What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Today is day 63 of flower.

Here is the picture I took yesterday before I took fans off. If I showed the one from today it would not really be right since it is missing fans. So here is day 62 of flower and we will call it 9 weeks.

And here is the first day of flower.

Big change for just 62 days. And remember what I said in the beginning? I said that it would not hurt to trim as much as I did and that bending the plants all over would not as well.

Today when I was watering it looked like the plants dried out nicely. So I don't think I took to many fans. It is kind of a balancing act. And this time was perfect.

I didn't take any more fans tonight. I will get a few tomorrow instead.

I took a few bud shots while I watered. So these are from today.

If you look close you can see two or three amber tricombs on each bud. So I will get a few more pictures this week as it goes along.

When I look at the buds they have that dull white color. There is very little glint. And that is what I am seeing in the pictures also. Very few clear heads.

superpedro

Veteran
Looks great.
Love alternative grow styles.

I bet it is a lot easier to work with than my horizontal screen. I wish I had 4 foot arms..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I haven't seen a fungus gnat in a week or two. So I think the rove beetles ate them all.

I haven't seen the rove beetles either.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Today I removed more fans. This is what I removed the second time.

Here is what it looked like two days ago after I removed the fans the first time.

Here is what it looked like after removing the second set of fans tonight.

Not much different. I am going to wait three days before I take any more fans from them again.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Those are some tree trunks and fat colas Icky! I am doing a dry trim this time, and they are drying way slower. Usually they dry in like 3-4 days wet trimmed. This should be really smooth, and hopefully easier to trim.
I'm not a fan of long cures though, either. They seem to loose terps and become more generic tasting if they make it past the three week/one month mark. Too dry is even worse, because I'm a joint guy. Anything under 53% rh crushes in the paper and falls out of the ends. A friend got me a 62% humidity pack, but that's way too much. I try to keep it in the 53-55% butter zone.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Those are some tree trunks and fat colas Icky! I am doing a dry trim this time, and they are drying way slower. Usually they dry in like 3-4 days wet trimmed. This should be really smooth, and hopefully easier to trim.
I'm not a fan of long cures though, either. They seem to loose terps and become more generic tasting if they make it past the three week/one month mark. Too dry is even worse, because I'm a joint guy. Anything under 53% rh crushes in the paper and falls out of the ends. A friend got me a 62% humidity pack, but that's way too much. I try to keep it in the 53-55% butter zone.
I like it around 50-53. Then it sticks together a little and burns a little slower. And I don't have to worry about mold developing. Below that is OK down to about 46 but doesn't smoke as smooth and falls apart a little. Below 46 and it is to dry.

But 50-53 seems right when I send it out so I don't get it back because the buyer don't know how to manage the RH of the buds.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Today is day 65. Someone said something about the stems size. So I took a picture of that when I watered tonight.

Looks to be about a inch in diameter.

I took a couple of bud shots also. You can see the amber is coming out. Both buds have more amber than last time. Have a look for your self.

If you remember I said that this is 68 days but I run it 70. I might take them on Saturday which is 68. If not I have to take them on Sunday.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i may harvest on saturday too just because the watering cycle would have me watering that night so i would have to wait until monday...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
These photos are from day 66. This gives you a idea of what will grow out of just the tip bud site. This is almost a 9 inch cola. Yeah granted not all colas will be this long. Some will be shorter and some will be longer.

Here is the tip of that same cola.

So far I have 17 minutes into fan leaf removal. Tomorrow I will take some more fans. I will try to remember to get a few bud close up shots as well. I am thinking tomorrow will be the last day of flower before I take them Saturday night.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Today is day 67. I removed most of the remaining fans tonight. It left a large mess on the floor. I spent 34 minutes removing fans. So the total for fan removal comes to 48 minutes.

After I was done the screens look so bare. Still some fans left but I don't want to rough up the buds by digging in them to get to the back. So I will get the last fans tomorrow or Sunday when I harvest the plants. But here is what I have left after the removal.

Finally I will leave you with a few close up bud shots.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
It looks like several of the buds have grown straight out towards the light or is it that they grew up and bent over as their weight increased. Maybe it’s the art of attaching them to the screen, leaving just enough to flop horizontal towards the light achieving nice conical buds. Either way it looks like a nice frosty haul and to have a legal avenue to move it all is fine work. It’s been fun to follow and I appreciate the info.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
you should train the chickens to do that!

They are pretty busy making eggs. If they did the leaf removal I wouldn't get their unborn dead to eat.

It looks like several of the buds have grown straight out towards the light or is it that they grew up and bent over as their weight increased. Either way it looks like a nice frosty haul and to have a legal avenue to move it all is fine work. It’s been fun to follow and I appreciate the info.
If you remember in the beginning we talked about phototropic and geotropic. These are more geotropic. But I gently pulled them down towards the light then let the weight of the buds hold them down.

If they were more phototropic I would not have to pull them down. I find the phototropic plants tend to bend towards the floor more at this point. I am sure there are some that could resist that but I have not seen them. When that happens I use the clips to hold them up. I make a chain of tomato clips from the cola to the screen and hold them up. These plants are supporting them selves here.

I am glad you like the thread so far. Hopefully something you can use in your grows.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro.....Now that this run`s over , what`ve you come up with for a juice formula to compensate for said shortcomings …...rather is there a solution without addin a lil this and a lil that till they`re happy ?......Guess mix the shit up and see where the chips may fall huh.....anyways....here`s hopin your hydro-garden`s stuff works out ftw , so.Keep strokin Ickster …..You da man...….

Peace.....DHF....:ying: …….

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hey Bro.....Now that this run`s over , what`ve you come up with for a juice formula to compensate for said shortcomings …...rather is there a solution without addin a lil this and a lil that till they`re happy ?......Guess mix the shit up and see where the chips may fall huh.....anyways....here`s hopin your hydro-garden`s stuff works out ftw , so.Keep strokin Ickster …..You da man...….

Peace.....DHF....:ying: …….

I am going to go over that again this week while they are drying. When I have a little more time and it won't get posted between grow photo's. Hopefully I can get it worked out better so the next run is not affected like this run was.