What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY vertical LED top fed, recirculating hydro... thing

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
So are the less good for say a six light grow? Mostly only see them in use in single light grows and sometimes two light grows but I'm rocking six and dont know if it'll truly be a change in the right direction for my grow. :dunno:

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
You can run the old x o pattern, Where "X" is a plant and "O" is a light viewed from the top.

XXXXXX
XOXOXOX
XOXOXOX
XXXXXX

DunHav`nFun

Happy New Yrs guys.....Wanted to stop in and say thanks again for all the LED input and let all know about what I found......I thought from back in the day Alibaba only sold multiple sets of all they offer and back then you hadta register and be approved to buy shit , or at least like a line of credit , but I said nuh uh and never went back again till a friend said last week they even sell samples nowadays 1 at a time , and I went a huntin......

After lookin till my eyes bled , I found Quantum board fixture kits the equivalent of Horticulture lighting group`s exact fixtures shipped to the US for $136 for the 240 watt 2 panel 576 chip units with brand new Samsung lm301H/for horticulture , and HLG 240 H meanwell dimmable drivers......panels pre-assembled and simple add hardware for hangers and attach driver down to heatsink on top......everything electrical is waterproof sealed connectors and at most 10 minutes you`re ready to hang em and plug em in.....

I bought 2 of the 3 panel units with 864 diodes and HLG 320 dimmable drivers for $ 428.70 delivered to the door , so $ 214.50 +/= for a 320 watt top of the line unit don`t piss me off .....Guess that "patience is a virtue" sayin helped my old ass out this time.....anyways.....

There`s deals to be had over there boys and girls , but shipping may take a minute from some companies , so that`s 1 drawback , but I can wait a few weeks for savin 100`s .....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:......

DunHav`nFun

Nice score DHF, That’s a pretty good deal! Alibaba is pretty legit, just like anything else......doing homework is the key.
HLG wants 485 bucks for the exact 320 watt fixture I`m gettin for 214.50 , and 350 bucks for the 240 watt units they want 136 bucks for on Alibaba.....and HLG`s kits look to need wiring compared to these pre-wired 2 and 3 panel units , so just another plus for my choice.....

Take care guys , and do your homework ....shit gets cheaper by the minute.....lol....

packerfan79

Veteran
HLG wants 485 bucks for the exact 320 watt fixture I`m gettin for 214.50 , and 350 bucks for the 240 watt units they want 136 bucks for on Alibaba.....and HLG`s kits look to need wiring compared to these pre-wired 2 and 3 panel units , so just another plus for my choice.....

Take care guys , and do your homework ....shit gets cheaper by the minute.....lol....

That's cheaper than the 240 watt kit I bought back in April. I fabd up some aluminum to mount it the way I wanted. It was just the heat sinks, panels, driver and wiring.

I paid 250 for my 300 watt mars tsl2000.

Good buy DHF.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I have no experience how warranties work thru Alibaba.....guessing it depends on the seller?

But I do have experience on how Mar’s warranty works. IT DONT, they do not honor it I found out the hard way. Buyer Beware.

ButterflyEffect

Happy New Yrs guys.....Wanted to stop in and say thanks again for all the LED input and let all know about what I found......I thought from back in the day Alibaba only sold multiple sets of all they offer and back then you hadta register and be approved to buy shit , or at least like a line of credit , but I said nuh uh and never went back again till a friend said last week they even sell samples nowadays 1 at a time , and I went a huntin......

After lookin till my eyes bled , I found Quantum board fixture kits the equivalent of Horticulture lighting group`s exact fixtures shipped to the US for $136 for the 240 watt 2 panel 576 chip units with brand new Samsung lm301H/for horticulture , and HLG 240 H meanwell dimmable drivers......panels pre-assembled and simple add hardware for hangers and attach driver down to heatsink on top......everything electrical is waterproof sealed connectors and at most 10 minutes you`re ready to hang em and plug em in.....

I bought 2 of the 3 panel units with 864 diodes and HLG 320 dimmable drivers for $ 428.70 delivered to the door , so $ 214.50 +/= for a 320 watt top of the line unit don`t piss me off .....Guess that "patience is a virtue" sayin helped my old ass out this time.....anyways.....

There`s deals to be had over there boys and girls , but shipping may take a minute from some companies , so that`s 1 drawback , but I can wait a few weeks for savin 100`s .....

Damn!

When I pull one of my rooms offline later this, I'd like to see how these compare to my 315s. If I can not use AC like I do in the winter, I might be able to make a case for them.

DunHav`nFun

Did a lotta research guys....and either they`re legit , or it`s all a front for the Chinese Communist Party.....lol.....They`ve been in the Lighting Manufacturing Biz for 17 yrs , so not just some wholesaler/re-seller hawkin knock-offs...

They`ll even put your name/logo on em for X number of units purchased , so evidently there`s folks out there re-selling said units on ebay , amazon and other places I`m sure.....anyways.....

Just tryin ta help .....I wanted to get the light bar type units like the Gavita s , but they`re too expensive for the same wattage and drivers for no apparent reason in my book , so Good luck and Caveat Emptor/let the buyer beware.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

Happy new year, everyone!

Good on ya, Fred- welcome to the light side!

I'll bet those things kick ass for you, kung fu style lol

I took the alibaba plunge a few years ago, and while there are a few diodes out here and there, I'm still super happy with em overall. I could probably do even more for less, nowadays.
I'm glad to see you back in the game, rather than just coaching from the sidelines, man.
What flavors you preferring lately?

MacGydro

Cough cough...Goddamn it's dusty in here....all of Vertville, actually!
Where is everybody? Arby's roast beef sale??

I'm still kickin around my little corner once in a while, but haven't posted here in a while
(See above post ^^^)
This place has been my canna home since like 2007 though, so I figured I'd add a little content, and try to do so more often.

...I'm still vertical, still running the same diodes I built almost 6 years ago, just in a slightly different configuration in veg.
No current veg pics, as it's pretty empty at the moment, but I'll post some flower tent pics below.

Not currently recirculating hydro, just 1/2g fabric AC Infinity pots filled with Promix HPCC myco, around a homemade vertical LED fixture. It's 3500k, was built to run at 400w, but is currently full power, which was about 525w last I checked the meter.
Currently hand watering with a funnel and tubing, but that's getting old real fast, so I'll be working out the res and irrigation lines soon.

Current strains in pics, staggered 2 weeks, generally, include:

Personal chuck- "Jungle Party" (GG4 bagseed x Golden Tiger unintentionally reversed)
Personal chuck- "Spring Training" (Florida OG cut x Golden Tiger unintentionally reversed)
Bad Dawg Genetics- Bodhi's Sunshine 4 F2s (I believe)
Bad Dawg Genetics- Tres Stardawg x Runaway Bride
Freak Genetics- Pigs in a Blanket F2s
Freak Genetics- Grape Marmalade x Garlic Breath (2.0?)
Freak Genetics- Sour Banana x Garlic Breath (2.0?)
First 48 Genetics- Tropical Zombie (Tiki Madman's Tropical Runtz, I think? x First 48's "Zombified")
Bodhi Genetics- Mango Hashplant (Colombian Mangobiche x 88G13Hp)
Headband Bagseed- A nice representation of an OGish thing, so I decided to pop a few for the hell of it.

Here's some pics...

Tent shot:

IMG_4625FlowerTentJuly22023.JPG

Left side rack, and the farthest along, bottom to top are Jungle Party, Spring Training, Sunshine 4, and Stardawg x Runaway Brides:

IMG_4638FlowerTentLeftRackJuly22023.JPG

Rear rack, holding Mango Hashplants, Headband bagseeds, and Freak's GM x GB and SB x GB, bottom to top:

IMG_4630FlowerTentRearRackJuly22023.JPG

Right side rack, newest Freak and Headband stragglers, Freak's Pigs in a Blankets, and M48's Tropical Zombies, bottom to top:

IMG_4631FlowerTentRightRackJuly22023.JPG

I'll get some closer shots up next.

Welcome back to Vertville, 2023!

Last edited:

Ca++

Use of vertical space has changed so much, now LED is commonplace
iu

The thing dead center, is a railway. The tall back thing, a monitoring carriage.
A bit less tech here
news_23216_3.jpg

Tall plants like tomato's are being interlighted, which is similar to vert. No lighting takes space around them. It's all in the plants.

I have a square space, but instead of 9, I have chose to do 8. I figure the sides of these 8 plants, are as much canopy as it I put a 9th plant in the middle.

MacGydro

Use of vertical space has changed so much, now LED is commonplace
iu

The thing dead center, is a railway. The tall back thing, a monitoring carriage.
A bit less tech here
news_23216_3.jpg

Tall plants like tomato's are being interlighted, which is similar to vert. No lighting takes space around them. It's all in the plants.

I have a square space, but instead of 9, I have chose to do 8. I figure the sides of these 8 plants, are as much canopy as it I put a 9th plant in the middle.

I do appreciate that they’re using vertical space, don’t get me wrong. It’s always cheaper to go up than out...
But, that, my good sir, is not what I’d personally call a "vertical grow" 😉😂
Vertically stacked, horizontal planed grow, sure...but true vert grows are a different animal, IMO.

I’ve been hooked on the vertical concept since reading a bunch of Heath’s old stuff here, and following @DunHav`nFun adivce back in the day. (Where you at lately Fred??) I’m not sure why it’s not more popular, as I’ve seen the best results with proper functioning vert grows. Both online, and in person.

How do you prefer to grow, Ca++? I always enjoy picking up new info when I can...

Ca++

I have not done a true vert. I do play about with getting light to the lower parts though. Which always pays. Making scrap into smoke, but usually after stretch. I favour a horizontal canopy, which can grow fine without extra light. Then light it up from below. Lit too early, you just grow stuff to cut off. I'm not trying to put 650umol down there. The zone already has growth. I'm just boosting it. Just 150umol will tip the balance between chucking of trimming some bits. With as many grams per mole gained from power usage below the crop, as above. With the canopy saturated with 600w a meter of HPS, I saw more yield per watt from 50W cobs in the floor. Plus the joy of less waste :)

I like F&D buckets with reusable media. Though I have been stuck dripping for ages.