What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cooking oil chemistry *moderately image heavy*

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
No, not really, but there is some use of lab equipment. I've had quite a few people ask me about cooking oil and when I try to explain how I make mine, I get blank stares. So now I'm making up a big thread so I get even more blank stares!

Cannabis Cooking Oil for People with Too Much Time On Their Hands

First we'll need a nice big separatory funnell

picture.php

Then we need an oil press. Now, I don't grow olives, so I don't have access to a press. So we'll be using a heavy duty steel potato ricer.

picture.php

Next we're going to get a funnel that fits in the top of the other funnel

picture.php

Finally you'll need something to filter with. I used to use cheesecloth but it tended to soak up the oil and retain it and it would randomly spit out too much sediment which made washing longer. Now I just use a spare bit of 110 mesh nylon screening.

picture.php

We're missing something. . .Oh yeah, the raw ingredients. Here's a nice pot of trim, stems, vaped remains, basically all the trash from around the house that wasn't turned into hash. It's been cooking down for several hours. I tend to wait till everything is nice & mushy. I stir regularly while it cooks.

picture.php

The basic idea here is we're going to first take our cannabis/oil/water mixture and press it through the ricer. That will remove the vast majority of suspended cannabis and will also help extract every last bit of oil. In some cases my end result has a decent amount of plant oils of a marked different weight/color than the cooking oil I used, so it's fairly obvious I'm actually stripping out plant oils/etc. When you put in a cup of oil and get a cup and an eighth back, you're doing something right.

picture.php

Your end result should be a container full of oil/water and a few compressed pucks of compostable love.

picture.php

So now we have a container full of water & oil and crap. We need to clean this so we can remove most of the "off" taste, especially if you're going to be using this to cook things where that taste may ruin the dish (some dishes are enhanced by that green earthy flavor however, don't always assume you should clean or have to clean that oil). To clean it we're going to pour it past a double layer of the mesh into the separatory funnel. Here's how that will look.

picture.php

Here's what the filter caught.

picture.php

Now, we have a funnel that lets oil float to the top while water & heavier solids float to the bottom where the stopcock lets you drain them off. As you can see here, denser fractions are settling out of the oil to the bottom.

picture.php

Now, once you've poured off the nasties, you can cook with the oil as is, or you can fill up the funnel with clean water & agitate. Each time you do this some of the water soluble contaminants in the oil will come out with the wash water. Here's an idea of what the wash looks like in four consecutive washes. As you can see, by the 3rd wash it looks essentially clean but it will have a faint smell and taste. I generally stop at 4 washes because the faint taste that remains won't have any effect on the dishes I tend to prepare.

This also works great on butter, but you have to make sure to wash with very hot water in that case to keep it flowing.

picture.php

So that's how I make oil. Questions?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
How long do you cook the oil, and at what temp? Do you heat your herb to convert the thc before extraction? Have you found the oil high takes longer to come on than other edibles? Are you still stoned the next day from it? Thanks,
H

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Hiya Hap, thanks Hydro.

To answer your question Hap, I cook the oil at medium-low heat (gas range) with water mixed in. This limits the temps the oil reaches to around 90-105c, enough to speed the solvent effect of the oil but not enough to do a lot chemically to the oil (cracking it). I am honestly not sure what effect this has on decarboxylation. The oil seems to work about the same as butter. Depending on the strength of material put in, it can definitely be consumed easily in quantities that are pretty much day destroying. I do not recommend that personally.

Anytime you heat a fat however you accelerate it along the road of rancidity. You should always refrigerate any cooked oils you wish to store long term.

mellomel

BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!
ICMag Donor
That was amazing... I have to much time on my hands. You have inspired me.
How much are the separatory funnels? And where can you find them. (online or store)?
Love how clear the oil is by the 4th rinse... :)

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
That's not oil, that's the water that it was washed with. Generally your end product will be translucent but not transparent. You can let it settle for a looong time or centrifuge it to clear it completely.

Separatory funnels in 1L sizes run between $35-100 depending on how fancy you get. I'd recommend getting one with a teflon stopcock. I just happened to have a spare one sticking around.

HDPE is cheaper than glass and a lot friendlier to work with. I have found separatory funnels in HDPE with screw caps which would be idea for agitation the solution.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's not oil, that's the water that it was washed with. Generally your end product will be translucent but not transparent. You can let it settle for a looong time or centrifuge it to clear it completely.

Separatory funnels in 1L sizes run between $35-100 depending on how fancy you get. I'd recommend getting one with a teflon stopcock. I just happened to have a spare one sticking around.

HDPE is cheaper than glass and a lot friendlier to work with. I have found separatory funnels in HDPE with screw caps which would be idea for agitation the solution.

Nice job and a good article bro! Thanks for sharing!

Here is an improvised method to make a sepratory funnel in a bind.

You just trim off and pinch the bottom to control the flow.

GW

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You should convert the thc first, otherwise you are leaving half your money on the table. I see you have a reason to add water, but I am not gonna do that based on two times that I have made it without water and no worries.

On my olive oil, it is taking up to three hours getting off, and continues to climb all night. And I have been stoned for up to 8 hours the next day. What I do not know is if this is because I am old and digestion is slow, or if there is another reason.

You can put garlic cloves in your oil too, very tasty.
H

edit - you can make a ghetto sep funnel with a sports drink cap on a bottle.

Last edited:

mellomel

ICMag Donor
Thanks Geopolitical. I will have to invest in one. And attempt your recipe.
Sorry about the oil/water confusion. I am very new at cooking with cannabis. I recently was diagnosed with 'trigerminal neuralgia' which prescribed medication has little to no effect. So I have been kind of leaning towards this method to see if it will help more than just smoking.

And cheers for the improvised versions. I like the look of the fancy glass sep funnel.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I should point out the trim/etc I use is completely dried, which accomplishes most of the same decarboxylation that heating would without the destructive qualities that higher heats would bring to the table. I wouldn't recommend using fresh trim with this method. Haps is absolutely right, the temps involved here even with cooking with it afterwards are not likely to completely change all your love into potent love.

I dig the plastic bag trick.

Oh I suffer from pretty decent nerve damage and spasms myself mello. What's worked for me is regular low level inputs. Getting really trashed is completely okay as far as I'm concerned (oh my GOD! someone taking something that made them feel good?) but as far as treating my pain/spasm keeping a relatively low dose circulating at all times seems to work best. I tend to make several large batches of oil (total of a gallon or so) figure out in the first batch of brownies or other edibles how potent it is, then figure out what a good daily dose is for my needs. Then I make several batches of brownies or spice cake and quick freeze the doses for the next week or two in the freezer. I enjoy the brownies reheated with some vanilla bean ice cream on top.

Try a week or two of a constant very low level buzz and see how that works out for your pain/etc. The really nice thing about edibles is you can always smoke on TOP of them if they're not doing the job by themselves.

mellomel

ICMag Donor
Thank you so much for that. I will keep it all in mind. I used to love brownies and cookies but am starting to find them rather hard to get thru just one.

And it is so good to not have to explain what TN is to someone. Thanks for understanding :) Iunderstand what you are saying about keeping a low dose circulating constantly. I usually chop up enough to last the whole day and just have 1-2 hits every 1hr instead of smoking a whole session in 1hr and getting really trashed(but occasionally that is a nice thing too, lol). Recently bought a vapourizer for night caps. That gets me pain free enough to fall asleep. But there is something about eadibles to me that nothing else can match up to...And your right about being able to top up if you want to feel it more. I find a smoke ontop of the eadibles helps kick it in to-could be all in the head. But it feels like it brings it on faster, lol.
Thank you for all you advice... I have subscribed to this thread and look forward to learning more. I'll start looking on the internet for a sep funnel and let ya know if I go through with it. I have to wait 6-8 weeks for trim and popcorn bud befor I can try it.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
Thanks so much for this post! I've been wanting to make oil myself and haven't been able to figure out how to seperate the water. Beautiful presentation!

wintermute

Decarb process for oils

Decarb process for oils

... I cook the oil at medium-low heat (gas range) with water mixed in. This limits the temps the oil reaches to around 90-105c, enough to speed the solvent effect of the oil but not enough to do a lot chemically to the oil (cracking it). I am honestly not sure what effect this has on decarboxylation. ...
Anytime you heat a fat however you accelerate it along the road of rancidity. You should always refrigerate any cooked oils you wish to store long term.

This is one of the reasons I use coconut oil. It can handle the temps. After an extraction like you describe (with or without additional washes) I like to place the coconut oil in the oven at 245 F for 1 hour. This performs the thermal decarb. and sterilization and makes a noticable difference for fresh trim / less cured stock.

If you are using well cured bud in your mixture, curing has probably done most of the decarb. and no additional heating is required.

Coconut oil really does make great edibles and can be stored at room temp for months without worry. It is also healthy for you, and helps fight off some viruses. Enjoy!

See also decarb. rates at temperature.

wintermute

Convenient, Delicious Edibles

Convenient, Delicious Edibles

.. I used to love brownies and cookies but am starting to find them rather hard to get thru just one.

.. But there is something about eadibles to me that nothing else can match up to...And your right about being able to top up if you want to feel it more. I find a smoke ontop of the eadibles helps kick it in to-could be all in the head.

I had the same situation. Edibles worked the best but were a hassle. Did I make it strong enough? Do I really want to eat a brownie today, tomorrow, all next week? Will the foodstuffs keep for long enough?

Now I make a batch of STRONG canna coconut oil and I'm set for weeks. I use aprox. 2-3 ounces of good smoke per cup / 8oz of oil.

A few teaspoons on toast and I'm toast! If the oil gets cold and solidifies 30 seconds in the microwave turns it liquid again. Also easy to use on flat bread, in snacks, whatever.

My wife takes the oil and cools it in aluminum foil shaped into a thin through. Then she cuts off little pill sized portions and she is good! Doesn't need it as strong as I like it and a gram or two of the stuff is fine for her pill doses :)

Lots of other ways to consume it you will discover for yourself if you try.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Coconut fats would process through this sort of setup just a bit higher than butter would if I remember my melting points off the top of my head. You'd have to do your washes using HOT water each time to keep things flowing.

wintermute

Coconut fats would process through this sort of setup just a bit higher than butter would if I remember my melting points off the top of my head. You'd have to do your washes using HOT water each time to keep things flowing.

Yes. The melting point is moderate, just above room temp. (76 deg. F / 24 deg. C) so hot tap works great.

Cold or ice water will gel it up quick though, which is handy if you are trying to accelerate the process while making pills or solidifying for storage afterwards.

mocs0

now we have a container full of water & oil and crap. We need to clean this so we can remove most of the "off" taste, especially if you're going to be using this to cook things where that taste may ruin the dish (some dishes are enhanced by that green earthy flavor however, don't always assume you should clean or have to clean that oil). Questions?

Do you use water curing sometimes to get rid of the taste? What oil do you usually use? Do you think this method is easier or more efficient than making and dissolving hash in oil? What if you tied up the plant matter in some mesh screen before putting it in the oil, would that make things easier on you?