What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Time to go vert!

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Ok guys, you probably saw my old thread asking how a noob should hang a bulb... after many delays (not due to not knowing how to hang it)... i finally hung it and this morning I got my first chance to take some decent pics.

There is still a lot of work to be done, here is a equipment rundown before the pics.

150w HPS bulb
50 CFM bathroom fan (not cutting it)
6" Flex duct for intake vent.
Fan under bare bulb

Idk what else to mention...

Things that still have to be done:
Install HEPA air filter on intake
cover all light leaks by wrapping cab in pond liner
seal up ducting well
Temps have to be worked on, the bathroom fan is not really cutting it anymore, maybe I HAVE to run the A/C all night...

Ok now for some pics...
overview of the room, with a can covering the HPS glare
picture.php

View image in gallery

Mystery pheno... this seed just popped up in a clone cup one day... I figured I had to see what it could do...

Clone of a CJxSB Ix1 male... lost my first male to neglect... this clone is ready to spread his magic dust all over tho...

This next one is BKGK Bx1, she is only 2 weeks old or so and has had the bulb vert it's whole flower cycle so far unlike some of the other girls you will see later... looks like she is shaping up to a nice structure, Will have to do some cleaning out tho.. already started a little bit... when is it too early to rip the back ends out?

Next is a bagseed found in a LB of something I picked up from a local guy, Vac seal was labeled OGxCD... whatever that means, figured it was worth growing out... This girl in flower is not very happy with me but I have clones looking much healthier and I think they will do better..

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Still have some more to show!

Next up is a female Chemmy Jones, this is the main target for the CJxSB Ix1 male... I think there will be some dank in those beans!

She has not had the vert bulb from the beginning of flower cycle and it kind of shows... next round with her should be one main cola...

Next are two beer cup clones of CBxDB Bx1. these are not going to produce much of anything worthy... strictly for being pollinated... they don't take up too much room luckily.

And finally a pic of the healthier looking clone of the OGxCD bagseed, I think a healthy start will help a lot...

I seemed to have accidentally deleted some pics but oh well, I think that is enough for now.

Questions, comments, concerns, advice, suggestions, criticism is all welcome!

G

GMax

glad to see you convert... gl with the grow !!

there isn't really a time when it too early to take of back side branches... but you can do it too late if you want too long into flowering to do it

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Ok, I lied about the cab dimensions... lol it is really something like 25"x28", give or take a half-inch to an inch...

Height is somewhere around 4ft...

All the plants were top dressed with some EWC this morning and watered in...

Can't wait to see the results I get from it, I will be posting pics in the coming days to compare the plants before the topdressing and after...

Anyone have any suggestions or anything? eventually I am going to need some screen/trellis of some sort...

I bought a 5'x15' trellis netting but it is kind of too big for the cab... I guess I could cut it in half or something... lol

ECSDxSSSDH testers, OGxCD (bagseed) clone, and chemmy jones clone will all be put into flower by the weekend... some need to stretch their feet out a little more before they get flipped... but we need to fill up the space!!

EDIT: damn we already got haters in here! Thanks for the neg rep buddy ;)

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ok, I lied about the cab dimensions... lol it is really something like 25"x28", give or take a half-inch to an inch...

EDIT: damn we already got haters in here! Thanks for the neg rep buddy ;)

You lied dude what do you expect. Just kidding I reped you. No not the neg you idiot. Haha.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
well that plant I am asking about is only 16 days in... I trimmed her up a little bit more this morning... I will complete the backside trimming tonight/tomorrow morning...

actual defoliation comes around week 4/5 tho right?

G

GMax

day 16 is ok.. you can begin defoliation after stretch is over.. I begin my defoliation after stretch, and every week after that or when necessary.....

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rock on with ya sour vert, bro...

Ladies looking solid for the most part. .
Interested in how you keep them controlled thru stretch ...

I'm a fan of using bamboo sticks to make custom trellis ..

You can find small trellis and bomboo at the 99¢ stores.

Got me a good seat for the show. ..

Work it. ....

:kewlpics:~:respect:~:lurk:~ :alien: ~:ying:

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
day 16 is ok.. you can begin defoliation after stretch is over.. I begin my defoliation after stretch, and every week after that or when necessary.....

thanks for the advice GMax! I decided to start this thread in the vert forum because I know you guys know your shit and I am looking for brutally honest opinions, I don't want to be told nice job if it doesn't actually look nice. so from here on out... don't hold anything back guys!

Rock on with ya sour vert, bro...

Ladies looking solid for the most part. .
Interested in how you keep them controlled thru stretch ...

I'm a fan of using bamboo sticks to make custom trellis ..

You can find small trellis and bomboo at the 99¢ stores.

Got me a good seat for the show. ..

Work it. ....

:kewlpics:~:respect:~:lurk:~ :alien: ~:ying:

unfortunately there isn't really any sour in there... I actually don't even have a sour clone... my name just kinda popped into my head, not very fitting for me tho lol maybe these ECSDxSSSDH testers will provide me with a nice SOUR pheno tho!

as far as controlling/training through stretch, I am open to suggestions! i like the sound of individual trellis so they can still be taken out if need be...

this round tho, most of them were flipped before the light went vertical so they already went through stretch, or lack there of...

let's see if I can get some Ages on these plants for you...

The first one pictured, Mystery pheno is only a week old so she has had the bulb vert the whole way and it shows imo... I will have to train her probably...

the male is young too, about a week or two, it shows, he is just there for some spare pollen.. then will be removed, no training necessary.

BKGK Bx1 was flipped with the bulb vertical and is the one that will need most training and defoliation, 17 days into flower now...

Bagseed, which is prob why i got that neg rep... is 32 days in and was flipped before the vert bulb and imo that plant just looks like shit but whatever, the clone about to go in is much healthier and I have high hopes. this plant is so weak looking tho i don't think any training will be necessary really.

chemmy jones was flipped before the vert bulb and is 47 days in. no training will be required. the clone I am about to flip tho, will require some training...

the two little beer cup clones will not be an issue, they are so small...

always good to another' con-vert':biggrin:,welcome sour........digging your cab,whats your plan for the plants and the 150?u keepin em short or letting them strech and train?(penetraion wise)and circumferencr?

:thank you:
pt

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Well bro, most of what you see in there now is atleast 2 weeks into flower, as I summarised in the last post, some will need training, some are already done stretching. For now I am just letting them grow as they please and see how they do. This is my first time running a vertical bulb so I am not sure how most of the strains are going to react...

Ideal plan would be multiple single colas stretching up to the ceiling... Have to find the perfect happy-medium with container size and size of clone at flip though...

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Hey bud.

Just found this thread in your sig. Have you scoped out Marlos wow thread? That's where I picked up a ton of tips on vert growing...

Love the way your cab came out. To improve your yield next run, try veging them out longer. Mine are about 1/2 to the top of my cab and I'm gong to flip then in a week or so.

Should be a great show your putting on. I love reading your commentary and we can tell you are learning a ton here. Keep it up :)
BeL

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Hey bud.

Just found this thread in your sig. Have you scoped out Marlos wow thread? That's where I picked up a ton of tips on vert growing...

Love the way your cab came out. To improve your yield next run, try veging them out longer. Mine are about 1/2 to the top of my cab and I'm gong to flip then in a week or so.

Should be a great show your putting on. I love reading your commentary and we can tell you are learning a ton here. Keep it up :)
BeL

Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
I have browsed Marlo's thread a few times but never gave it a real sit down and read. I wanted to copy his idea of netting the perimeter of the wall but in a small area it is a pain in the ass to put trellis netting up and make sure it is nice and tight so it actually works accordingly by yourself... lol i am going to give it another go tho with all the plants removed and the bulb off and not hanging in the way... i will try that once the new girls go in and the male is removed...

Yeah I think you are right for the amount of plants and size pots, a better veg would probably be good. I think if I did smaller clones flipped early with little veg time and increased plant numbers I could also maximize the space better, that will be more work though. Just have to figure out if I wanna go less plants with more veg or more plants with less veg. Lol suggestions welcome! For now we just have to get these current gals through flower and harvested!

Only problem I see with vegging them 1/2 way is if you don't have prior experience with the strains you could get an extreme stretcher and not be able to control it! Good luck bro! I'll be watching your thread as well!

I think if I did smaller clones flipped early with little veg time and increased plant numbers I could also maximize the space better, that will be more work though. Just have to figure out if I wanna go less plants with more veg or more plants with less veg. Lol suggestions welcome! For now we just have to get these current gals through flower and harvested!

I was thinking the same thing.MORE CLONES your cab is just over two feet wide and long and 4ft high.So if you could get a shelf to fit around your square 2ft high,and keep it narrow enough to have good penetration ,coz you can get close with the 150 no problem,then on each level you could do 4 -5 party cup clones flipped thats a total of 32 -40 clones .Much less veg times,just time needed to get the clones roooted fully,and 5grms min per/plant with 32 would put you over 1gr/watt,if you went the 40 plant root and kept them nice and short with 5gmr/min/plant that would put you around 1.5grm/watt,when you break it down it seems quite feasible?

goodluck!!!!
peace pt

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Yes the only problem I see with having two levels is the fact that i only have one bulb, and it is the "globe" style not the typical style that 400/600/1000w are... Would the 150w be able to give good enough light to both levels? That is a great idea though! I will check it out next time I look into the can and see if it looks possible. I just hope the light will penetrate the full 4 ft...

Yes the only problem I see with having two levels is the fact that i only have one bulb, and it is the "globe" style not the typical style that 400/600/1000w are... Would the 150w be able to give good enough light to both levels? That is a great idea though! I will check it out next time I look into the can and see if it looks possible. I just hope the light will penetrate the full 4 ft...

thinking about it yes,it will definately work,you just gotta be willing make some adjustments to your box.If you built the shelf half a foot wide around the perimeter,and put your 150 in the middle thats half a foot penetration from the plants at all times and they might grow an inch or two closer?? ,dropped the height of your shelves to 3 foot tall,so build it in the centre(1 and a half foot mark)because your clones would be staying short ?right?and you can have a foot space at the top of your cab,trust me!!you'll need it,for the hot air and humidity to hang around in before leaving your box ,also gives you space to mount your fan(pc type 1 or 2)and with it running 24 /7 sucking the air out your passives with continusly bring fresh o2/c02 through the bottom blowing up.

just some thoughts ,you'l find what works for you!!

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
I know I am good on sideways penetration, no doubt... I mean vertically... the bulb is a "globe" instead of the long narrow type bulb that most bigger wattages are. I will try to get a pic tomorrow to show... I just not sure how well the shelves will work, everything I saw with shelves usually had stacked bulbs, and if they didn't they had the longer narrower type of bulb...