What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
OK it looks like things are dry now. So I took all the colas I weighed wet and got a measurement now that they are dry.

Here is the first cola. It is the one we have been tracking from about week 4. It weighed wet in at 108.2 grams.

Here is the second cola from that same plant. It weighed in wet at 103.8 grams.

Here is the first cola of the second plant I trimmed. When it was wet it weighed in at 156.2 grams.

And thew second cola from the second trimmed plant weighed wet 107.7 grams.

I am not sure of the weights difference yet. I will have to look back at the pictures once they are posted. I did not really pay attention when I took the weights. I just made sure that I took a picture of each cola.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Finally here is the third plant I trimmed. This is the first cola off that plant. This cola only weighed in at 81 grams.

And now the last cola from all three plants and the second cola from the third plant. It weighed in at 113.1 grams wet.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I just lost my whole post so I will start again.

I need to clarify what I mean when dry. The stem snaps when bent. The bud is dry on the out side and soft in the middle. Maybe a little to dry but still OK. I will know more when I get them in jars with a moisture meter.

So here are the numbers.

The first comes in at 24.7%.
The second comes in at 26.0.
The third comes in at 27.5%.
The fourth comes in at 26.3%.
The fifth comes in at 28.6%.
And the last comes in at 27.2%.

That gives me a average weight after drying of 26.7%. Or a weight loss of 73.3% during drying. But again I need to get these in jars to get a final moisture number for the buds with a meter. And also these weights include the stem they are attached to also. So not just the buds.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
It is going to take a few days to get the weights because I will be trimming out a house this week. And my wives birthday is coming up and I need to bake her a cake and cook dinner for her.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Great tip on the wood moisture meter, DHF, I have one of those laying around here somewhere.

Looks like a banging harvest, Ichabod! Are you going to refill those screens right off? If so, what will be the next strain(s)? You could definitely see the amber trichs in those pre-harvest pics. Nice run, playa! Happy Birthday to the ol' lady! I still have about a month until my girlfriend's. Maybe I will make her a jewelry box, it might clean up her side of the bathroom sink:)

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Great tip on the wood moisture meter, DHF, I have one of those laying around here somewhere.

Looks like a banging harvest, Ichabod! Are you going to refill those screens right off? If so, what will be the next strain(s)? You could definitely see the amber trichs in those pre-harvest pics. Nice run, playa! Happy Birthday to the ol' lady! I still have about a month until my girlfriend's. Maybe I will make her a jewelry box, it might clean up her side of the bathroom sink:)
No I will not be. I am going to be busy and I am also using the room to dry the buds in.

Good luck getting her side cleaned up. You are just lucky she has not already taken half your side too.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I broke my wife of that right when we started dating. I told her I thought it was unsanitary to leave the toilet lid up. Now she puts the lid down every time. It is kind of gross flushing with the lid up though. All kinds of shit getting in the air when you flush.:puke:

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro....Hope harvey and final numbers are good to yas…..so.....Unc`s 75% wet to dry reduction worked out to the final cola weight +/- huh ?.....mine are always still spongy feeling and sticky with nowhere near crumbly anything when my stems snap , but may be the difference in yours and my RH levels to start with ,on top of how long it takes to dry properly down here in Hell.....I `ve had shit hang a month before being leathery like good cured out tobacco leaves.....well that`s my analogy being from the south.....First time I hung plants was in a tobacco barn and they did awesome.....anyways.....

Leaving 4-5% moisture inherent in nugs is fine with me , although I think 62% boveda`s are a bit much IME , even IF the shit will still burn but won`t mold or mildew at that percentage rate , it seems to wet for me.....aight.....

On to the next run....Go get em Ickster…..

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hey Bro....Hope harvey and final numbers are good to yas…..so.....Unc`s 75% wet to dry reduction worked out to the final cola weight +/- huh ?.....mine are always still spongy feeling and sticky with nowhere near crumbly anything when my stems snap , but may be the difference in yours and my RH levels to start with ,on top of how long it takes to dry properly down here in Hell.....I `ve had shit hang a month before being leathery like good cured out tobacco leaves.....well that`s my analogy being from the south.....First time I hung plants was in a tobacco barn and they did awesome.....anyways.....

Leaving 4-5% moisture inherent in nugs is fine with me , although I think 62% boveda`s are a bit much IME , even IF the shit will still burn but won`t mold or mildew at that percentage rate , it seems to wet for me.....aight.....

On to the next run....Go get em Ickster…..

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

Oh man just lost my post. Haha seems I am hanging around DHF to much.

Yeah seems like unc was right. About 25% of wet weight when dry.

I also don't like it at 62%. Seems to high to me.

Still trimming. But the RH came up so it can sit a little longer and be fine.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
I would not be happy if I bought weed that was 62% rh. Shit, then again, I would be almost as unhappy about having to buy any.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i bought some weed a while ago...still sitting in my drawer...it was pretty good at first but overdried...and grown with chem nutes...my throat couldn't deal with it...too harsh...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Perhaps my 90% loss comes from a different processing approach. I would of kept that same amount of twig to dry them steadily. I have always found a more steady drying time with that extra moisture. A big twig with little bud, takes a lot longer to dry than the same little bud chopped off. Plus we are hanging them, not laying them out. So no difference there. But we don't smoke the twig. Now it's exposed, it's got to go at some point before the final weigh in. What that twig weighs I can't tell, but if it still folds silently, it's quite a lot of your products weight. If dry, they weigh surprisingly little.

I look forward to seeing it off the twig and sealed in a container with a steady RH.

Your math suggests the bulldog clip is about 3g of your product weight. You need to weigh one and remove it from your math. All your samples are around 25% including the outstanding 28.6

420ish

i wet trim using a spin pro.i dry in racks for about three days and then sometimes have to remove from jars or just leave the lid off to get the rh to 58 to 60%.my stems snap when the cheap hydrometers read those numbers.i am usually within a 1/4 oz dry weight to my wet weight times .22.my last batch i was spot on 16.5 oz .i will be checking latest batch today after 1 week.jars were reading between 59 and 62 % and stems were snapping.i have been doing it this way for years.there is very little stem to snap unless i break off a small part of bud to have room to snap.
the buds smoke good and are not crumbling.if i go to 52 to 55 % rh the buds are crumbly and over dryed in my opinion.they are in finished product condition when i am doing all these readings

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well with so much credible evidence coming forth, I'm stumped. I presumed people loosing 80% had wet weed. I have done this many times. Worst case was a 93% loss. I have my drying boxes weighed, so I can weigh them as a bulk measure. It's not my first rodeo, it's standard practice. My head is in my hands here. I pull the numbers the seed vendors say, and I have never seen any better. Nobody I know claims to of.

My weed can't come down holding twice the water weight.

Non of this seems possible... I'm rarely so stumped for ideas. I need to see the proper figures here, without twigs and paperclips, and at a known temp/humidity.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think you guys are getting confused between the rH of the buds and the weight of water evaporating to get to a "dried" product...it's all the math! i have never once used a bovida or any other sort of measuring device aside from my hands...turn that battle computer off and use the force!