What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mister D's Vertical Redemption

Mister_D

Veteran
After a rather disappointing harvest due to root aphids, and other smaller problems (link in my sig) i'm going to try and redeem myself. Fortunately this is merely an experimental room, and not my main production area. Still it's a blow to any growers ego to have a less than satisfactory harvest. Anyway enough sentiments. The bloom room houses a single 600w phantom ballast with a vertically hung agrosun bulb (prefer ushio's, but agrosun is a close second). Both are well built (withstand digital ballasts no problem) and serve their purpose quite well. Juice for this run will be PBP Bloom for soil and coco with added cal-mag. I'm not big on additives, but will use a couple this run that I have found to be beneficial. Strains are jack herer, 3 phenos selected last grow from my satori f2 seeds, romulan, and a mystery seed I found when I moved into this spot. More might be added in the coming weeks if space permits. Media is a recycled blend of mostly GH cocotek, napa floor dry, and residual amounts of happy frog. Currently hand watering, but i'm considering setting up a drip system.

Veg - Fed from clone through first 40% of flowering period
200-300ppm tap water
15 ml per gal biothrive grow (This proved a little too strong, switched back to h3ads ratio. 5ml biothrive grow + 5ml biothrive bloom)
5-10ml per gal. cal-mag plus
5ml per gal. ful-power fulvic acid
5ml per gal. dynagro protekt silica
5ml per gal. EM+

Bloom
Tap water
10ml per gal. PBP Bloom soil & coco
5ml per gal cal-mag plus
5ml per gal. ful-power fulvic acid
5ml per gal. dynagro protekt silica
5ml per gal. EM+

Bloom formula is untested for me, but is based on shroomdr's bloom recipe (He uses only PBP bloom and cal-mag). I'll adjust as required.

Juice from the last grow. 5ml per gal each mimics h3ad's coco recipe. Worked quite well, but biothrive doesn't seem like it would play well with a drip system, hence the switch to PBP.

picture.php

Juice for this round. Think I could have just used some epsoms for mag as my tap contains plenty of calcium already. Tom hill has me convinced me loads of calcium is a beneficial though and so far no problems. I trust tom.....

picture.php

These are the additives. Spinosad is being added at 15ml per gal. to battle any bad bugs that may still be in the root system (I dumped all infected media). I have read mixed reviews on it's effectiveness with root aphids, but so far it seems to be working. Maybe because I got rid of the RA, maybe not, but it's not hurting anything so whatever. EM+ is added to keep the res from going stagnant (been 5 days with biothrive and no smell, normally that stuff goes bad in 2-3 days), plus it has many beneficial effects in the media (makes roots grow like crazy, protects from root rot, builds healthy bioshpere, etc.). I recommend everyone look into em+, stuff has a million and one uses in and out of the grow room. Fulvic is added for it's chelating properties. Silica for stem wall strength, and according to crazy composer better burn properties. Fish for a nitrogen boost if needed, or mixed with bloom to make a veg formula. Molasses for carbs and micro minerals, when I feel like it. PH down is pretty self explainatory.

picture.php

Random shot of some things in the veg room

picture.php

picture.php

Jack herer mother about a week ago at start of 12/12. She's around 3 ft wide and just as tall.

picture.php

Group shots of the satori's and mystery seed

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Shot of the mystery seedling

picture.php

Forgive the hps, i'll try and remember to snap some updated shots with the lights off in the next few days. It looks like an nitrogen or mag def in some of the pictures, but it's just the lighting. Everything is healthy and green.

sgapetti

Veteran
very nice, i was following your winner and keeper phenos, hopefully this time we will see them in their full splendor . Also the jack herer is going to be very interesting ,is that a special pheno you selected ? Winter is here and is going to be long, is going to be fun to follow this grow.:wave:

Mister_D

Veteran
Hoping to bring them to full potential this round. I kept the winner, keeper, and a skyrocket pheno that has a much better structure this time around. The jack herer is a clone I picked up awhile back. Came through a friend of friend so I know little about it's origins. I have run it a few times now though. She flowers for 12 weeks, but can be cut at nine and is still better than 90% of herb out there. Yields heavy as fuck, and AAA quailty. I have a romulan cut that will be going into flower next week also.

bobblehead

Veteran
let's talk a bit about the RA... Cause they're no joke. Did you treat your veg plants with imid? If you haven't already I would treat everything that's not in late flower with Bayer tree & shrub or Ortho MAX. You want to be certain they're dead. Spinosad works well for thrips... But i'm telling you Imid is the shit for RA. It looks like you're going for a mostly organic approach... In which case I think that if horticulture oil doesn't work, which is also going to kill your beneficials, then you have to cull everything and start clean. A RA infestation might not manifest itself until flower when it's too late.

my plants have an adverse reaction to imid, so they need time to recover... But better than a RA infestation.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And Bobble knows about RA infestation....(shiver) SO glad I have never had to deal with those little monsters yet (fingers - crossed).

Good luck bro pulling up a seat!

Grizz

Veteran
i would rather have spider mites than those little RA bastards, the Bayer does work but even at 10 imes the recomened dose it wouldent kill them all for very long, it did help a bunch though, treating with mepp 52 at present, hoping for a 100 % kill.

Maina

Veteran
i would rather have spider mites than those little RA bastards, the Bayer does work but even at 10 imes the recomened dose it wouldent kill them all for very long, it did help a bunch though, treating with mepp 52 at present, hoping for a 100 % kill.
what is mepp 52

Grizz

Veteran
what is mepp 52
i mis spelled it bro, met 52, there is a big thread on it on the farm, seems to be the answer but i will let you know how it works for me. im sure if you goggle it you can get some info, there is a small thread on ic about it in the infermery forum.

Mister_D

Veteran
Drip system is a go.

Drip system is a go.

lurk lurk lurk.
One Q good to see you around :tiphat:

let's talk a bit about the RA... Cause they're no joke. Did you treat your veg plants with imid? If you haven't already I would treat everything that's not in late flower with Bayer tree & shrub or Ortho MAX. You want to be certain they're dead. Spinosad works well for thrips... But i'm telling you Imid is the shit for RA. It looks like you're going for a mostly organic approach... In which case I think that if horticulture oil doesn't work, which is also going to kill your beneficials, then you have to cull everything and start clean. A RA infestation might not manifest itself until flower when it's too late.

my plants have an adverse reaction to imid, so they need time to recover... But better than a RA infestation.

I was hesitant to use the imid, but the more I thought about it I figured i'd just go ahead and dose them. So yea everything from clones to flowering plants got a dose last week. The clones are having a hard time with it. The veg and flower plants have stunted a bit also, but seem to be picking back up again. I do try to keep things as organic as possible, but i'm not above using chems if the situation calls for it. I also tossed all infected media.

And Bobble knows about RA infestation....(shiver) SO glad I have never had to deal with those little monsters yet (fingers - crossed).

Good luck bro pulling up a seat!

Glad to have you on board mega, i've been lurking in your thread. Love what you've got going on. I unfortunately have now experienced the RA as well, so I can say with confidence you're damn lucky to have never gotten the fuckers. Hope you never get em.

Thanks for the tip joesy. I'm hoping I don't have a resistant variety, but i'll look into the met 52 just in case. Stick around for the show. I've been lurking in your grow also.

what is mepp 52
Mania love what you do with the trees. Looking forward to your greenhouse run :dance013:

Mister_D

Veteran
Drip system is a go.

Drip system is a go.

Update time. I've been slacking a bit it seems, just really busy with life. Plants are doing fine. Not stretching as much as I expected, but they have another 3-4 weeks of stretch left so we'll see. Switched the feed to h3ads 6/9 ratio (GH biothrive at 5ml grow + 5ml bloom per gal.) with 10ml cal-mag per gal. in veg and 5ml per gal. in flower. Decided it was time start a drip system for flower. Picked up a hydrofarm 550 GPH pump (overkill I know :laughing:) from the hydro whore store, and grabbed the poly, fittings, etc from home de pot. This is what I came up with:

Running 5 plants off of a 550 GPH pump results in mini fire hoses, unless of course some of the flow is being redirected ;)

picture.php

1/2" poly runs from the pump to this tee, then forms a loop.

picture.php

I used a 3/32 drill bit to punch holes in the 1/2" poly loop for 1/4" straight barb fittings. The fittings were sealed with silicone. The equal lengths of 1/4" poly run up to each pot.

picture.php

Apparently i'm not the only one that had the idea to build a drip system. Three hydro stores in my area were out of basket stakes, so I improvised. Back to home de pot and grabbed a bag of 1/4" tees. They work pretty damn well for spreading the feed evenly throughout both sides of the pot.

picture.php

picture.php

Anyway that should give an idea of how it came together. Now on to the plants. First up is my jack herer, going to be a beast.

picture.php

Mystery Seed

picture.php

picture.php

Winner Pheno Satori

picture.php

picture.php

Keeper Pheno Satori

picture.php

Sky Rocket Pheno Satori with much better structure this time around.

picture.php

picture.php

one Q

Quality
Veteran
things are looking mighty fine right now. I cant wait to see your Satori SRp ripen up. Ive never had the chance to run JHer, tho the wife tells me the smoke is ridiculous.

Mister_D

Veteran
One Q - Thanks, fingers crossed I killed the RA and they stay healthy this round. Also looking forward to the sky rocket. Oddly last round it had the worst node spacing, but the prettiest buds of the lot. I was going to kill the clone, but it was growing so well I decided to keep it. Should be interesting to see what she does this time around. If you get a chance to grab some jack, do it. I can't speak for the seed strain, but it's a legend for a reason. This particular cut ranks number 3 on my list of best ever smokes, and i've been puffing for over 20 years. Stay tuned, good things are coming...

Josey - let me know how the met 52 works out for you. I think i've got the RA snuffed out, but just in case.

Mister_D

Veteran
Happy New Years everyone :wave:. Seems like a good day for an update. Flower room is now getting two 1 min feedings. First one at lights on, the second 3 hours before lights off. Feedings are approx. 1/2 quart each. No water is given while the lights are off. Using 5ml grow + 5ml bloom per US gal. + the additives listed in the first post.

Satori's and the mystery seed at 21 days 12/12

picture.php

picture.php

Mystery Seed at 17 days 12/12
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jack Herrer Day 21 12/12

picture.php

Romulan Day 1 12/12

picture.php

As always this lady is purple through and through

picture.php

And a satori stem for comparison

picture.php

The Architect - Thanks for stopping by. Hope things go better this round also.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good Mister D, your going to love that Romulan, I should have kept that strain but I only have so much room. One thing though, you know "sometimes" (depending on the strain) purple stems can possibly mean a deficiency of Cal-Mag, but I stress this is strain dependent.

Good luck your gunna rock it with those strains!

Mister_D

Veteran
I DO love this romulan. Been growing it for a couple years now, and it always has purple stems. The buds are all green though, and very frosty ;). She was sold to me as the bazooka joe cut, but I have no way of confirming that. Either way it's some fire not to be taken lightly, produces some of the finest hash too. You are correct about purple stems being a symptom of cal-mag deficency. In this case it's just genetics, thats the reason why I included a picture of a green satori stem. Probably should have noted that before. Anyway hope you are enjoying the show.