What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's green and it has a hole in the middle (600w)

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran

Stage: Day 13 of 12/12
Light: 600w HPS
Strains: TWxPD and a bagseed clone
Medium: Hand watered (!) coco/perlite in 3 gallon Smart Pots
Dimensions: something like 4x4.5ish. Maybe 8.5ish high.
Extraction fan: 320cfm no filter needed unless it gets super obscene stinky.
Bulb fan: 90mm Delta PC fan sitting on a RocketPot (like a tall skinny square Air Pot)
Nutes: Maxigro and now Maxibloom. SilikaMajic (only started recently). I also run some pond bacteria/enzyme type of thing in a bottle. I also gave them all molasses tonight since I couldn't find my Epsom and one has mag def showing.
PH & EC meters: HARD MODE (none)
Water: Low EC tap & occasionally rain
Favorite colour: Blue.

Hi! This is my second hps grow. My first attempt at a donut ended up more like a tubular jungle and was pretty underwhelming. I wasn't reading icmag tips/grows at the time so I didn't realise things like bulb height were so important. I also only realised this grow that my extraction fan was set on low, lol.

I made a few big improvements in the cab too and it all seems to be paying off. I also switched it up this round from bagseed to the awesome Trainwreck x Princess Diesel. These are new seeds from a very generous 'magger since I lost the ones I was growing a while back. A gentleman and a scholar you are, thanks.

There's three of the Trainwrecks and two clones of the only bagseed pheno that I liked. I also had a bagseed clone spare so that's still in veg and will go outside in some weeks or so.

Here's the stumpy TW I take out of the doorway to allow access:

Another TW:

Please feel free to comment on anything. In fact I got a question:

Should I remove those side bits for better air flow? And does it matter that I have a pretty low grow but a high ceiling? Do people ever use like a mini chinahat or similar when the bulb is raised high?

Thanks for lookin! Happy 420.

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The eye of the storm... :woohoo: Glad to see you're rolling vertical.

I've wondered about the "hat" idea. I'd like to try one if I ever go vert. Not sure if the bracket affects air flow. It might retain heat but probably not enough to raise canopy temps.

Have a great weekend.

NE1

Wow, thats beautifull...what big healthy leaves!
Strain sounds very nice :)
handwatering coco in smartpots...guess, you'll be buisy.
good luck
:) NE1

Dr 4 four

Not sure if the bracket affects air flow. It might retain heat but probably not enough to raise canopy temps.

I would have to agree, it kind of acts like a heatsink for the socket. I think it is a solution in search of a problem kinda situation for ya since your still getting the hang of things.

WHATISMADANASVAGINA?

It's a weed anus, way too small for madges vj

picture.php

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha. Cheers fellas. Hey that's an interesting point about the heatsink effect. Alright alright I won't mess with it :D

D

detoneSmoker

chairs pulled up big guy. Glad your finally gonna show your full grow!

havesum2

lookin good so far. cant wait to see the new donut finish
I would trim those fan leaves and get more flow imho.

Good growing!
Hav

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I would not trim till after the stretch is over then take what is not in the light out. I have trimmed in stretch before and ended up with less bud and a longer flower time.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Gratz!

Glad to see Pop's seeds crossing an ocean and doing well on a big island. :D

As for the vigor? MMmmmmm Beefy! LOL Glad you're enjoying.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

D

detoneSmoker

I would def take those sides off....what could it hurt? only effect it would have is allowing better air flow around the light...

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hello! Thanks everybody! Sorry to not reply individually to everybody, it'd just take too long.

Detone, I'm thinking to leave them on so I can try a mini china hat next run.

Hydro, honored to have you here. I hope doc gets to see this. It must be so great to have a dream like that & see it turn into a reality all over the globe. Cheers.

Here are some from last night. First, this is the rig powering the bulb fan. I adjust the speed (noise) so it's level with the extraction fan in the roof. This grow is in a closet beside my bed and I run lights at night.

Here is Stumpy TW:

Here is the bagseed clone at the front left:

Here is the biggest plant, the mag def bagseed clone at the rear right of cab. The molasses seems to be working, slowly:

Group shot of all but the stumpy TW:

My intended approach, based on rushing around this forum a couple of weeks ago, is to keep the bulb high in stretch (I probably should rise it tonight I guess). I stopped removing leaves shortly after 12/12 commenced, and will resume, but I'm not sure at this point when I should restart. I should add that during this stretch, I do actually remove some leaves, but I really limit that. It's like one leaf per plant per couple of days, and only if it's close to the bulb and causing a large shadow.

Soon I'll attach wires and get everything spaced nicely. Occasionally I'll crush a stem to keep the overall heights in check. You might see some tent pegs that I use for training, and I also push/tuck all the rear branches to the front anytime I spot them.

Have a fantastic day.

someotherguy

Veteran
hey Scrub, have you seen Marlo's W.o.W. thread? ...he's doing some pretty cool stuff i think you'll enjoy checking out.

The W.o.W. Thread by Marlo

...here's a couple pics of his work to whet your whistle, lol.

someotherguy-albums-others-work-picture8898-marlo-0009.jpg

...here's a shot of his light yoyo, ...it moves the twin lights up and down rather than side to side.
someotherguy-albums-others-work-picture8893-marlo-0006.jpg

anyway, i'll bet you enjoy the show over there if you haven't already found it yourself.

peace, SOG

Lowman

Lookin good....but I would replace that poor excuse for a fan blowing up to a real fan. That thing ain't doin shit. Go to wally world and pick up the 20"ish fan that will spin on it's axis to point upwards. It's only like $25ish. Well worth it.