What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mister D's Vertical Redemption

Bonzo

Veteran
damn D! aphids suck ass! glad the SM90 is workin' for ya...i have allways used it and am going to get some asap...it can be used in coco? sounds like yours rooms are comin' along nicely though! bet it feels good knowin' all the wiring is tight and right! what is an air lock?

Mister_D

Veteran
SM-90

SM-90

Should have listened to DHF sooner about this stuff. Thought it was just a preventive for root infestation, but it actually has many uses. Sold as a wetting agent due in part to labeling restrictions. It kills root aphids and fungus gnats for sure, and was originally designed for spider mites (I haven't tested that). Might kill other pests also. Third thing it does is acts as a root stimulator. Oh plants love it, and it smells really good. Apply 5ml per gal. at everywatering in soil/coco and at every res change in hydro from clone/seedling until flush.

All new root growth two days after SM-90. This plant has root aphids by the way.

picture.php

There is some conflicting information about using Sm-90 with beneficial bacteria. According to the company it only kills anaerobic (bad) bacteria. Dongle69 here at the mag confirmed this with a microscope. I won't be growing without it any more.

The other stuff i'll be using to win the battle

picture.php

Bayer advanced - Probably start at 10ml per gal. Root Drench

Spectricide - 8ml per gal. Testing on two clones right now. Root Drench

Malathion - 5ml per gal. Foliar Only. I tried using this as a root drench (at 15ml per gal.), killed several of my mothers and badly damaged the flower plants. No issues with foliar spraying. It might be ok for root drench at a lower concentration, but for now i'm not going to bother. The active ingredient is dissolved in oil, no bueno for roots.

Pond Enzymes - Probably a capful in 10 gals (Directions say a capfull in 100 gal.). Going to pm fred and ask him what he amounts used.

Mister_D

Veteran
Bonz - Yes aphids suck big hairy monkey balls and DHF told me about SM-90 and coco. I take anything freds recommends to the bank. Hardest pest i've ever had to get rid of, but I think between the SM-90, bayer, spectricide, and plenty of determination i'll beat the little fuckers once and for all. An airlock is simpily a small room built around the entrance to your grow. Ideally both doors are air tight so when you enter the first door very little outside air comes in, then when opening the second door smell isn't allowed to escape to the outside (works great for making sure no light escapes when I leave the grow too). Science labs use a bit more complicated version in clean rooms. Here is a picture to give you a better idea. Pretty simple really. Open this door, go in close it, open the outside door and leave no light or smell leaks.

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
I'll have to snap some pictures of the clones. Thought I had already, but I guess not. Anyway there are 72 of them rooted. Unfortunately they are differing sizes due to the ph problems and the root aphids. I plan to bury the taller ones deeper at transplant to help even things out. Picked up some more coco and a couple other things.

picture.php

Giving coco chips a try as I like a really high air content in my media. Expanded a brick of chips yesterday. Love the texture, but the salt content of these is bricks is pretty high (2.4ec). Thats ok I figured out a great way to flush coco without making a big mess. Dropped by the hydro shop and picked up a 30 gal. root pot.

picture.php

Put that inside a tough box from home depot

picture.php

Fill with water to expand the brick. Once expanded slide/lift the root pot out of the tough box and use your hose or showerhead to flush water through. I flushed mine in the bath tub, but it could easily be done outside or in a big sink. End result is this.

picture.php

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
Just a couple other random things.

9 of 12 lights up over the veg table. The other 3 are being used for clones at the moment. I was planning to use two 400w CMH in non-vent blockbuster reflectors. However I had to go over thinking things, which lead to allot more research on how light behaves. Long story short I'm testing a couple theories. First being a linear light source should give a more even canopy over point source light. The second is something I noticed in my big room. I am able to achieve such high yields per light because of all the spill over from neighboring lights. I hope to use these concepts to my advantage in the veg room. The decision to use t-8 over t-5 was based on using 800w. The t-8's work out to give the most even lighting coverage with alloted watts.

picture.php

Put wheels on my veg table. Makes life so much easier.

picture.php

Dyna Gro is great shit, but why not buy the raw ingredient for alot less. I got a pound for ~30 bucks shipped. Will be using 0.5 grams per gallon or nute solution. So 906 gal. of silica for 30 bucks.

picture.php

Last but not least, new router. Will be using this for cutting intake/exhaust holes between veg and flower. More on that when I get there.

picture.php

bobblehead

Veteran
Looking good bro... A complete root drench with bayer should kill those aphid fucks... But it takes about a month for the plants to recover ime. Keep ur head up and hydrate your coco with bayer from now on to guarantee a clean start. You've gotta flush that shit anyway, right?

Freds advocates soaking dead rootballs still in the pot in enzymes... So the enzymes do their work between runs. 1 less thing to put in the reservoir.

What ratio are you running of coir to chips? I do 50/50 - you're the first person I've seen online who also mixes these two.

Also, line source light degrades at 1/r whereas point source light degrades at 1/r^2, so clearly the closer you can get to line source light, the better :)

Mister_D

Veteran
Bonz - Ya buddy :woohoo:. Can't be laying down on the job ya know :laughing:

One Q - What's up bro? Glad to see you are still lurking.

Bobble - What dose of imid are you using when hydrating new bricks of coco? Using tree and shrub or the advance? Looking for some place local that sells those horse troughs or whatever they are for soaking root balls between runs. Not sure what happened to my old ones from the RDWC days. Freds taught me about them and pond enzymes years ago, just never implimented the idea. Kind of like the sm-90, another should have listened to freds sooner moment :laughing:

Tommy - Yup 50/50 on the chips and coir, will also be adding 25% floor dry. Works out to 6 cuft of chips + 6 cuft of coir + 3 cuft of floor dry. This is an untested mix so we'll just see what happens.
Are you also mixing chips and coir? If so what ratio are you using? Right you are about the light ;). Basicly I have a 4x8' light, almost every inch of the table gets exactly the same amount of light. If it works i'll be doing the same thing with another table right next to this one. 1600w should create lots of overlap for stronger growth with less wattage. Plus those shop lights are stupid cheap :biggrin:.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great stuff man I'm sub'd
I'm interested to see what you do with the router, got me one for Xmas.
Grow on bro :D

Mister_D

Veteran
Critter - Glad to have you on board. Love your avatar btw. I'm going to either buy or build a router compass so my holes are clean and pretty, unlike my man bonz :laughing: (Sorry bro just giving you some shit :comfort:). I'll be sure to take pictures when I get to that point. I've been quietly planning for months, and now it's time to put things into play. Still lots to be done, but great things come from humble beginings.

Bonz - Ya buddy :woohoo:. Can't be laying down on the job ya know :laughing:

One Q - What's up bro? Glad to see you are still lurking.

Bobble - What dose of imid are you using when hydrating new bricks of coco? Using tree and shrub or the advance? Looking for some place local that sells those horse troughs or whatever they are for soaking root balls between runs. Not sure what happened to my old ones from the RDWC days. Freds taught me about them and pond enzymes years ago, just never implimented the idea. Kind of like the sm-90, another should have listened to freds sooner moment :laughing:

Tommy - Yup 50/50 on the chips and coir, will also be adding 25% floor dry. Works out to 6 cuft of chips + 6 cuft of coir + 3 cuft of floor dry. This is an untested mix so we'll just see what happens.
Are you also mixing chips and coir? If so what ratio are you using? Right you are about the light ;). Basicly I have a 4x8' light, almost every inch of the table gets exactly the same amount of light. If it works i'll be doing the same thing with another table right next to this one. 1600w should create lots of overlap for stronger growth with less wattage. Plus those shop lights are stupid cheap :biggrin:.

Yup, I run 50/50...........takes three bags of each (six total, use the exact same brand of coir and chips that you do) to fill my PVC structure.

Run a top drip DTW setup, been feeding for sixty seconds every two hours.

Mister_D

Veteran
Soon I'll be calling this place the white house :biggrin:

One coat on the wood, two coats on the drywall.

picture.php

All walls and the ceiling will get two coats of primer. Haven't settled on what I will use for a top coat. Leaning toward flat white with added titanium dioxide.

picture.php

Shhh - Sup buddy :wave:

Tommy - Sweet, glad to hear it's already working well for you.

bobblehead

Veteran

I treat my coco @5ml a gallon, which is the same amount I would use for an infestation. When it comes to pesticide, I use full strength 100% of the time. If you don't kill all of the bugs, the ones that remain can become resistant... and then their offspring become superbugs... Like the mites out in Cali... dirty fuckers... lol

When it comes to Fred's advice... It's generally better to listen sooner than later ime... ha ha...

Mister_D

Veteran
Bobble - Thanks bro :good:. I usually use full strength myself, but with the imid i've seen people use between 4-45ml per gal., and no one else I know of is doing a maintance soaking. So I thought it best to ask first. Are you using tree and shrub or the advance version? Think you said tree and shrub in your thread, guess I better do some reading. lol and yes always better to listen to freds sooner than later. The mans been teaching me things under different screen names for probably 15 years, you'd think in that time I would have learned to just follow his advice and forget the rest. Alas I keep having the occasional moment where I say to myself, freds already told you about this. Then I find myself doing one of these :wallbash:

bobblehead

Veteran
Yeah the tree and shrub. 5mL is plenty... It's enough for the plants to have a negative reaction... That's in part why I've switched to hydrating the coco with Bayer, let it chill until I'm ready to use it... No bugs are going to crawl into a bed of poison, and if they do, they'll die... and then fill the pots, and flush them before inserting plants. We have to ensure a clean start every time. There's too much to lose by not adding a little insecticide and taking the time to flush it out later.

Mister_D

Veteran
Bobble - I want to say thanks for everything you have shared. Your threads have motivated me to change up my grow style and saved me countless hours of thought when it comes to design and setup. I know some people have lost faith that you will hit those 8-12lb babyshit harvests, but I know better. It's all about having every aspect tuned in. Freds keeps sayin it "All the little things", like presoaking media to insure no pests for example ;). One more question for ya. Have you settled on an amount of flush for a given pot size (i.e 2 gals of flush water for a 1 gal pot)?

Oh and to everyone I noticed something yesterday that made me smile. I started tearing down that eye sore of a self that's taking up so much room in my bloom area. Just so happens that the pieces of that shelf are the same deminsions of the racks I was planning to build anyway. This means all I need is about 20 bucks worth of 2x4's to build my racks :woohoo:. Much less cutting involved and the shelves are made of cdx so they will be even stronger than what I planned to build. Starting to feel like I was meant to build these racks and show bobble how an 10lb babyshit harvest is really done :laughing:. Well at least after bobble shows me hows it's done first :biggrin:

bobblehead

Veteran
Lol... I'm still waiting for somebody to beat me to the punch... Bring it. ;). I already have my genetics sorted... Which is a key a lot of you are missing.

Edit: as far as the flushing... Idk b/c i haven't been doing it long enough... But RO to runoff seems to work well... And don't forget to feed right away with cal/mag.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts