subject. In case you didn't recognize my avatar, I am a med patient as well. I make my own pills etc... Once you are a full fledged mbr, PM me your email addy. I will send you the calculator I created for dosing. If coconut oil knocks you on your ass for 12 hrs, you need to dilute them e.g use more oil. I have pills of varying potency for varying circumstances from 15 to 65mg.

BTW MCT oil better that coconut oil as it doesn't taste like coconut oil, and medium chain triglycerides provides a pathway from your gut to the blood brain barrier via the liver, without the use of Lecithin.

Tincandtoke

I would like to PM you on the subject. In case you didn't recognize my avatar, I am a med patient as well. I make my own pills etc... Once you are a full fledged mbr, PM me your email addy. I will send you the calculator I created for dosing. If coconut oil knocks you on your ass for 12 hrs, you need to dilute them e.g use more oil. I have pills of varying potency for varying circumstances from 15 to 65mg.

BTW MCT oil better that coconut oil as it doesn't taste like coconut oil, and medium chain triglycerides provides a pathway from your gut to the blood brain barrier via the liver, without the use of Lecithin.

Ok, that will probably be a while, if ever
Is there some sort of boot camp or fast track
Maybe I reach in my pocket and a certain amount of money falls out, I don't notice, next day I'm a full fledged member
Disclaimer: "certain amount of money"cannot exceed $18 US

​​​​most of what I do is directed at home growers and folks who only have access to flower for whatever reason
both of them

The cannabis taste of edibles was too much for me so I found a way to minimize or eliminate the taste
Just wanted to exchange ideas with the tincture crowd
​​​​​​

Cuddles

switcher,, you know that ` real ´ coconut oil doesn´t really smell or taste of coconut oil. I used to get mine from an asian supermarket and it´s scentless as well as flavourless. The stuff I get from other shops however is different . total coconut :) The two types are processed in a different way I guess.
And the coco oil also contains MCTs as far as I know.