What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY vertical LED top fed, recirculating hydro... thing

DunHav`nFun

On the plants that have the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "Claw" , start removing all the large fans gradually since that`s where the plant stores excess N for late season growth spurts.....in nature that is......Any fan that`s not coming from inside the colas can go , just don`t do it all at once.....

I started strippin leaves after complete end of stretch to prevent complete plant shut down if done at the wrong time....trust me did that and got the t shirt , but.....done properly allows the plant to finish and use all the rest of what`s stored till end of cycle as the fade and flush occurs.....anyways , the....

Trials and tribulations of runnin different genetics from 1 rez with all plants at different ages and stages of bloomage so......don`t beat yourself up .....maybe foliar the plants that`re lacking to catch em up , but the cardinal rule of hydro setups has ALWAYS been.....Less is more since the plants have access to food 24/7 , so .......hope that helps and maybe back off on the juice a lil to see how they react......regardless......

Take care and good luck......

Peace.....DHF......:ying: .......

I generally defoliate pretty regularly, but these are all first run, from seed plants, so I usually let them run their natural course, to see what they do, like most folks do... But, yeah, I should get rid of those and put the energy elsewhere...

I haven't made any changes yet, but I'm still planning on adding the Epsom, and watching. Next plan will be to drop the Megacrop back down to 4g/gal, and adding Epsom, so there's a little less nitrogen, and more mg. See how they like that.

I'll always have to find the balance between different genetics in different stages, just because of the struggle between the variety I like, and my insistence on keeping things simple lol

Most likely, my sativas will be at their limits, and the indicas slightly hungry. Obviously, no ability to flush, which is another reason for medium nutes. In my experience, I haven't tasted bitterness or lip numbing effects I get from some dispensary stuff, so that's a good thing at least.
I've been trying to keep to the whole "less is more" adage by feeding MC at 4g/gal up until recently, but they still seemed hungry, so I bumped it to 5g/gal lately. Outside, the hydro and soil have been taking 6g/gal like champs... It's starting to get expensive!

roybart

On the plants that have the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "Claw" , start removing all the large fans gradually since that`s where the plant stores excess N for late season growth spurts.....in nature that is......Any fan that`s not coming from inside the colas can go , just don`t do it all at once.....

I started strippin leaves after complete end of stretch to prevent complete plant shut down if done at the wrong time....trust me did that and got the t shirt , but.....done properly allows the plant to finish and use all the rest of what`s stored till end of cycle as the fade and flush occurs.....anyways , the....

Trials and tribulations of runnin different genetics from 1 rez with all plants at different ages and stages of bloomage so......don`t beat yourself up .....maybe foliar the plants that`re lacking to catch em up , but the cardinal rule of hydro setups has ALWAYS been.....Less is more since the plants have access to food 24/7 , so .......hope that helps and maybe back off on the juice a lil to see how they react......regardless......

Take care and good luck......

Peace.....DHF......:ying: .......

What he said:smoke::smoke:

DunHav`nFun

I generally defoliate pretty regularly, but these are all first run, from seed plants, so I usually let them run their natural course, to see what they do, like most folks do... But, yeah, I should get rid of those and put the energy elsewhere...

I haven't made any changes yet, but I'm still planning on adding the Epsom, and watching. Next plan will be to drop the Megacrop back down to 4g/gal, and adding Epsom, so there's a little less nitrogen, and more mg. See how they like that.

I'll always have to find the balance between different genetics in different stages, just because of the struggle between the variety I like, and my insistence on keeping things simple lol

Most likely, my sativas will be at their limits, and the indicas slightly hungry. Obviously, no ability to flush, which is another reason for medium nutes. In my experience, I haven't tasted bitterness or lip numbing effects I get from some dispensary stuff, so that's a good thing at least.
I've been trying to keep to the whole "less is more" adage by feeding MC at 4g/gal up until recently, but they still seemed hungry, so I bumped it to 5g/gal lately. Outside, the hydro and soil have been taking 6g/gal like champs... It's starting to get expensive!
I`ve got an old hippie ass mad scientist Bro on the left coast that`s had what he calls his "lab" for many yrs running a perpetual setup with each container a month apart in age with a "Waterfarm type hybrid" daisy-chained together like yours with top-fed recirculating , but.......

Each container had a cut-off valve on the feed and drain with an extra drain in the bottom to isolate feed or flush if needed rather as needed due to runnin different genetics and at different ages a month apart.....so ......thoughts to ponder....and hey.....as long as a proper "decent length" dry and cure occurs with un-flushed plants , most ppms get evaporated and what`s left stays in the stems so as not to affect flavor IME UNLESS ppms were crazy and jacked up before harvey that is.....but again.....given the option of isolating late blooming plants and take away all juice not needed is a good thingy , so why not if in the budget right ?......anyways.....just tryin ta help.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: .......

Yeah, I decided to err on the side of less N, and drop the MC back down to 4g/gal, add Epsom at 1 t/gal, and keep an eye on em. The hungriest ones still have plenty of time to ramp up, but the older ones could probably use less nutes, as they're in somewhere around wk 7 now anyway.

Fred, your buddy's system sounds nice and customizable... And probably more organized than I am currently... Good to have goals though! Lol

Hopefully I can dial things back before the next round finishes too strong. I don't mind a little deficiency, compared to an excess...

The Sky Lotus was berry-ish, not lemony, or what I remember Skywalker OG as...yet, anyway.

Knights Templar was like lemon candy so far.

The Spring Training is hard to describe, but it's kinda spicy and funky, probably from the Golden Tiger father side. No OG smells so far from the mom.

The father seems to dominate, from what I've seen so far in little crosses I've done.

I'll get an update on smells this week, with new pics.

Good to have you along, Boyd, sorry about the slack in updates!

Got rid of aphids, got lazy, got mites...

... So, no real exciting pics lately. Got through a few plants harvests though, so I'll have to upload some pics eventually.

Veg got empty, so there was a frenzy of soaking and germing, and will likely be a gap in flower, followed by an overload lol

Some things in veg, to look forward to flowering in the next few months include:

Pillow Book, Bodhi's, pheno 3

Skunky VA, Schwaggy P's, phenos 3,4,5

Skunky VD, Schwaggy P's, phenos 3,4 Ortega Durian x Snow Lotus, Bodhi's, phenos 3,4

Orange-y bag seed, likely an orange Cookies thing

Star Dragon x mystery Bodhi or Bad Dawg father

Zkittlez x glue bagseed

Star pupil, MMS

Valedictorian, MMS

Got fresh cuts too!

Finally got the OGKB 2.0 back after 5 years, and got the Giesel for the first time... Looking forward to both ASAP!

What else... Well, I've got some random crosses to try my first 12/12 from seed experiment. They'll be non specific AK and Bubba Kush crossed with 1 of 2 personal crosses, which turned male. The males were a Florida OG x Golden Tiger, and GG4 x Golden Tiger.

Also have some Bad Dawg testers, SFV x Cake Fighter, I'm looking forward to, as well as a Private members Mac cross.

There's probably more too, but that's the update for now...

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
I just switched my 150hps flip-flop vert cab to 100w L.E.D., still vert of course! Cool thread, I love the DIY too. All of the upcoming strains sound wicked. Subbed for sure!

Nice, how did you do your vert? Flat single wall plane?

Lots of strains and phenos to hunt through, but should have worthy female cuts to keep things steady in between.

ButterflyEffect

Looking good MM!

I run 3 rooms of double stacked 315s perpetual. All DIY since I'm cheap!

I've been growing this way for the past 5 years and I've learned a lot but I still have major knowledge gaps. Hell, I come on these boards and I feel like a noob!

I wish there were more things going on here at Club Vertical, as well. I guess all the big guns stick with horizontal. Oh well!

3 rooms? Man, I wish! I'm stuck in a couple tents, and not even big ones lol

I hear ya about feeling like a noob sometimes.

No pics lately, because if you saw my areas right now, you'd doubt I've been growing for 10 weeks, let alone 10+ years!

I do need to update though. It's just tough here, when it's such a pain to upload photos, and text disappears if you take more than like 5 minutes to type it out...
So what strains do you like to run, Butterfly?

ButterflyEffect

Ha! We're gonna have to have ghetto room pic battle! I'm such an avid DIYer and I'm super duper cheap. That lends to some pretty sketchy looking things for sure!

I'm starting to get some pics together now, but like you, I'm not too keen on how to do it properly and securely yet. Soon.

The rooms run about 5 weeks apart, at least in theory!

Room 1: 6 S1, 3 Peyote WiFi and 1 Peyote Gorilla
Room 2: 3 Black Zombie, 3 Cheese, 2 GG4, 2 Bruce Banger and 2 Cinderella XXX
Room 3: 5 Green Crack, 4 Peyote Gorilla and 1 Peyote WiFi

This shit keeps me busy! That's why I'm trying to shore up some of my processes and maybe get some advice to run smoother.

hayday

Veteran
I just happened to take two pics this morning.It took four tries to get them to load right and I still dont know why what I normally do did not work. Plus I dont know what I did to get them right...
I hope you dont mind me posting them up in here
a year and a few months in this room and doing ok
Left side
picture.php

right side
picture.php

ButterflyEffect

I just happened to take two pics this morning.It took four tries to get them to load right and I still dont know why what I normally do did not work. Plus I dont know what I did to get them right...
I hope you dont mind me posting them up in here
a year and a few months in this room and doing ok
Left side
View Image

right side
View Image

Don't mind at all. It's always helpful to see what and how everyone else is rocking it, especially vert, as we don't get enough love.

Are those DIY LEDs? How have they performed? I love my CDMs but I'd entertain running one room LED, if for the power savings from the AC alone. I haven't looked into them at all for flower(I run a few cobs in veg) but it looks promising.

hayday

Veteran
Hey Butterfly , the lights are from HLG sold as a DIY but are very simple to hook up.They are made for flat grows and supplimental but they are awsome vert lamps. Four foot of light diffused all over with side lighting everywhere.
I'm finishing up my first run after changing back to soil, my last hydro run was 1.24 gpw. Not going to hit that this run but I'm starting to dial it in.

DunHav`nFun

Well damn......Dust the cobwebs off Vert-ville......Icky had a thread goin there for awhile but he got busy in real life and well you guys know how that goes......now.....Hayday......How many watts are those units pushin per 4' strip.....rather how many Samsung strips can be put in those 4 ft`ers.....

Can`t bring myself ta pull the trigger cuz it`s just for headies and I`m a tight old bastard , but I`m down to my last 600 watt Eye Horti from way back when I shut down yrs ago , and LED`s the wayta upgrade from what I`ve seen so......

Ya`ll take care , and hey Butterfly........Start a thread if yas have time and questions are easier to answer on top of raising your post count for private messages.....anyways...thoughts to ponder....Wonder how Medicine man`s doin .....

Peace.....DHF.......:ying:......

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
L.E.D. vert! DIY Samsung lm301h strips, driven by 100w Meanwell on a flip-flop relay. :dance013:

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_102149.jpg
    IMG_20201112_102149.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20201118_145534.jpg
    IMG_20201118_145534.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20201118_145640.jpg
    IMG_20201118_145640.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 101

ButterflyEffect

Hey Butterfly , the lights are from HLG sold as a DIY but are very simple to hook up.They are made for flat grows and supplimental but they are awsome vert lamps. Four foot of light diffused all over with side lighting everywhere.
I'm finishing up my first run after changing back to soil, my last hydro run was 1.24 gpw. Not going to hit that this run but I'm starting to dial it in.

I'll have to look into those at some point. I like to experiment, maybe a bit too much!

Those are some very good numbers. I'm lucky to hit .75/gpw which is a major reason I joined. I know I'm leaving a bunch of yield on the table, but I can't seem to figure out where.