No announcement yet.

DIY vertical LED top fed, recirculating hydro... thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I brought some pics for a little update, and to illustrate the fork in the road I find myself in.

I'm seeing what look to be signs of deficiencies and excesses in different plants. No big surprise when you run genetics from both ends of the spectrum in the same rez, so now I'm deciding which step to take next.

I could bump the MC up, but I'm already at 5g/gal, and the more Sativa acting plants are already plenty green... But they also look like they may have a possible deficiency too.
    I could just add Epsom salts to the rez at a tsp/gal for a magnesium boost.
    Or I could drop nutes back to 4g/gal, and add Epsom.

Here's some pics and more info:

Heavenly Hashplant, lighter green, with purpling petioles and streaking stalk. This is heavy Indica, being Bubba x 88g13hp...
    EDIT- I think this is actually a Skunky VD by Schwaggy P. She's still pretty Indica though, being:
    Chem 91skva x (Mi Skunk x Iraqi)
    X
    Chem D x (Mi Skunk x Iraqi)

Knights Templar v2, leaning heavy to her Sativa side. The tallest in the tent, you can see her fans, circled in red, acting like they're getting way too much N. They also tend to curl like this when they're higher than the best light, so it's tough to tell for sure. You can also see what look to be burnt tips, and rusty serrations.
    Down at her bottoms look to be deficient leaves. These are also down below the best light, so they could be wanting more there.

The other most Sativa acting gal is the Spring Training. On her there's a little worse tip burn, and more rusty serrations. Leaves are plenty green, but I'm still not sure if she's looking like the beginning of a deficiency or excess...

Here's a better lit pic of bottoms of both plants. You can see the yellow blotchiness better...

I'll probably end up just adding the Epsom tonight, and watch for a few days, unless someone screams not to before then lol

Anyway, I'll get better individual pics for an update tonight.
    Last edited by Medicine, Man; 08-09-2020, 16:34.

Comment

Your pics are linking to r***itup to view.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMMJ View Post
        Your pics are linking to r***itup to view.

Ha, thanks for the heads up! Fixed...I think...

Comment

Alrighty, so I took some closer shots the other night of the individual plants. The younger are around 2 weeks, and the older are about 6. For picture posting purposes, This post will have the 3 younger plants, and 1 of the older ones...

2wk Heavenly Hashplant:

2wk Skunky VD:

2wk Pillow Book:

Sky Lotus week 6 and her top bud:

Rest of the 6 weekers in the next post...

Comment

Knights Templar v2 week 6:

KT top:

Spring Training week 6:

ST Top:

Comment

On the plants that have the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "Claw" , start removing all the large fans gradually since that`s where the plant stores excess N for late season growth spurts.....in nature that is......Any fan that`s not coming from inside the colas can go , just don`t do it all at once.....

I started strippin leaves after complete end of stretch to prevent complete plant shut down if done at the wrong time....trust me did that and got the t shirt , but.....done properly allows the plant to finish and use all the rest of what`s stored till end of cycle as the fade and flush occurs.....anyways , the....

Trials and tribulations of runnin different genetics from 1 rez with all plants at different ages and stages of bloomage so......don`t beat yourself up .....maybe foliar the plants that`re lacking to catch em up , but the cardinal rule of hydro setups has ALWAYS been.....Less is more since the plants have access to food 24/7 , so .......hope that helps and maybe back off on the juice a lil to see how they react......regardless......

Take care and good luck......

Peace.....DHF...... .......
              Knowledge is power.....Adapt or perish....

Comment

I generally defoliate pretty regularly, but these are all first run, from seed plants, so I usually let them run their natural course, to see what they do, like most folks do... But, yeah, I should get rid of those and put the energy elsewhere...

I haven't made any changes yet, but I'm still planning on adding the Epsom, and watching. Next plan will be to drop the Megacrop back down to 4g/gal, and adding Epsom, so there's a little less nitrogen, and more mg. See how they like that.

I'll always have to find the balance between different genetics in different stages, just because of the struggle between the variety I like, and my insistence on keeping things simple lol

Most likely, my sativas will be at their limits, and the indicas slightly hungry. Obviously, no ability to flush, which is another reason for medium nutes. In my experience, I haven't tasted bitterness or lip numbing effects I get from some dispensary stuff, so that's a good thing at least.
                I've been trying to keep to the whole "less is more" adage by feeding MC at 4g/gal up until recently, but they still seemed hungry, so I bumped it to 5g/gal lately. Outside, the hydro and soil have been taking 6g/gal like champs... It's starting to get expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by DunHav`nFun View Post
                  On the plants that have the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "Claw" , start removing all the large fans gradually since that`s where the plant stores excess N for late season growth spurts.....in nature that is......Any fan that`s not coming from inside the colas can go , just don`t do it all at once.....

I started strippin leaves after complete end of stretch to prevent complete plant shut down if done at the wrong time....trust me did that and got the t shirt , but.....done properly allows the plant to finish and use all the rest of what`s stored till end of cycle as the fade and flush occurs.....anyways , the....

Trials and tribulations of runnin different genetics from 1 rez with all plants at different ages and stages of bloomage so......don`t beat yourself up .....maybe foliar the plants that`re lacking to catch em up , but the cardinal rule of hydro setups has ALWAYS been.....Less is more since the plants have access to food 24/7 , so .......hope that helps and maybe back off on the juice a lil to see how they react......regardless......

Take care and good luck......

Peace.....DHF...... .......

What he said

Comment

Originally posted by Medicine, Man View Post
                    I generally defoliate pretty regularly, but these are all first run, from seed plants, so I usually let them run their natural course, to see what they do, like most folks do... But, yeah, I should get rid of those and put the energy elsewhere...

I haven't made any changes yet, but I'm still planning on adding the Epsom, and watching. Next plan will be to drop the Megacrop back down to 4g/gal, and adding Epsom, so there's a little less nitrogen, and more mg. See how they like that.

I'll always have to find the balance between different genetics in different stages, just because of the struggle between the variety I like, and my insistence on keeping things simple lol

Most likely, my sativas will be at their limits, and the indicas slightly hungry. Obviously, no ability to flush, which is another reason for medium nutes. In my experience, I haven't tasted bitterness or lip numbing effects I get from some dispensary stuff, so that's a good thing at least.
                    I've been trying to keep to the whole "less is more" adage by feeding MC at 4g/gal up until recently, but they still seemed hungry, so I bumped it to 5g/gal lately. Outside, the hydro and soil have been taking 6g/gal like champs... It's starting to get expensive!
                    I`ve got an old hippie ass mad scientist Bro on the left coast that`s had what he calls his "lab" for many yrs running a perpetual setup with each container a month apart in age with a "Waterfarm type hybrid" daisy-chained together like yours with top-fed recirculating , but.......

Each container had a cut-off valve on the feed and drain with an extra drain in the bottom to isolate feed or flush if needed rather as needed due to runnin different genetics and at different ages a month apart.....so ......thoughts to ponder....and hey.....as long as a proper "decent length" dry and cure occurs with un-flushed plants , most ppms get evaporated and what`s left stays in the stems so as not to affect flavor IME UNLESS ppms were crazy and jacked up before harvey that is.....but again.....given the option of isolating late blooming plants and take away all juice not needed is a good thingy , so why not if in the budget right ?......anyways.....just tryin ta help.....

Peace.....DHF..... .......
                    Knowledge is power.....Adapt or perish....

Comment

Yeah, I decided to err on the side of less N, and drop the MC back down to 4g/gal, add Epsom at 1 t/gal, and keep an eye on em. The hungriest ones still have plenty of time to ramp up, but the older ones could probably use less nutes, as they're in somewhere around wk 7 now anyway.

Fred, your buddy's system sounds nice and customizable... And probably more organized than I am currently... Good to have goals though! Lol

Hopefully I can dial things back before the next round finishes too strong. I don't mind a little deficiency, compared to an excess...

Comment

How are those week 6ers smellin??

Comment

The Sky Lotus was berry-ish, not lemony, or what I remember Skywalker OG as...yet, anyway.

Knights Templar was like lemon candy so far.

The Spring Training is hard to describe, but it's kinda spicy and funky, probably from the Golden Tiger father side. No OG smells so far from the mom.

The father seems to dominate, from what I've seen so far in little crosses I've done.

I'll get an update on smells this week, with new pics.

Comment

Upcoming 2020 Shows:
                            Hunting HammerHeads Haze : A5x FlashPoint x Firestorm
                            Corvette Summer: Vert Edition
                            GhettoGrow 2.0: The Basement Party

_________
                            sigpic

Comment

Good to have you along, Boyd, sorry about the slack in updates!

Got rid of aphids, got lazy, got mites...

... So, no real exciting pics lately. Got through a few plants harvests though, so I'll have to upload some pics eventually.

Veg got empty, so there was a frenzy of soaking and germing, and will likely be a gap in flower, followed by an overload lol

Some things in veg, to look forward to flowering in the next few months include:

Pillow Book, Bodhi's, pheno 3

Skunky VA, Schwaggy P's, phenos 3,4,5

Skunky VD, Schwaggy P's, phenos 3,4 Ortega Durian x Snow Lotus, Bodhi's, phenos 3,4

Orange-y bag seed, likely an orange Cookies thing

Star Dragon x mystery Bodhi or Bad Dawg father

Zkittlez x glue bagseed

Star pupil, MMS

Valedictorian, MMS

Got fresh cuts too!

Finally got the OGKB 2.0 back after 5 years, and got the Giesel for the first time... Looking forward to both ASAP!

What else... Well, I've got some random crosses to try my first 12/12 from seed experiment. They'll be non specific AK and Bubba Kush crossed with 1 of 2 personal crosses, which turned male. The males were a Florida OG x Golden Tiger, and GG4 x Golden Tiger.

Also have some Bad Dawg testers, SFV x Cake Fighter, I'm looking forward to, as well as a Private members Mac cross.

There's probably more too, but that's the update for now...

Comment

I just switched my 150hps flip-flop vert cab to 100w L.E.D., still vert of course! Cool thread, I love the DIY too. All of the upcoming strains sound wicked. Subbed for sure!
                                Hammerhead's Flashbang- C x Firestorm #18 test grow

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuana-growing/grow-diaries/17866382-hammerhead-genetics-white-truffle-x-p40-test-grow

Comment

Working...
                                X