What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First post, First grow

UPDATE

UPDATE

Sorry for the long hiatus, been busy with the holidays. Some clones didn't quite make it so I'm having to delay flowering for a bit longer... but not too long because these bitches be getting BIG.

One of the pods, alone
732fba.jpg

Two of the pods, side by side
25qu1s8.jpg

Jungle Pic, looking up from the bottom
2zz3m9u.jpg

New growth, looking pretty healthy
289lrt.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, but what does the leaf curling/twisting mean?
9r57o1.jpg

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
It looks like to much nutes. I have a strain that does the same thing because it does not want any nutes. Flush with PHed water and reduce the nutes.

nugmaster

Nice op... Think I will tag along... It could be over watering also... As this to can cause your leaves to curl under...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Your downward curl is called the claw. Do a search for it and you will see what your plant are doing above.

Here are some pictures of how you can train your plants to bamboo stacks to get maximum light exposure. Either cross the stacks in a small pot, or straight up if you have a larger pot. Use white pipe cleaners and tie them loosely so as not to strangle your plant when it grows. If you can't get white pipe cleaners get bright colored so they are easy to find at harvest time. The stacks will also keep the plants from getting to close to the light.

looks good IC.

picture.php

picture.php

Good news or bad news? This is turning into a tree grow. :yummy:

Due to cloning problems, I still haven't flipped so it's been 79 days since the seeds sprouted. I'm sure my plants are much smaller than an experienced grower would have after 79 days of veg but these babies are getting BIG. The bad part is I still don't know the sexes but that will change in a few days when I flip. Once I get the males out, I'm going to concentrate the remaining plants into TWO donuts (instead of the four now) and stack the lights (800w a donut) for some really large and thick girls. :smokeit:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Sounds like it's one big learning experience, have fun.

79 days of veg...shit I don't veg at all doing SOG grows...clones straight on to 12/12.

Keep it up...experiment and dial a method in.

You'll be right.

Cheers.

Wish I would have seen your cloning thread earlier, you make it so simple and easy! I guess I did three things wrong all this time:

- didn't heat the bottom of the tray/clones
- left the dome on for too long
- didn't give them any nutes/fertz at all

Your plants also look a bit bigger than the ones I took. Anyways, thanks for stopping in!

High Country

Veteran
With clones the main thing is stable temps, 24C or 75F...healthy, hydrated mother plants...keep the clones small, trim them...and don't poke or pull them for at least 3 weeks...patience is required.

And don't put a big HID light over them.

High Country

Veteran
One more thing...until the clones have roots they don't need fertiliser...when they have roots they can start feeding, then I just use a solution of seaweed extract...not hydro nutes...only when they're in the ebb/flow tray does the EC level ramp up with the hydro shit.

Flowering day 1 (Day 81)

Flowering day 1 (Day 81)

Finally flipped to 12/12 after getting a few loose ends taken care of and having some confidence in the the most recent round of cuttings. I took a set of photos last night but the quality is poor, so I will do another tonight just before lights come on and post them later.

I have a few questions in regards to what I can expect with these plants in the flowering period as there are a few curiosities with the way they developed during an extremely long (80 days) vegging period. Before I ask them, I'll describe these curiosities in point-form:

1) Health -- overall, health of the plants is "good" in my judgement. Since I am running 6 strains (AK47, Ice, Crystal, PPP, White Widow and Big Bud) the general feeding and growing tactics I have used have had some differing results plant-to-plant. However, 8/16 Lucas Formula has had generally good results except for a little bit of downward clawing on a few plants. I suspect this is due to over-fertilizing as Ichabod pointed out.
2) Size -- the plants are potted in peatmoss/perlite in 2 gallon pots. The extremely long veg period (under HPS only) has led to an average height of about 36'', however, three or four have reached 46". With the exception of two very short ones (one was topped early as an experiment and one simply grew extermely stocky) all plants have hit at least 30''.
3) Humidity/Temp/Airflow -- I have managed to dial in temperatures. They are consistently around 27C with a drop of 3 or 4 degrees during the dark period. I'm happy with this. However, the nature of the system is this: I am in Canada, and it is winter. Airflow moves through the tent from the outside, and is vented into the rest of the house. The fan is on a temp-controller, so air only flows when the temperature needs to be corrected. The intake ducts are set directly beneath the sub-HID Honeywells so there isn't a concern about cold-air streams. The air mixed with the column of heat surrounding the bulb and there are no discernable pockets of cold-air. However, the consequence of basing airflow on temperature is an inability to effectively control humidity. Therefore, depending on outside conditions (extremely cold, dry air, or mild humid air on certain days) humidity is general out of my control. It generally hovers around 60%, but I have found no way to tack this in. It can fluctuate +/- 20% over the course of days/nights.
4) Trimming/Prunning - As this is a vertical grow, I have trained as much viable growth from the back into the canopy. The majority of the rest of it has been stripped down leaving a bare backside on most plants. This is how I wanted it, but I haven't had any specific feedback to this technique.

Still with me? Great! Here come the questions:

1) What issues can would you predict I will have with the plants during flowering? I'm aware that's a very broad question, but given the above info can you see any problems arising / has anyone done a run-through like this and could you share some insights with me? I'm particularly concerned about the height. Available vertical space isn't an issue, unless they more than double. Do plants generally maintain structural integrity as they stretch or should I be planning for very weak plants that need to be held up in defiance of gravity? Obviously buds will need to be supported, but as a whole can I rely on the plant not stretching beyond it's stem's capacity to mainting the weight of its non-bud foliage?
2) If the 8/16 Lucas formula worked during veg, is there any need to revist the concentrations for flower? PPM is generally around 1000 after the mix is complete. I occasionally drop some 1-0-0 CalMag in and white vinegar to lower ph. For the most part, Lucas seemed to maintain a good ph, avoid neut-burn and led to some incredibly hearty growth-spurts. In light of this, would changing the formula to reduce N (which would lead to a reduction in the micronutrients in FloraMicro) be something I should look into? This would be done with an eye to reducing the intensity of the stretch. Obviously, I will be flushing around 2 weeks out from harvest but in the mean time is there a proven method to limit stretch while still promoting healthy, full-bodied fruit?
3) While getting feeding and watering dialed in, the plants went through a few periods of water-deprivation stress. The usual, substantial droop that occurs when medium dries out also led to a lot of lower growth yellowing, then wilting, then dying. My tactic for this has always been to simply tug on the leaf to remove it. Larger fan leaves that had yellowed and begun to brown but did not come off with a tug were simply cut at the stem. All the plants have more or less recovered from these stresses, however I'm concerned that moving forward these historical stress-periods may have precipitated a survival-mode of nutrient uptake/storage/usage. Could this be cause for concern? Might this lead to -- in the least worrisome case -- reduced yield? And in a worst-case scenario, should I be on the lookout for hermies?

Thanks for tuning in and lending a hand! All advice is appreciated.

Flowering Day 38 (Day 119)

Flowering Day 38 (Day 119)

Still going, still growing. No pics because no one checks here. Some plants are lagging a bit behind because they got nutrient locked but we did a lot of flushing and now they are looking better.

The ones that are looking good are looking awesome. Very frosty.

Check back in a couple weeks, maybe with pictures if anyone wants some!

Mister_D

Veteran
I'll take a crack at your questions :)

1. I don't see any "problems" arising from your humidity swings. It's not ideal and will as a result effect your overall yield, but nothing too serious. No worries about weak stems, plants will grow to support themselves be it a foot tall or 15 feet tall. Having to support buds is a good thing and usually a sign you are doing something right ;)

2. No need to adjust the lucas formula, it works great as is. You could however maintain the same 8/16 ratio and dilute it down to 750-800ppm without hurting anything. (basicly just mix 8/16 for a few gal. less than is in your res). Plants don't need high ppm feed. Some can take it without problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need that much for top preformance. If you are concerned about stretch (I think you'd be fine as long as you have 6 ft of vertical growing height) you can start flower on an 11/13 cycle and change over to 12/12 after 2-3 weeks when stretch has stopped. This will lower the amount of stretch, without depriving you plants of needed nutes.

3. Severe over-drying of roots will effect yeilds also as some roots inevitably died during that period of stress. However as long as it's not a constantly reoccuring theme in your grow you have nothing to worry about. Focus on maintaining as optimal enviroment as you can in all aspects for top yield, but remember this is a weed and will continue to grow inspite of abuse, neglect, stresses etc.

Now lets see more pics of that dank :)

northstate

ICMag Donor
Booyah! Looking good and super crystal covered! Learning while you go is the only way to get better, take notes if you can maybe on a calendar in the room. Helps to give you a history and the ability to reflect on technique. Again though looks very nice.NS

Some cola shots while harvesting
image.jpg

All trimmed up
image.jpg

Curing... bud is REALLY dry and crispy so I moistened some paper towel surrounded by tin foil and poked some holes. Try to get some freshness back in.
image.jpg

Typical nug, nice and frosty
image.jpg

Waiting to do a final weigh until we're happy with the bud quality.

Latest posts

Latest posts