What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you live in a Legal Cannabis State and are unhappy post here!

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's been legal to grow 24 plants and possess 1/4 dried bud in your home for almost 40 years now in Alaska. Here's what I've seen here in those 40 years: Almost everyone that smokes has NO interest in growing their own. Certainly less than 1% of tokers. Of the people that are interested in growing 99% of them have no interest in staying below the 24 plant count so they can $upply the 99% of tokers who refuse to grow. So even though you can legally grow 24 and under and possess 1/4lb in your home the prisons and probation offices are full of MJ offenders and it STILL feels like a MJ police state. A few years back this state also went medical MJ. So now with the card you can grow 6 plants and possess one oz. WTF? It's makes NO damn sense to most people. Now in November the people will vote on another way to make it legal and sold in stores like alcohol. The grow limit for the people under this new law if passed- 6 plants and 1 oz. WTF? The right of the Alaska people to grow and possess MJ within the privacy of their home is protected in the Alaska Constitution, they set the limits at 24 plants and 1 qp. ALL attempts to rewrite the constitution have been beat down. So the more legal it gets and the more legal they want to get it the less we can grow and possess. Sumbitches:biggrin:

That's because the rules are internally inconsistent, allowing exploitation all the way around. 24 plants with a 4 oz possession limit is ridiculous. Getting a pound from 6 plants isn't particularly difficult. If you grow at all, you're probably guilty of a felony. Better to buy it by the QP, have it delivered.

Other than that absurdity, pot is highly illegal in Alaska.

http://norml.org/laws/item/alaska-penalties

Your reading of the initiative is incorrect. Growers would have the right to hold whatever they produce, as in CO-

http://regulatemarijuanainalaska.org/about/#summary

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That's because the rules are internally inconsistent, allowing exploitation all the way around. 24 plants with a 4 oz possession limit is ridiculous. Getting a pound from 6 plants isn't particularly difficult. If you grow at all, you're probably guilty of a felony. Better to buy it by the QP, have it delivered.

Your reading of the initiative is incorrect. Growers would have the right to hold whatever they produce, as in CO-

shoot, just keep the very biggest buds & give the rest away. I think I could figure out how to stay under the limit on dried weed...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I live in a recreational state although I have a MMJ card. It is great to be growing 6 plants in the back yard without worries about looking over my shoulder for trouble. Six plants is not enough for breeding purposes though. I have in mind a couple crosses to make. I am still struggling with the paper bag/pollen way of breeding.

Six plants can be used for breeding, get creative!
First of all a single plant can have 10 different varieties grafted on it.
X4 plants that is enough to breed and keep a plant or two in veg to keep all the clones alive. You can also make seeds with STS to avoid male or just graft male branches on to the same plants as all the female grafts, just watch and control the male flowering, not very hard.
Where there is a will there is a way.....
I would put a single male graft on with ten different female grafts and use that male to hit all those females. Graft the male higher then the female grafts. You could do four of those with the same or different males. Be sure the male is not way earlier or later then the female grafts on the same plant. Also you do not want the rootstock to be an early variety grafted with late varieties, it is better the other way around.
Easy Peasy,
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

What would happen if the 24 1 kilo plants were dry sifted or even water sifted as soon as could be and you give a way most and keep 100 grams for your self?, or bury 100 gram stashes all over off property and dig them up one at a time.
It can't be hard to beat the system, they do not understand Cannabis, you do.....
-SamS

Jhhnn

Veteran
shoot, just keep the very biggest buds & give the rest away. I think I could figure out how to stay under the limit on dried weed...

It's still a game, and a rather dangerous one. It's all Catch 22.

Possession outside the home is illegal & distribution of more than 1 oz is a felony, whether you sell it or give it away. Under an oz can get you a year in jail & a $10K fine. Maybe progressive penalties for repeat offenders.

Dunno how their MMJ system works at all.

With CO style legalization, there is no Catch 22. Yeh, there are rules, pretty clear & straightforward, easy to follow while being able to share & enjoy cannabis. Break 'em if you want, in which case the police state still applies.

Michigan pot laws r like a game of chess. (I grow out doors) the state will let u grow 12 plants (check) heaven help ya, if the weather gets bad, n u have to harvest all, or even 1 plants at a time because if u have over 2 1/2 oz. of drying weed, it's (check mate). go to jail. It's a big pot TRAP

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What would happen if the 24 1 kilo plants were dry sifted or even water sifted as soon as could be and you give a way most and keep 100 grams for your self?, or bury 100 gram stashes all over off property and dig them up one at a time.
It can't be hard to beat the system, they do not understand Cannabis, you do.....
-SamS

The last thing you want to do in Alaska is mess around making hash or concentrates with your bud and possessing more than 3g. Anything over 3 grams and they go after you exactly like if you had heroin.

Wu-tang

I wonder what kind of buds gw pharmaceuticals produces. I want to be a weed spy and find out. What if it's like 60% thc?

I heard sam had a hand in either providing the seeds or helped created the strain I can't really remember tbh
(sorry sam if I'm wrong but my memory is saying you had something to do with it again I could be totally wrong)

Anyway I'm pretty sure I heard gw saying his weed was a 1/1 thc/cbd strain

I could be totally wrong

Jhhnn

Veteran
No my reading of it isn't incorrect. It's 6 plants/ 1oz under the new initiative. Same limit as the MMJ laws. Read it again.

This is the part I referenced-

Makes possession of up to one ounce of marijuana and up to six plants (three flowering) legal for adults 21 years of age or older. It also allows adults to possess the marijuana produced by the plants on the premises where the plants are grown. - See more at: http://regulatemarijuanainalaska.org/about/#summary

There's no limit on in home possession of whatever you grow from you allotment of plants, just like CO. The walking around possession limit is 1 oz, as you say.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This is the part I referenced-

There's no limit on in home possession of whatever you grow from you allotment of plants, just like CO. The walking around possession limit is 1 oz, as you say.

And in Alaska are there limits on making hash out of the plants you legally grew and kept at home, if you keep the hash at home?
-SamS

Jhhnn

Veteran
And in Alaska are there limits on making hash out of the plants you legally grew and kept at home, if you keep the hash at home?
-SamS

What I know about current Alaska law mostly comes from here-

This is the site where you can access the current ballot initiative-

I haven't really studied it, but if it's like A64 wrt concentrates, you can make your own & keep them at home, carry up to an ounce in public. The caveat here is that you had to grow the plants or carry home the cannabis 1oz at a time. That last part may be a little grey, subject to interpretation by ball breakers, not sure.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just took a look at their medical statutes, and while I'm not a lawyer, it looks to me like they classify concentrates differently than they do marijuana, and they don't really specify it. The statutes clearly state the word marijuana numerous times as opposed to any references to hashish or hashish oil. And in the non-medical statutes it absolutely classifies hashish and oil separately from marijuana. So it looks like the only way to answer the question would be to know what the State of Alaska's technical definition of "marijuana" is.

monsoon

If you live in a Legal Cannabis State, and are unhappy please post here!

If your state has voted to legalize cannabis please tell us the about the problems you are currently facing.

How could thing have been done better?
Thanks
Shag

I'm certainly not "unhappy"

Hindsight is always 20/20. There is always room for improvement.

Most folks who take advantage of the right to grow here (and who follow the laws, even loosely) do so without any problems.

"Better" is a subjective/individual opinion. With the right to grow and GIFT weed here without penalty, I personally think it would have been "better" to start with the right to grow/possess at home, encourage gifting, and actually increase the penalties for SALES across the board and see where that went rather than to instantly go from "illegal" to "now at your corner dispensary/hockster's store for $400 an oz and TAXED HEAVILY by your friends at the State".

But it is what it is. I really don't give a shit what the clowns in the retail of all of this do. I'm not buying and will never buy their product. End of story.:laughing:

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm certainly not "unhappy"

Hindsight is always 20/20. There is always room for improvement.

Most folks who take advantage of the right to grow here (and who follow the laws, even loosely) do so without any problems.

"Better" is a subjective/individual opinion. With the right to grow and GIFT weed here without penalty, I personally think it would have been "better" to start with the right to grow/possess at home, encourage gifting, and actually increase the penalties for SALES across the board and see where that went rather than to instantly go from "illegal" to "now at your corner dispensary/hockster's store for $400 an oz and TAXED HEAVILY by your friends at the State".

But it is what it is. I really don't give a shit what the clowns in the retail of all of this do. I'm not buying and will never buy their product. End of story.:laughing:

I don't support the idea of jail for any growers, in general. Well, maybe those whose product contains high levels of harmful chemicals or licensed commercial growers who divert product into other (illegal) markets. The latter accept the responsibility & protection of the Law in ways that underground growers don't. Within the current legalization model, simply having too many plants should be a civil rather than a criminal matter. If they confiscate an offending party's grow stuff & hit 'em with a court appearance & fine appropriate to their means, that should be enough. That's if a person accepts the current model at all.

I bought some retail early on, to show solidarity & to show that I was there, framed the receipt. Retail must exist if we're to have full circle inclusive legalization, if everybody is to have access to cannabis. Personal growing provisions must exist if we're to keep that honest at all. I'll get a bug up my ass & buy eighths from time to time, I'm sure.

As a recent returnee, my experience with modern cannabis is shallow, my connections to the larger community few in number. OTOH, I want to experience the breadth & depth of what's available in the years I have left. Retail lets me do that w/o playing the med card game. If nothing else, it lets me see what I do & don't like, adjust seed acquisitions accordingly.

Current pricing is another matter entirely, but I don't see how that can possibly endure.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
-SamS

Like I said, Alaska treats hash and concentrates over 3 grams like heroin and it doesn't matter if you are buying, growing under the 24 plant/QP laws or the MM 6plant/1oz rule. Hash arrests are rare because it is so rare here. There are occasional hash oil arrests. Practically nobody even knows what BHO or shatter is. Hash/Concentrates are deemed too risky legally for most people. Flowers rule. Maybe that will change in November.

monsoon

Has anyone heard of instances where anyone has had issues/been charged with going over the allowed 3/3?

It could happen bbut I personally have yet to hear about it. (as we did with the med laws over 10 years ago) Thing is, more than likely it'll be via some "other" incident...domestic violence, disorderly conduct, someone burglarizes your home (this is how I ended up with em in my garden at one point), etc. Unless you have many. many plants and a scale and lotsa traffic, the chances/odds of them coming to see if you are in compliance is nil.

To each their own regarding the buying of retail weed. Just keep in the back of your mind that IF our grow rights are challenged, these business owners with only PROFIT in mind are the ones who will hold, cock, and load the gun that will be aimed at ALL home growers. If you support them, you are doing so without thought of >how this all works<. (the bigger players call the shots)

With home grows everywhere, access to cannabis WITHOUT A RETAIL SCHEME IN PLACE would never be a serious problem...just as it has never been a problem in the past (OK, sans the Summer of 90..which was incredibly dry and THE reason I started growing in late 1990 and have never stopped).

but as you say, you are new to all of this...so I can see where those in such situations might have a semi-tough time finding a hook...for a millesecond or so....LOL.

It's amazing to think how ANY of these folks would have made it in the 70's-80's-90's when you actually had to have a brain to score pot.....much less grow pot.

Whereas over history, the growers were responsible for the cost of weed (due to RISK), the STATE is now the entity responsible for street pricing via this retail/tax scheme. In the end, what could have been valued here much like other produce retains it's "illegal" price point.

And they wonder why folks grow more than they should? LOL.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Has anyone heard of instances where anyone has had issues/been charged with going over the allowed 3/3?

It could happen bbut I personally have yet to hear about it. (as we did with the med laws over 10 years ago) Thing is, more than likely it'll be via some "other" incident...domestic violence, disorderly conduct, someone burglarizes your home (this is how I ended up with em in my garden at one point), etc. Unless you have many. many plants and a scale and lotsa traffic, the chances/odds of them coming to see if you are in compliance is nil.

To each their own regarding the buying of retail weed. Just keep in the back of your mind that IF our grow rights are challenged, these business owners with only PROFIT in mind are the ones who will hold, cock, and load the gun that will be aimed at ALL home growers. If you support them, you are doing so without thought of >how this all works<. (the bigger players call the shots)

With home grows everywhere, access to cannabis WITHOUT A RETAIL SCHEME IN PLACE would never be a serious problem...just as it has never been a problem in the past (OK, sans the Summer of 90..which was incredibly dry and THE reason I started growing in late 1990 and have never stopped).

but as you say, you are new to all of this...so I can see where those in such situations might have a semi-tough time finding a hook...for a millesecond or so....LOL.

It's amazing to think how ANY of these folks would have made it in the 70's-80's-90's when you actually had to have a brain to score pot.....much less grow pot.

Whereas over history, the growers were responsible for the cost of weed (due to RISK), the STATE is now the entity responsible for street pricing via this retail/tax scheme. In the end, what could have been valued here much like other produce retains it's "illegal" price point.

And they wonder why folks grow more than they should? LOL.

As you say, I haven't heard or read of any busts wrt plant counts. I haven't heard of any wrt outdoor growing, either. Adhering to the plant counts serves our purposes entirely, so we see no reason to take any chances.

As you say, something else needs to go wrong before the cops are even interested. As much as anybody else, they seem to realize that the rules have changed & that's because the people wanted them to change. They don't have the tools to figure out how many plants a person might have even if they know a person has some. In that, they're powerless. The usual precautions still apply- odor control, never show anybody your grow if it's illegal. My spouse is more open about that last part than I would be on my own, but it's really not a big deal because the numbers are always right, period.

There are no credible threats to Coloradans' grow rights at the present time, nor likely in the future, either. A64 is part of the State Constitution, above the level where the legislature can alter it. It's also quite specific, leaving little wiggle room. There's no backlash, either, at least not enough to mount a petition, obtain signatures, get a reversal measure on the ballot that people might vote for. Personal grow rights are locked in at the highest possible State level, *part of the system*, like the right to free speech.

The retail scheme demands State participation in legalization, actually putting them on our side. It also brings in the business community beyond growers per se- leasing, security, accounting, marketing, packaging, you name it. It's not about personal growers much at all. From that perspective, we're just a little sideshow & an anchor to reality, an alternative for the capable few who don't want to spend a lot to enjoy cannabis. Retail gets all the fanfare & attention, which is fine by me.

Retail also puts a whole different spin on weed acquisition. Nobody has to hook up, they just have to google it up on their phone. The environment is entirely different, more appealing to a lot of people. I read a piece about a retailer whose security guards walk female customers to their cars. I also think we'll see less overt security as this unfolds, becomes just another part of the everyday. The record keeping for retailer/customer relations is changing away from the MMJ system, as well, becoming the way it is at the liquor store. If you're old enough, showing ID is just pro forma, a necessary protection for the business.

I don't expect retail pricing to hold up, not for long, anyway. It becomes a lot more competitive for producers come Oct 1. The old MMJ vertical integration model disappears. That's huge, whether people realize it or not. I expect retail weed to be cheap & plentiful, growers & processors eager to sell to retailers at much lower margin than at present. If one won't, then other ones will, bet on it.