What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Time to go vert!

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Ok, real quick.

Height and stretch problems with Marlo's WoW method are a thing of the past. If they grow too high, just pull the tops over to an empty space on the netting and fill the netting like someone would will a scrog. Does that make sense?

Two levels won't work well the way its been described here. The top level would have the bulb down near the plastic pots? That doesn't sound efficient... My :2cents:

If you want to go high plant numbers with this setup you should go out and get 2 or 3 of those shoe racks that go on the back of a door. Hang them on the sides of the cab and basically build a coloseum type setup with many smaller plants.

But again, I'd like less bigger plants vs more small ones (more plants = more headaches)
BeL

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Ok, real quick.

Two levels won't work well the way its been described here. The top level would have the bulb down near the plastic pots? That doesn't sound efficient... My :2cents:

But again, I'd like less bigger plants vs more small ones (more plants = more headaches)
BeL

This is exactly what I've been thinking but I still like the sounds of two levels if it will work but I'm afraid like you said on the top level the bulb would be down near the plastic pots... what if I had it on a perpetual system where one level is where they start and then get moved when the round before gets harvested, would that work? with the top level being where they start and then moving down? or should I do it the other way? I just can't stop thinking...

Plant numbers dictate yield...

budelight

Veteran

False!

picturenx.jpg

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran

LOL! While I don't like to compare Indoor and Outdoor, becuse they are two totally different types of growing with their own limiting factors... That plant took what 6 months to grow? Give me a yield on that plant and I'll show you how it could easily be pulled in 6 months with high plant numbers and then some probably!

bobblehead

Veteran
LOL! While I don't like to compare Indoor and Outdoor, becuse they are two totally different types of growing with their own limiting factors... That plant took what 6 months to grow? Give me a yield on that plant and I'll show you how it could easily be pulled in 6 months with high plant numbers and then some probably!

Please tell us about how indoor and outdoor growing are completely different, with their own limiting factors... I would like to learn about this. Last I checked, indoors we're trying to replicate the ideal environment in nature.

BTW... That field of monster plants is state legal. ;) Good luck with your 1,000 plant SOG and staying out of jail. Get popped with over 99 plants and you've committed a felony and have mandatory prison time.

Personally I don't think you're running enough light to be stacking plants on multiple levels. Keep them on the floor. Just my $0.02.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Personally I don't think you're running enough light to be stacking plants on multiple levels. Keep them on the floor. Just my $0.02.
Thanks for finally stopping in bobble. Even tho this is all you had to say... which I already came up with on my own...

Please tell us about how indoor and outdoor growing are completely different, with their own limiting factors... I would like to learn about this. Last I checked, indoors we're trying to replicate the ideal environment in nature.

BTW... That field of monster plants is state legal. ;) Good luck with your 1,000 plant SOG and staying out of jail. Get popped with over 99 plants and you've committed a felony and have mandatory prison time.

Well indoor, there are many limiting factors...

1) Lighting, I don't give a fuck how many HPS, LED, CMH's and whatever the fuck else they invented so far in a room... you are not beating the sun.

2) Medium, inside you can run big ass beds of living soil (like you said "trying to replicate the ideal environment") or you can pump em full of chems and grow huge ass buds... but never will you have the potential you do outdoors... no one is going to buy that much soil to run indoors, NEVER.

There's others but those are the two important ones.

For outdoors, The biggest limiting factor is, Location and your Team...

It may be legal but you still got to worry about Rippers and potentially Fed's if you go oversize which is another problem, it may be state legal but there is a limit where eventually the Feds will get invloved

And Team, a big OD operation is very unlikely to be run by 1 individual, you have to really be able trust your team/partners...

Lol is that good enough, or should I go farther?

Basically, I meant, neither one is really better until we are Fully Legalized and everyone can grow their own dope... Then obviously, OD wins in Spring, Summer, Fall, and start up the indoors for the Winter... lol

But for now , it just depends on what works best for the grower... Some are safer indoors, and can pull more in a year than they would OD because they wouldn't be able to have huge plots if they even risked it...

And let's face it, who grows ONLY Outdoors in Medville? I know there are some but I pretty sure that's Moonshine* from Rare Dankness and he has huge indoor warehourses... so..

EDIT: That might be GanjaRebel actually but either way...

bobblehead

Veteran
This is exactly what I've been thinking but I still like the sounds of two levels if it will work but I'm afraid like you said on the top level the bulb would be down near the plastic pots... what if I had it on a perpetual system where one level is where they start and then get moved when the round before gets harvested, would that work? with the top level being where they start and then moving down? or should I do it the other way? I just can't stop thinking...

I suppose my input isn't needed then if you have it all figured out. My bad.

:tiphat:

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Lol oh jesus. Let's just drop it for now. The OD thing had nothing doing in an indoor thread was my point...

As far as two levels, FROM the very first mention of it I said my setup probably wouldn't work for it. I liked the sound of it just because I knew I could fit more plants in there and probably harvest more often. But I knew it probably still wouldn't work well unless I could find some way where my small ass bulb could be blasting on the finishing buds and making the new one's stretch to the perfect height for them to be moved to the next level... IF it could work, It would be awesome but as I looked at my current plants and how my cab looks right now... It doesn't look like it, especially with everything being different ages...

First I need to get on a schedule!

budelight

Veteran
Sorry guys - didn't mean to start an argument over it. Just trying to change your mentality like someone did for me a year ago.

My first grow in recent history I made a short cab grow box which had about 18" of height. I tried growing a dozen smaller plants and when all was said and done I yielded about 3/4 an oz total... My last run with more height and two plants, I pulled almost 2 oz. Realizing that with vert it's about how much side budding the plant has and not just top buds or plant numbers.

It's great that you are reading and absorbing a ton here. I see you online about as much as me (icocd) and you will experiment and find out what works best for you. Take everyone's advise and then make your own decision <- this is my method.

If you want a lot of plants then go for it but it takes more effort to keep 30 plants healthy than it does to keep 6 healthy; from my experience the 6 will yield you more and bigger buds.

That's all I was trying to share with you.

Any updated cab/plant shots?
BeL

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Lol love the neg reps guys! Guess I asked for it when I said don't hold anything back... lol

Ok budelight, I agree more plants = more work BUT when done right (easier said than done) I think plant numbers always dictate yields UNLESS we are talking outdoors, which like I said is a whole nother ball game...

I want to keep generally larger plants, I DO NOT want to go back to beer cups... But I also don't know If I am ready to throw in my 5 and 7 gal smart pots...

No pics BUT the current plants in there, all but a few are done stretching or just about to stop And there is a lot of headroom wasted...

Asking for suggestions here, Bobble, I already know you think it's a shitty idea... LOL

If I took the current plants when they were done stretching and put them on an upper tier so the socket was even with their tops, and then put in a new round on the bottom... this would in turn cause them to stretch up and once they reach a certain height they could be moved up to the upper tier?

Let's make this clear... the bottom level would ONLY be used for plants just being flipped, up until they reach a certain height then they would be moved up to the bulb blasting on them sideways instead of making them stretch up?

So bottom tier will never have plants past week 4/5 down there...

Also I will NOT be running beer cups like Purple Turtle suggested... I will run Mini Tree Pots OR shorter, wider plastic square pots that I have... Something like 6-8 plants on each tier...

I will get some pics up to better demonstrate later on...

Really this idea is just to get shit on a more perpetual cycle and help clear out my Veg area of all these excess clones I have!

growbig789

in my cab, 2'x4' with about 3' vertical on average i've found that for me 3 gal pots are as big as I use. I wouldn't be able to take full advantage of a 5 or 7 gal pot. That being said, yield wise it ends up similar regardless if I stuff it full of all 1 gallons (i can fit about 12-14), 2 gals (7-8) or 3 gals (fits 6). I've gone with the 3's most of the time I think the plants look nicer overall and yes, I agree with budelight its easier to deal with less plants total. Don't have to water as often, rootbound issues not really a problem. Small containers dry up quick!

budelight

Veteran
I'm all for perpetual... Arnt you going to be moving soon to a new place? If your anything like me, you will want to expand and redo your grow setup. Why not just wait on expanding till then and go through the motions with what you already have setup? I'll get my threads updated over the weekend hopefully and you can determine if a setup/method like mine is right for you. Also, might want to pickup a new fan like mine so u can eliminate smells before they begin to REEK!

Wicked excited for the strains you have going atm. You will do great this harvest and remember. The plants grow themselves, your job is to not screw that up :)

Happy friday, wishing it were 5pm already...
BeL

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Yeah for now it is staying as is... I'll upload pics tomorrow... I have a 6" Fan but just don't know if I should set it up... Bobble says it will be too much airflow but I talked to Representatives from Vortex and Phresh and said after all my dialing down I will be somewhere around 60-100 CFM. I might exhaust veg and flower with the same fan...

would it be smart to put veg or flower first in line?
For example,
In Veg>out veg>In flower>out flower>end of line OR
In flower> out flower> in veg> out veg> end of line?

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Alright here are some pics... some of the plants pictured are not acutally flipped yet just put in the circle for the picture to give perspective of what it is about to look like very soon after the two plants in the bottom left of the pic stretch their roots out some more... also the male in the back will be taken out soon.. and the chemmy jones only has 2-3 more weeks to go so that will clear up more space...

Mister_D

Veteran
First let me say, welcome to the darkside sour :biggrin: That said, a couple suggestions.

1. For the love of all that's good and holy, NEVER question if you should turn on the a/c when the exhaust isn't cutting it. Environment above all else! That is one of the most important things any grow should remember, vertical or horizontal.

2. Read ALL of marlo's WOW thread.

3. Read my bro spagetti's thread. Might be some ideas for ya in there ;) ;) https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=255937

4. Ideally you would trim all "sucker" branches prior to the first day of flower. However if you missed some, it's ok to trim them at any time during flower. IF there are a lot of sucker branches remove them in two sessions a 4-5 days apart to help with stunting.

5. Defoilation begins at the end of stretch and continues as needed until harvest. The rule of thumb is stretch usually last through 40% of the flower period (i.e an 8 week plant usually stretches for ~3-3.5 weeks)

6. Not sure about the penetration abilities of a 150w bulb. Doesn't matter if it's globe shaped or the normal tube style, light throw is the same.

Avinash miles twisted towers thread might be good for some ideas also :biggrin: Just depends on where you want to steer this monster.

Don't underestimate the smell. I have to deal with smell for the first time in 28 yrs. Just took down 6 four ft plants and I could smell them out in my driveway. Talk about paranoia! That was with a 24" filter and 6" fan.
Going with the biggest filter I can find for the new room.
Could you raise the light and plants to have the light bounce off the ceiling? Defoliation will help too..
I bet a cfl in each corner would increase yield..

Anyhow, nice collection, cool cab. I love to watch guys maxing out small spaces.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
First let me say, welcome to the darkside sour :biggrin: That said, a couple suggestions.

1. For the love of all that's good and holy, NEVER question if you should turn on the a/c when the exhaust isn't cutting it. Environment above all else! That is one of the most important things any grow should remember, vertical or horizontal.

2. Read ALL of marlo's WOW thread.

3. Read my bro spagetti's thread. Might be some ideas for ya in there ;) ;) https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=255937

4. Ideally you would trim all "sucker" branches prior to the first day of flower. However if you missed some, it's ok to trim them at any time during flower. IF there are a lot of sucker branches remove them in two sessions a 4-5 days apart to help with stunting.

5. Defoilation begins at the end of stretch and continues as needed until harvest. The rule of thumb is stretch usually last through 40% of the flower period (i.e an 8 week plant usually stretches for ~3-3.5 weeks)

6. Not sure about the penetration abilities of a 150w bulb. Doesn't matter if it's globe shaped or the normal tube style, light throw is the same.

Avinash miles twisted towers thread might be good for some ideas also :biggrin: Just depends on where you want to steer this monster.

1) Weather has been weird lately, really hot weeks, and then weeks where it feels like fall... so I never know how to predict what the cab will be like come night time... Either way, lesson learned... A/C stays on until it gets cooler...

2 & 3) i'll check em out plus avinash mile's... looks like I got a lot of reading to do...

4) thanks, for future reference!

5) Sweet, I think I knew most of that... but some re assurance is always good...

6) agree, amount of light is the same but does it have any effect on the amount of Vertical lighting? Let me draw a rough sketchup to show what I am talking about...

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
SS, you do realize that what produces the light in the HPS lamp is the vertical arc tube, which is the same regardless straight or globe shaped bulb.

Some bulbs do come with a specific operating position, but other than that its just a shape.

Latest posts

Latest posts