What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st vert grow - blueberry headband

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hi guys,

I've been on hiatus after a fat ass dose of bad luck, some my of my own making, the rest just bad juju I guess?!?!

Anyways, I've decide to take a stab at vert. Plants are looking a lil tired in the pics as they've just gone from 1L pots of coco into 6L pots ( that's 1 gallon to 2 gallon for you Yanks &Canadians :tongue: ) and then been watered to run off, this was like 4 days ago and they've bounced back and grown nicely since.

I've still gotta set up the auto watering via blumats and get the trays down in the tent. So ignore the mess on the floor etc.

The plants are 2 different blueberry headband clones I grew out in my last crop from seed. The beans came from Emerald Triangle Seeds and these are the 2 biggest yielding plants with a good bit of stretch to them.

Hopefully they get to about 3'. Most are currently about 1.25'... I've just flipped them to bloom, I know I could've done with vegging them another week but I'm very impatient lol!! Plus this is kinda an experiment just to see what they can do in the short time they did get vegged & using vert lighting.

I've noticed that plants tend to be a lot more bushy vegging under vert which for my purposes is good. The more heads the better right??

The lamp is hung about 1' above the tops and I'll probably leave it there unless they stretch way pass it. In which case I may even stick another 600w in there if it looks worthwhile, or just move the lamp up to ensure they're getting good lighting.

Criticism and comments welcome, like I said it's my first attempt at vert so no need to be polite :moon: haha!

Hope to put on a half decent show, with fairly regular updates... Let the chips fall where they may!

S

sweetestsin420

nice setup,what size light and room is it,didnt see it in your post

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thanks sweetestsin420,

The light is a 600w and the tent is 1.2m x 1.2m.

A few more details, using canna coco with canna coco a&B plus some ata clean, H&G root stim, bcuzz coco stim, budlink silicone and weekly foliar of maxicrop seaweed extract.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I Ordered some of these 2 ..how does is smoke ,taste smell ?

They're very nice mate, these 2 clones are quite a like smell and smoke wise. One is slightly better than the other. Smell is slightly diesel esque on one of them and the other smell is a bit harder to place. Order them mate, you won't be disappointed. Check my old thread on them in my signature.

What's up RIL thanks for stopping by bro, blumats rock! Not as good as multi feed drip sys imho but not far behind either. Stay tuned mate!

sweets, do you mean a net around the bulb or on the walls to train the plants? I was planning to let them grow as they wished but will get some mesh around the lamp to ensure they don't get burned.

S

sweetestsin420

i mean trying the trellis on the walls,as far as you want from the bulb,but the net would stop the branches from growing INTO the hot ass bulb,and killing them,that seems like a small place for a vertical using a 600watter.im very into the vertical pics iv seen so far.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
from what I've read in here mate horizontal is the preferred choice for veg to stack the nodes etc

I think DHF mentions it in sqydros thread

was thinking blumats for the moms mainly mate I gotta water those twice a day as I keep the pots smallish

peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
i mean trying the trellis on the walls,as far as you want from the bulb,but the net would stop the branches from growing INTO the hot ass bulb,and killing them,that seems like a small place for a vertical using a 600watter.im very into the vertical pics iv seen so far.

I plan to tie them back when they start getting to close to the bulb. As the bulb is still higher than the plants they haven't yet started to grow to much towards it. They are still growing pretty much straight up.

Space wise the light is fine for from what I can tell so far. Temps are 24-29c. and the fan is never running over half it's capacity. I'll probably tie them back at day 14, or before if they start to make an attempt to stretch into the bulb. From what I can remember from seed they stretched until day 21.

from what I've read in here mate horizontal is the preferred choice for veg to stack the nodes etc

was thinking blumats for the moms mainly mate I gotta water those twice a day as I keep the pots smallish

peace

yeah I read the same thing about horizontal vegging, to get plants taller. Vert veg makes em bushy though I can tell you that much lol.

I've hooked my blumats up now and there getting EC2.0 (the water straight from the tap is 0.4-0.5EC).

They're growing nicely now and looking really healthy... think the tallest is about 1.5' with 14 or so days of stretch left. Fingers crossed they max out at 3' but more than likely be more like 2-2.5'. Mutliple heads though, and if these fill in anything like the moms did it should be a decent grow.

Few pics from today, sorry about the lighting. Will get better ones in a few days time

peace

edit>> I'm actually thinking about lowering the light.... any thoughts on this? It's currently just under a ft above the tops of the plants

Greeco

the plants look beautiful buddy. respect. Btw how do you think those blumats would do in a 24 plant site garden?

Quote:

peace

yeah I read the same thing about horizontal vegging, to get plants taller. Vert veg makes em bushy though I can tell you that much lol.

Check.

No diffirence in setup there. Horizontal setup with plant in the middle will be better during vegitation.

I.m.o. early devellopment of nodes should be supported with optimals to get the best out of it in a latter stage. Illumination from above is required to get it. Then when the node grows leafs illumunation is not spread equally over the node in that setup. One side will grow into the light while the other side grows towards the side of the tent. Dunno how to make it much clearer but I think this will do.

Greets

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Excellent

Excellent

:woohoo: Hi mate, really glad to see take the plunge :)......Welcome to the dark side!

Everything looks good, keep the bulb where it is, you want the base of the bulb to be at the top of the canopy, keep pulling it up to the end of flower stretch then lower it, for indicia dominate strains you want a decent stretch, you'll reap the rewards.

I'm hoping for regular updated :), how about the riri and OGK, how are they?

All the best for this man,
HGO

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Btw how do you think those blumats would do in a 24 plant site garden

Most I've run was 14 and they did fine once dialled in which can take a couple of days 4 at most. Lazyman ran a bunch of them though I think it 50+ so I'm sure they'd do just fine.

Thanks for your insight Hushem, I've taken my relfectors apart :D so I have none to hang even if I wanted to. But lesson learned all the same. Appreciate the input.

Sup HGO! Thanks for stopping by :)

Dark side seems good thus far man, I've pulled the bulb back up as I could tell they were not stretching as quickly as before I dropped it into the canopy. These plants had quite a big stretch from seed, but that could just be down to the short veg they got, they have sour D in em plus another stertchy strain I forgot the name of now so I hope they still have some growing to do yet.

The OGK and Riri are doing ok after getting rid of the thrips feckin spidermites decided to rear the ugly little head! I've managed to get rid of all pests now, so I may finally get to put them into bloom too soon.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I got some super sour Og and sour lemon Og from Et I dnt know how good the ss og and sl og is the fem gear sucks hermi city in my experience but I didnt know that they dnt make the fems they only make the reg seed in cali the fems are made in Europe by other people from what ET told me stand up guy though told him about my problem and he sent me out 2 10 packs free of charge So i'll get to them one of these days your's look bomb though!

L

lordofthenugz

Lord Of The NugZ's Octagonal Prism Fall Mother Hunt

Lord Of The NugZ's Octagonal Prism Fall Mother Hunt

Double post

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Prodigygrower, your right about them not making their fems and them being made in Europe (probably Spain and Holland), but fortunately I had no problems with hermies. I only ran a 5 pack though.

Thanks lordofthenugz :)

Cheers Ichabod, I hope they stretch for another 2 weeks with the bulb being higher than they are. So far they're growing well like this. I need to start cutting away the smaller sucker branches that will not produce much in the next few days. I was going to start today but I've noticed some of these sucker branches have now grown into decent shoots that will produce nice lil nugs. Giving them 3 or 4 more days then I'll start hacking.