What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600w Blumats with 3 Plants in Turface/Perlite

D

DaveTheNewbie

so just to recap, you are confident that you can grow really well with blumats and 100% turdface?
I would love to move away from coco due to the messiness of it. Running pots with rocks in them would be much nicer.

Im trying to understand your first few posts. Do you plant in a bucket with drain holes or without? The thing about the PPK tire valve lost me.
Could you see a smartpot with turdface and blumats working?

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hi Dave. I'm confident it can be, but how well..I don't know. I'm going to be taking them down this weekend, so I'm waiting to see myself. I'm using Turface MVP mixed with some perlite. 100% Turface works well as you can see in the earlier posts from Delta9 in the PPK thread. You will also find the "tailpiece" that is under the bucket which is basically a single 1.5" drain hole...no other holes.

I don't see why they wouldn't work in smart pots, but that would be very different than what I've done. I suggest getting your hands on turface and playing with it first. It stays wet forever, but if it's dry and in a smart pot, it's going lose a lot of water though Blumats can replenish that. I never wanted to use coco myself as that means a run to the hydro store and risk of bringing in contamination. Hope this helps :)

D

DaveTheNewbie

Hi Dave. I'm confident it can be, but how well..I don't know. I'm going to be taking them down this weekend, so I'm waiting to see myself. I'm using Turface MVP mixed with some perlite. 100% Turface works well as you can see in the earlier posts from Delta9 in the PPK thread. You will also find the "tailpiece" that is under the bucket which is basically a single 1.5" drain hole...no other holes.

I don't see why they wouldn't work in smart pots, but that would be very different than what I've done. I suggest getting your hands on turface and playing with it first. It stays wet forever, but if it's dry and in a smart pot, it's going lose a lot of water though Blumats can replenish that. I never wanted to use coco myself as that means a run to the hydro store and risk of bringing in contamination. Hope this helps :)

it helps awesomely, now i just have to digest it

catman

Veteran
I still didn't get 1 g/w, but I sure did get better sized nugs. I'm just popping a few seeds so I can't complain. The root structure was more uniform and completely free of any ringing roots a the bottom. Air roots from the top to the bottom of the tail piece.

The roots separated so well with the medium. I dumped the medium out, mixed it up some, and put it back in the buckets. How is that for lazy/easy-going? Ran about 3gal of water through em and no dust after the first minute of draining. Two plants were transplanted with the hail on them and wow the roots grew huge through them. So, this go I'm using the hail on the top few inches anticipating a thicker upper root structure. My seeds are unsexed so there is two a crossed from each other. Despite how much the plants leaned, the roots were still evenly distributed.

Last edited:

catman

Veteran
I'm a legal medical marijuana patient and if a state is going to treat me as a marijuana addict instead of *gasp* trying to help me; I gosta to be movin again..

That being said, thoughts and mantras for the future...

Make a new reservoir that has a lot of surface area exposed to air and have a continuously operating pump breaking the surface tension. An inline pump and/or a 12V bubble maker for boats. This res will be for clean water only so my 5 gal res should be fine for a feeding res. A small pump on a timer will be added to this one. I do not plan to recirculate, but I will meticulous document my pH,EC, and temperatures in and after reservoirs. What I had been doing this previous grow was essentially mixing up every batch prior to flushing as a full feeding session although I changed what I was using and when for minor details. It's time to get away from Fox Farm and go with a single solution to remove a lot of variables, finances, waste, and effort in general. I think an investment in a light and tensio meter will pay off. I will for sure continue to use at least 2 blumats per container because any drought is going to cause irreversible damages. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but if I would have had 4 clones of the AK strain, I would have gotten 1g/w despite all of my short comings. Now, I'm wondering if I'm going to have any of Fred's sucker branches to pluck off if some more 600s are added :D I won't be aiming to blast as much light into a smaller portion of the plant as that also adds the heat. Yas really do gotta manage the environment and keep that light bouncing all around :ying: I finally get it...:thank you:

D

DHF

All things in time Bro....Good luck wherever yas end up and Holler if I can help.....

Peace.....Freds.....:ying:.....

catman

Veteran
Thanks Fred. I'm headed to Washington State and I will be needing some help once I figure out my location and when the legislation is more specified. I'm all about FREEDOM and PEACE. I follow the rules and the only justice I can get from those who do not is the same old game; out growing em! That being said, I'm willing to share my experiences with the aspirations that others are doing the same. Shame, fear, guilt, procrastination, and prosecution will weed out those not supporting the cause.

Anyway, I just found these on a memory card and figured I would share before they are lost. The pics were taken I don't know how many weeks after the plants were harvested and as you can see, a share of the rootball tore off. I also figured I'd share because I'm not seeing a whole lot from others...

picture.php

picture.php

Hows those look compared to Lava Rocks?

D

DHF

Are those "Sure to grow" chunks Bro ?......Roots make shoots no doubt....

Good luck and take care......

Peace.....DHF......:ying:....

catman

Veteran
Yup and when transplanted the rootball was laid sideways. That wasn't an ideal situation, but sharing anyway. Holy shit can those roots grip on to them cubes.

catman

Veteran
Oh shit! 400-500sq^2 ..Don't think I'll be doin 26 flip tents anytime soon, but that's a hell of a lung room, eh? Basement to boot so fuck a minisplit. Will have to keep the bottom buckets off the concrete and with the ceiling being about 6ft..I feel pretty good about what I've been practicing :) Gunna take some time and work before I have anything worth saying, but while some people are busy addin more tailpieces, bigger pumps, bigger oxygen deprivation lines, bigger buckets,etc...fuck it! I think I'll just add some more drip lines, strains, and of course some lights :D

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
in an attempt to get the drama off of FF's thread i'm going to post this here.

sole result of google search for the term "conitrogenast"

"Farmer's Funky Flower Trees - PPK - Page 6 - International ...
www.icmag.com › ... › Growers Forums › Vertical / Colosseum Growing
1 post - 1 author - 6 hours ago
... how could anyone look at someone's rep and cast judgement upon content if a cat can't catch a clue how buds smoke in conitrogenast with a ..."

get back on your medication!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
WTF just happened?

well dave, you know how an old vinyl record would jump track and skip when it was damaged? pretty much the same thing!

we have someone who is pissed off and feeling alienated, cut off, or separated from the rest and is in pain and taking it out on everybody else.

this probably stems from events that occurred during their childhood and has been brought forward through time much the same as a set of luggage.

i know these wondrous things because similar stuff has happened to all of us, one form or another. me, you, and everybody else.

but at some point you just have to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
that was so fuckin good i had to listen to it twice! how do you like those lyrics? great, huh?

so incredibly profound!

getting enough attention now?