What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First post, First grow

Dude no worry! Your going to fast. Slow down and enjoy the grow! CFLs will get you farther then you think (i still veg with them), and you can always up the watt! Just temp worry about veg, wich buys you time on flwr. It's hard to "veg to long" at this point in the game.

All is well
As long as there is love
love it we shall
Peaces out
Put your piece out:smoke::joint:
-All4TheLuvOfIt

What does the curling of leaf tips downward mean? From my research, I'm guessing overwatering but I'm not sure.

What about yellow leaf tips?

There is also some white residue that could be a fungus or mold or something?

PLEASE HELP.

Pictures would def help figure out what these problems are, but my quess would be...

Curling leaves could be over watering, under watering, stress, fans blowing on them, etc.

The yellowing is prob a nitrogen deficiency.

If its on the leaves, your white moldy looking shit, is prob exactly that, Powdered Mildew! It's time for you to go to battle buddy!

Good luck and post some good pics so we can tell for sure what's going on.

Here's a picture of one of the specimens I'm talking about. Notice curling/wilting.
ifza5v.jpg

AlexTrebek

Cold air intake for 500!
What I did was attach a heater to a vortex drawing outside 0' C canadian winter air. I could adjust it with the heater on high / low and i could draw anywhere from 71' C air up to 78' C air into the room. Have a good grow and remember the knowledge you've acquired on the forums, it will reward you.
:tiphat:

It's looking like over watering. Use a spray bottle to water seeds and clones. Must the soil and just keep doing that til they have enough water. Small seedlings and clones just want most soil, not soaking. Let them dry really good before the next water (days if need be). If your soil is two wet it will do two things. Your roots won't grow, and you can lock out nutes (you shouldn't be aging any yet any ways).

Ps what spoil are you using?

Haven't used any nutes whatsoever yet... The soil is a basic indoor potting soil. I'm almost positive it's overwatering and the roots are locked. I'm going to transplant all of them into 3.5 gallon pots with better soil and inspect the roots to see what's up. Hopefully this will fix things.

We're back in business! A couple plants may not make it but overall I'm happy.

A lot of things were very very wrong:

#1 - After the seeds sprouted in the rockwool, I put them in Miracle Grow Organic potting soil which is just horrible. The soil had lots of garbage in it (bark, twigs, etc.) and it was just way too damp all the time with no aeration. I transplanted the sick seedlings into 3.5 gallon pots with a pH balanced mix of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite, 5% vermiculite, 5% bat guano, 5% worm castings, 2.5% limestone, 2.5% dolomite.

#2 - The temperatures we're way off because of the lights being always on and the lack of circulation/ventilation. To fix the temps, I installed two thermometers, a humidity/temp controller and a 400cfm inline Active Air fan. Added some bigger intake holes and things are looking a lot better now. Also switched over to an 18/6 light cycle.

Making the last push of work this week to finish off the room and get it ready for (hopefully) a profitable flowering season.

(Still trying to get a camera for pics!)

48287427.jpg

#1. A picture of an average plant... some are a bit bigger, some are smaller.

23033603.jpg

#2. This one is twisting and bending every which way, making me think it's a hermie or something. Anyone know?

66256717.jpg

#3. A fine specimen, looking strong and healthy.

87697307.jpg

#4. Group shot.

25918756.jpg

#5. What's wrong with this little runt?

21018139.jpg

#6. Just running two ballasts at the moment. Nice build though for how cheap they were. Let's hope they last a few cycles.

77912626.jpg

#7. A panned out view of the room through the door. You can see that it is 'panda paper' throughout, 3.5 gallon pots, and some aluminum ducting in the back.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hey dj,
I've always used a ph meter that was about $100 bucks new and $60 each time I break the glass end...also needs constant re calibration. I bought some test paper to have as a back up and I really prefer it to the meter now. it has a good color scale that you can read over the color of the Lucas formula. amazon has it. "Ph Test Strips Dispenser - .2 Intervals for Accurate Saliva or Urine PH Testing - Immediate Results"
your plants will shower you with resin later if you keep the ph where they can use it best.
good luck!

UPDATE

UPDATE

- All the carbon filter materials have been bought except for the carbon which will be picked up later this week from a local pet store.

- Ordered the Milwaukee ph 600 meter for $25. I've heard conflicting reviews but supposedly as long as you take good care of it and calibrate it, it can be used for years.

- Purchased a pump and watering hose to make things easier.

- The lights now all have 8-inch Honeywells under them.

- Labeled all the plants and then cloned them right after these pictures were taken.

The store only had three white fans left so we had to get one black one.
2njm5ir.jpg

Typical specimen.
rj2i5c.jpg

A droopy one... Anyone know what's wrong? Some of them have been like this for quite awhile. I'm assuming it's either heat stress or over-watering and if it is heat stress then hopefully the newly placed Honeywells will help.
2ceqj3q.jpg

Some more droop.
33ackg1.jpg

A view of the left side of the room from above.
2n8ncbk.jpg

Hey guys, I just wanna post how much I've spent and see where I could have shaved a few dollars off because it cost way more than I thought.

Item Price
Seeds 168.34
Lights (4x400w HPS) 580
Lights (1x400w MH) 100
Atmosphere Controller 152.95
Rockwool 15
Air Pumps + Airstones 20
Seedling Dome 10
Shipping 100
Utilities/tools 100
Panda Paper 86
Utilities 16.93