What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So things got away on me tonight so I will be taking the plants down tomorrow. I didn't want to wake my wife up when I took a shower after knocking them down since she has to work in the morning.

I don't know how most of you hang your plants to dry. I like to use a new dry line with the clips. If I can cut the branch so it has a hook I will do that. But since I bend the plants around that is not the case most of the time. So I use these clips to hang with.

I like these clips because they are not wood like cloths pins. I don't like wood in my grow since it can mold. And these can be thrown in a cup of alcohol if I do see mold.

There are three sizes in the picture. I like the middle one. It is 1 inch wide. The smaller one is OK for most branches but not the bigger ones. And the large clip takes up to much room on the drying line. Not to mention it cost way more than the other two do.

And That is another good point about taking up to much room. Cloths pins take up a huge amount of room. I can put enough clips in a cottage cheese container to hang around 2 pound. I would hate to see how many cup to hold that many cloths pins.

Till tomorrow homies.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You could think about a humidifier on a stat, to keep above that 62%. While employed a de-hu to keep below 70. Or something like that. Ensuring a quick dry, that never goes too dry, and so gets a full cure. Like people are doing in bags, but with a big climate controlled bag/room.

I think you should paint the floor. Proper floor paint, that runs up the wall/frame a couple of inches to. Essentially tanking the floor. It would be easier to clean, and catch leaks, but mostly it would look great :)

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You could think about a humidifier on a stat, to keep above that 62%. While employed a de-hu to keep below 70. Or something like that. Ensuring a quick dry, that never goes too dry, and so gets a full cure. Like people are doing in bags, but with a big climate controlled bag/room.

I think you should paint the floor. Proper floor paint, that runs up the wall/frame a couple of inches to. Essentially tanking the floor. It would be easier to clean, and catch leaks, but mostly it would look great :)

It takes a while to get the humidity down now. That is because of the rest of the grow gives off a lot of humidity. But when I run the humidity to how I get to much moisture up stairs. So kind of stuck on that.

As for the floor I don't want to have large painted areas if I rip the grow down. So I will have to live with what I have. The floor is pretty smooth and easy to clean now also. And If it leaks it just leaks into the perimeter drain. Under the floor slab is 12 inches of crushed pea stone. About 80 yards of stone. Plus that is surrounded by sand. I had to put the stone in for the drain and add extra because the backhoe kept sinking. Was a pain in the ass for the driver to have to use the boom to lift it out. That took a ton of time.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I started the harvesting tonight. Here is the first plant to be harvested.

After I took all the tips off this is what I am left with. You can see how I bent the plants around to where I wanted them on the screen. Remember the screen is 2 feet wide and 4 feet to the first additional screen. The additional screens are 2 foot high. One foot for each screen.

I also marked a second cola. The first was the one from about week 4 of flower. I took a weight of both of these colas. I will weight how much I get from each one. There is always someone asking how much you loose in water weight. So these will be a example. The one withe the white pipe cleaner is the one from earlier in the thread.

I spent 46 minutes taking these down and rough trimming them. I think I had 48 minutes taking fans. I will have to look back and see. I will do that when I get my time totals.

Here is what is on the line after the first plant. The buds are heavy and sagging the line down. I had to use a screw driver to pull this line into place. After some bitching and about 8 tries I finally got the string to hook on the hooks in the wall. I use new line every time I harvest. Keep those nasties out of my drying area. This is the same flower room that the plants were flowered in.

That line is 7 feet long. And they are 16 inch apart. And full of nice dense buds. As evidence from the sag in the line which was tied 4-6 inches shart of 7 feet.

Anyway I have to get back to rough trimming the other 2 plants. I will get some more pics for you guys.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if i could go back in time i would stop whoever invented trimming and instead convince the customers that what they really wanted was fresh untrimmed buds so they could dry it themselves to just the way they like it!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
if i could go back in time i would stop whoever invented trimming and instead convince the customers that what they really wanted was fresh untrimmed buds so they could dry it themselves to just the way they like it!

Judging from what I see out there it would last about one time. The one time they made great bud into hay.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Judging from what I see out there it would last about one time. The one time they made great bud into hay.
arguably many growers do that too...90% of what i see here is just clumps of powder basically...as soon as you try and break up a bud it turns to dust...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I am done with plant two. It took 41 minutes to chop and rough trim. Here it is before trimming.

And this is what is left after the buds are removed. And I should mention when you take the buds off you need to start from the top down. This plant kept wanting to fall forward. The only thing keeping it up is the light hanging bar. If you leave it hooked to the wall that is not a issue. But if you want to move it it is top heavy.

I also took the weight of two more colas so that we can track the loose to water again.

And finally here is what is on the drying lines with the first two plants hanging.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
For many years I hung on string, but within cardboard boxes. Typically a 35x35x45 box has 7 lines sewn in, back and forth. The opening and closing of the boxes gives humidity control. As a rule they are open for about 36 hours, then shut and checked daily. When first hung, the buds are brushing their neighbours, but 24 hours see's them shrink a lot. It's about then you can close them. The card wicks well, and can be speeded beyond requirements with the aid of a fan or badly stacking. Stacking which can be anywhere, should the need to move arise. When not in use, the boxes lay flat with the strings still in place. Within vac bags in necessary. You must fill a box though, not half fill it. If half full, the bud is as if hung in a room. The ratio of bud to box size, thus evaporation rate is something you learn.

This won't make a lot of difference. Even a bit of difference actually. This will stop you ever smoking something room hung again. It's the best gem of information I have ever laid out on this forum.

You can expect 90% losses hanging till dry in a room of about 50% rh. The usual figure quoted on these boards is 80% but I smoke neat, and that don't burn. I wish though... I would have twice as much bud. Literally. But I have weighed wet many times to know the dry weight in advance. Many of my boxes have the weight with strings wrote upon them. It's done that often. Helping to select the plants going in, as the finished ones come out. You like time saving. This could give you a week.

Last edited:

420ish

i wet weigh and then multiply x .22 =dry weight.since i usually wet trim this formula has been very accurate for me.dont remember what forum i learned it on.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Thanks f-e always like to hear how others do their work.

I have finished rough trimming all three. The last plant took 49 minutes. Here is the full plant before the rough trimming.

And here is the skeleton. A note here is I took longer branches on some. I was running out of dry line so longer stems let me get more on the line with out crowding the colas to much. Some colas hang down farther with the stem where the other buds were at.

And next is two more cola weights. This gives me 6 in total.

And now the final picture is all three plants on the drying line. You can see some of the long branched colas hanging low.

I am about to head down and sweep up the mess. I will close the door up, hang a hygrometer, and put a fan in blowing lightly on the opposite wall.

My total for rough trimming and hanging comes to 136 minutes. So 2 hours and 16 minutes. I will have to look back at my time removing fans and add it to this.

DunHav`nFun

Well guys.....I`m gonna play Devil`s advocate and state scientific evidence @ Cannastats has always said pot`s 80% water and that`s what I always based my dry weights on after a wet trim and hang weight......Unc says 75% and I can tell you most market dope from knowledgeable growers hedge their weight and @ 75%/rather 25% inherent moisture is where they bag at for extra weight and bottomline payout , but I`ve never been able to snap a stem @ 25% moisture content.....that said.....

Once it was figured out by growers on the left coast "in their minds" that the optimum storage for dope , all the newfound pot snobs emulated the expensive cigar humidor RH percentages , and the NEW rules of "Cannabis storage" on properly dried and cured "flowers" turned into 62% RH OUTTA nowhere.....now.....I will say this.....

I never heard about any bitchin from growers , and the next thing that was come up with was the extra moisture was for preserving the "terpenes"......cuz the shit will still burn , and it may be somewhat stickier being that moist , but for my old ass......the best taste is when the stem will snap and the "bud" is kinda crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and burns easily.....but that`s just me......anyways.....

Ickster…..Thanks again for the in depth info on a REAL grow , blow by blow...…and Unc`s most likely spot on about the 75% moisture being the industry standard for market dope these days , as to where I like my shit drier for more flavor IME , but wtf do I know.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Well guys.....I`m gonna play Devil`s advocate and state scientific evidence @ Cannastats has always said pot`s 80% water and that`s what I always based my dry weights on after a wet trim and hang weight......Unc says 75% and I can tell you most market dope from knowledgeable growers hedge their weight and @ 75%/rather 25% inherent moisture is where they bag at for extra weight and bottomline payout , but I`ve never been able to snap a stem @ 25% moisture content.....that said.....

Once it was figured out by growers on the left coast "in their minds" that the optimum storage for dope , all the newfound pot snobs emulated the expensive cigar humidor RH percentages , and the NEW rules of "Cannabis storage" on properly dried and cured "flowers" turned into 62% RH OUTTA nowhere.....now.....I will say this.....

I never heard about any bitchin from growers , and the next thing that was come up with was the extra moisture was for preserving the "terpenes"......cuz the shit will still burn , and it may be somewhat stickier being that moist , but for my old ass......the best taste is when the stem will snap and the "bud" is kinda crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and burns easily.....but that`s just me......anyways.....

Ickster…..Thanks again for the in depth info on a REAL grow , blow by blow...…and Unc`s most likely spot on about the 75% moisture being the industry standard for market dope these days , as to where I like my shit drier for more flavor IME , but wtf do I know.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

I like mine between 50-55%. With 52% ideal. Then when I send it out it is not dust and I don't have to worry about it molding on the user. It is still a little wet and sticky. When you squish it into a pipe it will stay in there and spring back just a little. But to each their own. There are a million different strains because everyone wants something different. Same goes with the dry.

And DHF. It is my pleasure to give back. Wish more people would so that we all can learn more.:tiphat:

DunHav`nFun

Yeah Bro.....I`m with yas on the 50-55% thingy , but in a nutshell the whole damn relative humidity inside final containers versus inherent moisture content inside of the nuggage is confusing as fuck , but again I`ll say......I`ve never heard anyone bitch about their wet/moist dope supposedly @ 62% RH goin out the door since water`s free and wet dope`s heavier dope so hey.....win win huh ?......but.....

At 62% "in the bag" pot won`t mold or mildew won`t form , so again as long as the shit will burn , all the kiddies swear by the Bovedas so let em…..me?.....I was taught looooong ago and I`ve preached this for many many yrs that the easiest wayta KNOW when dope`s ready to bag , jar , bin , burp so on and so forth , is to get a cheap ass hardwood flooring moisture probe and it served me well for all my cropping days.....

I`m sure they still make em…..push the probe into the meat of any cola/nug hang dryin and it immediately registers moisture content.....simple.....babyshit…..anyways.....Eerrbody likes their shit the way they like their shit , so to each his own, but...…

If yas wanna know BEFORE you bag and tag yo shit......getchas a hardwood moisture meter/probe.....or just learn from runs under yer belt when you just know from doin this shit over and over, but I`ve always liked tools , so...….

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: ……...

SecondAttempt

I just finally got my shit running smooth the old way then I stumble across this.. Mr. Crane you are always raising the bar. Looks like it’s time to buy leds.

SecondAttempt

Could you point me in the direction of your light build or the references you used to get to this point. I like you am completely self taught from this forum, and over the years I’ve just followed your lead. Seriously you’ve impacted my life and success more than you could ever know.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Could you point me in the direction of your light build or the references you used to get to this point. I like you am completely self taught from this forum, and over the years I’ve just followed your lead. Seriously you’ve impacted my life and success more than you could ever know.

I learned a lot of it on Youtube. Then just cruising the Alibaba pages till I found something that would work. But it was a year and a half to 2 years ago so I can't really say where for sure because there was so much I read and watched.

If you have something in particular that you want to know just ask and I will try to answer.

I am glad I was able to help. Makes me happy that I can give back for what I got from here.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts